closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Would you leave home with your watch showing the wrong time.

Master

Would you leave home with your watch showing the wrong time.

A true story from yesterday...as i emerged from my local Rolex dealer i noticed a man wearing a Rolex Daytona the newer one with ceramic bezel and white face.

I am not one normally to try and engage with people with nice watches but you don't see many of these up north.

Anyway it turned out he was very knowledgeable about watches and we had a good chat for 10 minutes.

I was about to leave when i noticed the watch was showing the time as 11.45 when the real time was nearer to 15.30.I asked him why and he said "i just grabbed it out of the watch box and did not bother setting the time"

So here we have a 15k plus watch that was nothing more than a piece of jewellery for what would take less than a minute to set...no date or GMT etc.

So my question do you bother setting the time or have you done the same thing.

If running late for work I set the time quickly to within about 5 mins then set properly to the laptop clock at work as I motorbike it.

A previous boss had a two tone DJ36 with diamond hour markers and mother of pearl dial on jubilee. She never set the time ever in her life. It was set once when leaving the store and that was it. She said she has her phone for telling the time and "Rolex isn't a watch anyway, it's jewelry, I wear it just as a nice bracelet".

Wondering why people with no interest in watches are on a watch forum?
    Blog Entries
    Regularly put an auto on out of the box without setting the time in a morning, for example driving to work, and set it when I have a chance.

I’ve sometimes started doing something and forgot until later in the day but hey-ho!

Apprentice
    If I'm in a rush I'll set it roughly to the right minute, but at the first chance I get I'll set it properly. I enjoy the process in the morning of choosing which watch to wear and the process of setting the time, winding, etc.

Master
    Blog Entries
    My brother does it all the time with his Moonwatch,

If I’m I a rush I’ll just grab the one I want and wear it. Once it’s had a bit of shaking on the wrist and is going I’ll set it properly and wind it. All depends on time and how the kids are behaving!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    I'm always late when leaving so if my watch has stopped then yes I will leave and then set it when I can - normally at work when I realise its wrong!

Master
    Blog Entries
    No and thrice no.

I’ve got a very nice PRS18 COSC if I am in a hurry.

Nope, either I have time and I'll wind / set one of the automatic watches or take a quartz

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    My OCD would get the better of me - couldn’t even quickly set it. Probably why I wear my watches for quite a few days at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by bwest76 View Post
    No and thrice no.

I’ve got a very nice PRS18 COSC if I am in a hurry.
    This.
    (But without the PRS18!)

Craftsman
    Yep, I often leave the house without setting the time (or for a few watches, without even winding them!) and will sort it out when I get to work. Is there a saying for that? Boss makes a dollar, I make a dime, that's why I set my watch on company time? I'll get my coat...

Craftsman
    Yep many times, but it normally gets corrected as soon as I spot my lack of attention tin fully preparing for the day.

Blog Entries
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Master
    I always get up 2 hours before I have to leave for work so plenty of time to pick and set. I'd just feel like a prat wearing a watch that isn't set.

Quote Originally Posted by RJM25R View Post
    Regularly put an auto on out of the box without setting the time in a morning, for example driving to work, and set it when I have a chance.

I’ve sometimes started doing something and forgot until later in the day but hey-ho!
    I'm exactly the same lately.
    It's just a matter of time...

Craftsman
    Guilty of leaving home without setting a few times if rushing out the door, then I’ll set it once I’ve driven to where I need to be.

Don’t use the watch in the car.

Master
    NO, and the time would have to be spot on.

Craftsman
    Yeah when I’m in a rush

Master
    No chance, my OCD wouldn't allow. If any watch is out (even just the date) I'd have to take the minute of so to correct.
    That said if I'm heading to work there's no issue as I wear a G-shock

No, never. Actually the only time when my watch showed wrong time was at early days of Speedmaster ownership - I did forgot to wind it and it stopped.

My first reaction was to type 'never' - however if I am honest its happened on a handful of occasions, mainly when I have been in a disorganised rush due to missing the alarm clock etc.

Usually, I check whatever I'm wearing using the TimeIs website.

Thomas Reid
    I always find time to set the time properly. When out and about, I never use a phone for time telling..

Best wishes,
    Bob

No because I use my watch so that I know what the time is.

Half of you are a bunch of wierdos.

That's probably why I love you all so much.

The other half do the right thing

That's probably why I love you all so much.

Master
    I physically could not do that, I'd be unable to leave the house.

a nope here, always leave with the right time showing, if I don't think I will have time in the morning with my autos I set the night before & stick it on my winder so its a grab and go , no matter if I am in a rush ,sorted

What’s the point of wearing a watch if it’s showing the wrong time, so no.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

It’s easily done, but I generally set the time as soon as Ii notice.

Usually im in a rush in the morning, so by the time i’ve gotten washed, dressed, picked first watch caffinated, realised first watch’s strap doesnt match socks, changed to second watch, looked in mirror and thought not today, grabbed third, forth, fifth... settled on option 1, changed strap on option 20 and then given and left house with option 11 (and option 5 in my pocket), i’m running very late.

Then i realise its 4.23am and had I could’ve had a few more hours kip

I’ve had to do this very thing more than once this week!

I have ‘dodgy’ fingers and that ‘less than a minute’ thing of setting the time, sometimes takes absolutely ages, to the extent I’ve just had to grab and go, to have another bash at it later.

I’m not terribly OCD about things in general but this really does my head in and I’ll not settle until I’ve sorted it out and returned the world to its proper state. Maybe that OCD is worse than I give it credit for :-)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    Nope 👎

QUOTE=mjc1216;5154242]A true story from yesterday...as i emerged from my local Rolex dealer i noticed a man wearing a Rolex Daytona the newer one with ceramic bezel and white face.

I am not one normally to try and engage with people with nice watches but you don't see many of these up north.

Anyway it turned out he was very knowledgeable about watches and we had a good chat for 10 minutes.

I was about to leave when i noticed the watch was showing the time as 11.45 when the real time was nearer to 15.30.I asked him why and he said "i just grabbed it out of the watch box and did not bother setting the time"

So here we have a 15k plus watch that was nothing more than a piece of jewellery for what would take less than a minute to set...no date or GMT etc.

So my question do you bother setting the time or have you done the same thing.[/QUOTE]

Master
    Never. I sometimes, when in big hurry, don't set the correct date but i always set the time. And I hate people that wear watches as jewels and check the time on their phone. Savages!!!

All the time. A watch us the last thing I grab before I go out along with keys and wallet, so usually end up doing it whilst waiting for my computer to load up.

I always take two minutes to set the watch before wearing it.

However I often get the time wrong.
    Maybe I am spot on with the seconds but the minutes are off by +-5 minutes and maybe +- 1 hour wrong too

BUBI 0_0

Master
    Blog Entries
    I never use my phone for the time.
    though I have forgotten my watch asked someone the time,who have then looked at their phone making me realise I could have looked at mine,I feel dizzy.

I’ve worn 5 watches today they are all set I can take any with me in the morning,it’s crazy.

Master
    I can't even be trusted setting the time correctly. Was setting my relative's datejust.. and was told it's 3 hours out!! Whoops!

Master
    I've done the same occasionally, albeit with much cheaper watches. :)

Well this thread has reinforced just how little I know about watches

I’d always assumed autos needed a bit of ‘charge’ before they would keep accurate time, but also ages ago read that, at least for vintage, it was better to avoid manually winding up an auto if you could

As result, every single time I pick up an auto (from my extremely small collection) I intentionally don’t set it until I’ve been for a walk and it’s ‘powered up’. Am I doing it all wrong?!

Throw me to the wolves, but as all of my watches are quartz, I don't have the worry!

Ask me again should I be fortunate enough to get one of Eddie's Expeditions :-)
    Last edited by Mouse; 21st July 2019 at 22:48.

Nope, if my watch isn't right then there's no point in wearing it and I'll stick with my phone.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    Nope, if my watch isn't right then there's no point in wearing it and I'll stick with my phone.
    Totally agree n.2.

Ditto.
    Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    David
    Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by KingKitega View Post
    I can't even be trusted setting the time correctly. Was setting my relative's datejust.. and was told it's 3 hours out!! Whoops!
    I'm sure that's still within spec?

Craftsman
    If I didn't have time to set it correctly I would leave it and grab a quartz. When I set the time the second hand and minute hand HAVE to correspond. This sometimes takes a few goes and a bit of patience but I can't wear a watch when they don't!

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

Master
    No, why on earth would I do that?

Master
    Yes, sometimes in a hurry, knowing I can set the date/time when I’m on the tube a few minutes later.

Craftsman
    Yes, pretty much every Monday. (my work watch will have wound down over the weekend and I never have a minute in the mornings)
    In fairness though I never look at it in the car, and I make a point of setting it correctly as soon as I'm at my desk.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Why not set them on Sunday night while having a cuppa?

Craftsman
    I frequently grab a watch that has stopped and then set it once I've got to work. Not as though I'll be interacting with anyone in that period for them to notice. I wouldn't wear a watch that needed setting and not bother setting it as i do actually use it to tell the time.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by bwest76 View Post
    Why not set them on Sunday night while having a cuppa?
    And think about work while it's still the weekend? Are you quite mad?