closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Perlon -- is cheap worth it?

Perlon -- is cheap worth it?

Hello All

I've just bought three Eulit Perlons: a Palma and Panama both in brown 20mm and a Kristall in blue at 18mm

Even saving by combining the postage these set me back £42.93 GBP (€46.00 with the stupid exchange rate) so that's an average of over £14 per strap.

Having handled but not used them I must say I'm disappointed: they feel stiff and plasticky compared with some soft, flexible and much more "fabric-like" old ones I have.

Questions:

Will they become more supple, more like a nice nylon and less like a cheap mesh?

Should I just return them and buy some at £3 each inc. p&p from some cheapo ebay outfit? (I mean, how much better or worse can a perlon strap be? So the buckle will probably be plated rather than stainless steel but surely they won't be x5 worse?)

What say ye?

Thanks

I bought a Eulit Panama and was similarly disappointed in how hard it is compared to the really cheap ones - undoubtedly a sturdier construction, but...

They melted the material in so many places that it creates hard, scratchy parts! Totally unacceptable on straps that cost so much. I tried to remove the sharpness, but even with most of them removed, it's just not as comfortable as the cheapo ones.

Would definitely not buy again.

Did you buy from Yellys? I get the total with postage to come to around CHF44 so it sounds like you were stuffed on the exchange rate but that's life at the moment.

You can't beat vintage Eulit Panama but these days you'll pay that sort of money for just one, if you can find them available anywhere.

I don't like thin weave Perlon straps other than on the lightest of watches so that rules out modern Panama and Kristall, leaving the Eulit Palma. I've found mine to be okay over time - maybe give it a chance.

M

Master
    I’ve got 4 eulit in different colours and found they soften up in use, mine get dirty and hence need washed so that might have something to do with it, bought through eBay from a German dealer and found them reasonable(recent exchange rates may change that) different sellers have different prices but usually combined postage on a couple helps cost.

Thanks all. I know the mostly you get what you pay for but there's also a law of diminishing returns and the Veblen-y hype of names and labels. And how good / bad can a perlon strap actually be?

I'm tempted to splash out another ten or twenty quid on some lesser known ones (Ullchro, Bornbayb, Meyhofer and DaLuca) and then there's millions of unbranded, no-name three quid jobs. Get 'em all together and do a definitive review!

My old perlons are all very silky smooth and supple, like synthetic fabric -- not like woven plastic.

I think for £40 these might have to go back. And the Palma's buckle has a springbar, which counteracts some of the extra security you get from a one-piece pull-through. (Ideally Perlon and NATO straps really need shoulderless spring bars, or the flanges can snag on the weave of the fabric and pop them out. Although not both of them at once so you can get away with normal ones. Shoulderless looks so much better though.)

Quote Originally Posted by Rev-O View Post
    I'm tempted to splash out another ten or twenty quid on some lesser known ones (Ullchro, Bornbayb, Meyhofer and DaLuca) and then there's millions of unbranded, no-name three quid jobs. Get 'em all together and do a definitive review!
    I would definitely be interested if you do that. Been wanting a good perlon strap for ages but there don't seem to be any decent comparisons around at all, just lots of opinions about whether Eulit are the best thing since sliced bread, or mediocre at best. Nothing about other brands at all.

I was just about to write a lament about Eddie's "tropical NATO" no longer existing, but I just had a look and it seems he has some in stock. I must have missed that. It's a pity that (a) they are only available in black and (b) he's closed for the next week. I will set myself a reminder to order one of those later. I remember the old ones being really comfy.

I prefer the weave of a Panama to a Krystal or Palma.

All the Panama's I've had (and that's a lot!) have been a little still at first but they have moulded themselves to the profile of the rear of the watch and my wrist after a few weeks also becoming softer. The only thing that has caused me discomfort is the join on the keeper which I have found can be rough and scratchy. With this is simple a case of rotating it so the seam faces outwards and not in contact with the skin.

Buy cheap, buy twice

Perlon -- is cheap worth it?

Perennial topic.

I have several Eulits and find others aren’t worth the risk. Eulits are simply Made Better.

I thought Kristalls were discontinued. :( I have three, wearing one right now. If you don’t like yours, I’ll take it, and will happily pay postage. ;) PM me.

I love good perlons because you can soak them in warm water to rinse off sweat and dirt, and the warm water softens them up so you can shape them back with the tongue-hole (hehe) gone.

Will they soften in time? Sure with proper care and rinsing. I’ll be happy to break in yours for you at no charge.

Last edited by ChromeJob; 22nd July 2019 at 00:21.

^^^ thanks!

Kristall still in production but not all straps are available in all colours or sizes. I really wanted a 20mm brown one but that's not an option

https://www.eulit.de/alles/3/kristall

Just ordered some Mayhofer "Atmore" perlons.

If anyone wants to but some of the other branded ones (Ullchro, Bornbayb, DaLuca; there may be more) plus some of the "German-made" or "Made In Germany" ones on ebay that would be great (no disrespect but I'm not dropping £100 on a dozen perlon straps) then I'll do a side-by-side review / comparison and return them to you

I'm happy to buy some of the £3 cheapies (presumably Chinese tat?) and see how they look, feel and perform.

Meanwhile, I'm busy breaking-in my Eulit "Panama" so, let's how that goes. I have to say that for the price I'm yet to be convinced they are worth it.

For cross-referencing purposes I've also posted this here:

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...38#post5157338
    Last edited by Rev-O; 25th July 2019 at 13:44.

Watching this with interest. Was looking to order some

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In general, when you buy cheaper product, you get what you pay for.

Looked at the recommended site for buying eulit person yellies? It’s a nightmare site to use especially on the phones!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by ChromeJob View Post
    In general, when you buy cheaper product, you get what you pay for.
    What do you get if you buy expensive products?

On the right watch, Perlon rules.

Right, I've got some Meyhofer "Atmore" perlons

Lots of pics online that I can't improve on so I'll just give my impressions.

Cheaper than Eulit -- but not a three quid Chinese jobbie (they are "Made In The EU" apparently.)

Much softer and more supple than Eulit, but not as fabric-y as some unbranded vintage ones I have.

Almost identical thickness and weave as the Panama.

The brown is a tad lighter (i.e. it's brown rather than the Eulit's dark brown)

Can be "pulled" wider, i.e. the weave will open out, unlike the Eulit which seems to be sealed (and slightly shiny) on the underside as if bonded.

Heat-sealed ends are acceptable, not as neat as the Eulit, especially on the keeper.

Buckle: cheap, not the worst I've ever seen but down there near the bottom. Made from plated base metal (?), look like they've been cut from beer cans with tin snips. Still, I have seen worse. But not much.

I will report back when I've worn them for a bit but right now I'm tempted to stick it on a Eulit buckle and have the softness and suppleness (and, imho, nicer colour) on the superior hardware. Best of both and all that.

Cheers!