closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Would you leave home with your watch showing the wrong time.

No and might as well not wear one out of the house. I mean what's the point of wearing a watch then?

Lately I haven't had to set my watch anyway as I've only been wearing either 1 automatic or 1 g-shock. The rest have been sitting in storage.
    However if I feel like I need to take another watch for a spin then I'll set it, do a manual wind and they're good to go. Takes less than a minute to do.

I tend to decide the night before what I am wearing so it's wound and set in morning

Master
    So here we have a 15k plus watch that was nothing more than a piece of jewellery
    Exactly that to some people, I never do that though, if I'm wearing mine it gets set to the second via one of the radio controlled GShocks.

Craftsman
    Normally, if I am in a rush set the time when I arrive in the office.

It happened to me recently and with an atomic watch.

Had it on all day and only when resting at home did something strike me as not right, the watch was an hour out! I had taken the watch to France a few weeks before and had not 'told' the watch I was back in the UK. It was happily connecting with the German signal every night and setting the watch to Paris time.

Kind of shows you that we don't look that closely or often at the actual time, WIS are generally just admiring the watch!

Mitch

Craftsman
    Yes, regularly do this when heading somewhere early for work. Pick a watch I want to wear, set it once I am sat on the train...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by adirian View Post
    Never. I sometimes, when in big hurry, don't set the correct date but i always set the time. And I hate people that wear watches as jewels and check the time on their phone. Savages!!!
    +1.

Journeyman
    I find it odd (in fact sacrilegious )as to me watches are a tool & some source of enjoyment, especially thinking about all the intricacies/maths on the the mechanical side.
    For some i suppose they're just jewellery, no different than a bracelet to convey status.

Craftsman
    I normally rotate my watches on Mondays and if I am in a rush in the morning, I would leave home not changing the time, but would get it sorted along the way to the office.

To me, it looks weird not having the correct time on the watch.

Apprentice
    As a few have said, leaving the house and then setting at the earliest opportunity is acceptable to me. Leaving it all day or simply wearing as jewellery isn’t for me. That’s not what a watch is about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Occasionally, yes. I'll set the time either on the train or when I get to work.

Never, I've sometimes forgot to wind a manual first thing and had to reset it around lunchtime but never went with a watch at the wrong time.

The wrong date? Now that's a different story...

Cheers,
    Adam.

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

Master
    Time must be accurate for me before it even goes in the wrist... not too fussed on the date though if it's a faff on to set.

Quote Originally Posted by RJM25R View Post
    Regularly put an auto on out of the box without setting the time in a morning, for example driving to work, and set it when I have a chance.

I’ve sometimes started doing something and forgot until later in the day but hey-ho!
    Yeah, I usually set mine while reading email and having the first espresso of the morning.

Craftsman
    On the very rare occasion when I’m in a rush to leave home I tell myself I’ll set the watch on the train/in the cab... And I do end up forgetting to (and feel miserable about it).

So far this has happened once.

Craftsman
    Yes all the time lately

I sort it sitting outside in the car listening to jazz in the car

If I’m fixing the date it’s much more pleasant

I’ve done it a few times when I used to work in London, setting the time or not could mean missing the bus to the station so I’d grab it and set it either at the bus stop or on the bus.

I’m another who, if I’m in a hurry, will put one on and then set when I get to work. Try to avoid this though as it doesn’t feel right!

Craftsman
    Occasionally, if i pick a different watch than i was wearing the previous day, its not wound & im in a hurry. Once im on the bus or tram I'll set it, its no biggie but can be annoying as its reflex to check my watch when rushing to catch the bus/tram, only to get a shock, every single time when i see its 20 past 3am and not 6:55!

Journeyman
    nooooo! :)

Master
    My mate does that. But he has a Daytona which says it all. He does the same with his PO too. Wrong date/time.....really?

The advantage of a one-watch collection! :)

While my Explorer is running a record three+ minutes fast at the moment (as part of the summer-time challenge), usually I keep it no more than +/- 30 seconds of the correct time.

Master
    My ocd wouldn’t let me leave home with it set wrong. If changing watches to something that I’ve not worn recently I have to set it correctly before venturing out.

Over my morning cuppa I’ll wind the watch, hack it so the second hand is on 12.00 and fire up time.is on my phone. Set the time for the next minute and wait. Worse case scenario I lose two minutes give or take a few seconds.

If wearing the same watch for a few days I will check it against time.is and reset it if it’s out of sync by more than a few seconds. Can’t help myself I’m afraid

Yes, every Monday morning. Wear my weekend watch as long as possible (i.e. until Monday morning.) Then swap over to my work watch. No manual wind, so I wear it to work to get it running and then set it when I get there.

No problem with that...I mean, once you set it, tommorrow will show the wrong time (a second maybe but it is still wring)...so where is the line on what is good enough? For me the love of sweeping hand exceeds all the "irregularities"

Craftsman
    I probably do very often, I don't correct it frequently enough, maybe I should, but as others have said, if you want it correct all the time, it will need resetting every day.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I wound and set the time last night leaving the date until this morning so I didn’t damage the mechanism.

When I got to the supermarket checking dates I felt very uneasy when I realised I had forgot.

jpmorgan chase bank branch locations

Apprentice
    When I found this thread, I was over joyed, and had to join just to say thank you!

I thought I was the only one who did this. Kept my watches under my shirt cuff.

WhenI first started getting into mechanicals, I was borderline OCD about setting my watches to the atomic clock, and tracking accuracy. Rotated watches every week or so. .I found the best over night resting position for each watch, made sure to be active enough each day to keep the spring wound, and took pride in using both to keep the watch as close to accurate for a week or more.

That was then.

In the last half year or so, I find myself putting on which ever one I feel like, and as others have mentions, planning to set it later in the day ,once its' wound up more.

But I don't even bother much to do that.

When I need to know the exact time, I look at my phone; my phone also reminds me what's on my calendar. My car clock syncs everyday. My computer is always accurate.

I was beginning to think there was something wrong with me, and the dread of someone noticing my watch was off by days and hours was building.

Since finding this post, I have slept soundly, and worn my wildly inaccurate mechanicals proudly.

Craftsman
    Never.

Craftsman
    My OCD has me wasting a couple of minutes winding and then setting to the second via my bedside radio RCC clock!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by nepatriot View Post
    When I found this thread, I was over joyed, and had to join just to say thank you!

I thought I was the only one who did this. Kept my watches under my shirt cuff.

WhenI first started getting into mechanicals, I was borderline OCD about setting my watches to the atomic clock, and tracking accuracy. Rotated watches every week or so. .I found the best over night resting position for each watch, made sure to be active enough each day to keep the spring wound, and took pride in using both to keep the watch as close to accurate for a week or more.

That was then.

In the last half year or so, I find myself putting on which ever one I feel like, and as others have mentions, planning to set it later in the day ,once its' wound up more.

But I don't even bother much to do that.

When I need to know the exact time, I look at my phone; my phone also reminds me what's on my calendar. My car clock syncs everyday. My computer is always accurate.

I was beginning to think there was something wrong with me, and the dread of someone noticing my watch was off by days and hours was building.

Since finding this post, I have slept soundly, and worn my wildly inaccurate mechanicals proudly.
    For a first post i can tell you will fit in well here...couldn't tell if you were being serious but it made me laugh.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I don’t get this phone thing, it’s easier to look at your wrist than dig your phone out.

Quote Originally Posted by bwest76 View Post
    I don’t get this phone thing, it’s easier to look at your wrist than dig your phone out.
    I mean, wristwatches became popular because people didn't want to bother with pocket watches any more.

Using your phone as a digital pocket watch seems a step backwards to me.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bwest76 View Post
    Except the younger generation I suppose who never put their phone down.

Master
    Wow! I'm absolutely astonished at the number who don't set their watch.
    I put my watch on first thing as I get out of bed and, if it's a mechanical, always check it against my (signal receiving) G-Shock.

Master
    I did this morning and the wrong date, didn’t put the right time on until as least 10am