closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Alpine A110

Craftsman

Alpine A110

Hi all,

Does anyone own an Alpine A110 on the forum, if so I would love to get in touch to ask a few questions as I am very close to pulling the trigger on buying one?

Have a great Sunday.

Master
    Okay, I admit NOT an a110 owner or ever driven BUT I'd seriously look at Lotus. Had a couple of elises and been very happy with them... one of my 'regret selling' mistakes :-(

https://www.carmagazine.co.uk/car-re...p-test-review/

Craftsman
    Thanks for responding, I may have a look at the Lotus, was originally going to buy a Caterham but do a lot of 4+ hour drives to Devon so was looking for something a little more comfortable.

Master
    Well if you want luxury then I'm sure the Alpine will win. Saying that I've done a few 4+ hour drives in an Elise and it's been fine though, I admit, on a 6 hour drive back from 'down south' I wore 'in the ear' headphones to hear the stereo better. I'm not sure what the noise levels are like in the alpine. On the other hand, when the roads cleared, it was rip the 'phones off, drop a couple of gears and floor it ;-) Then you really appreciated that supercharger whine :-)

As an aside, I was at a lotus driving day and the guy doing the teaching (Martin Donnelly) often hires out his expertise to other manufacturers that want someone to demo their cars or track test them. He was hired by alpine/Renault to give the a110 a shake down. He said, as a drivers car, the Lotus elise/exige were much better than the a110. He was particularly critical of the turbo charged engine and the slight delay the turbo gives. He said the lotus supercharged offering was much better. Something that might not be important when driving sedately on the public highway or stuck in another traffic jam.

Master
    Damn it you've got me looking at Lotus's now!

4.5K on the clock and 42 grand.

3.5l V6 :-)

Exige performance at nearer Elise prices and you can take the roof off :-)

I'm in hospital with a heart attack at the moment (possible double by-pass - maybe). This might just be the carrot I need to pull me through.

^ That what I’d call speedy recover ;) seriously though, hope all goes well and and you get back to usual self in no time..

@ OP, since you asked (a similar question was asked recently btw) I haven’t driven the thing (gladly would) but, personally, purely on looks, I prefer the vintage one, there is something odd in the new bodywork design which I don’t like, plus there are some very nice motors could be had at A110 price bracket IMO. It’s all down to personal taste though, so if the looks and how it drives works for you, why not?
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

Quote Originally Posted by solwisesteve View Post

I'm in hospital with a heart attack at the moment (possible double by-pass - maybe). This might just be the carrot I need to pull me through.
    Hope everything goes well for you Steve.
    A friend has just had a triple by pass and he's back out on his push bike doing over 100 miles a week, and he looks great 😀. It's amazing what can be done.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post
    Hope everything goes well for you Steve.
    A friend has just had a triple by pass and he's back out on his push bike doing over 100 miles a week, and he looks great . It's amazing what can be done.
    Thanks for the kind words.

Actually, part of me wants the full by-pass mashings. Multiple stents sounds like it might be a botch which might come back after a few years, the by-pass sounds like a proper fix. It's just the jig-saw up the sternum part that makes me cringe ;-)

Craftsman
    Hi Steve,

Thank you for all your feedback, have a very speedy recovery.

You’ve now got me looking at Lotus you bugger😆

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by browjam View Post
    Hi Steve,

Thank you for all your feedback, have a very speedy recovery.

You’ve now got me looking at Lotus you bugger
    Thanks....

Have a look at second hand. Like all cars there's some new car depreciation but unlike other motors a Lotus is generally purchased by an enthusiast that will pamper and treat it: Often with a very low mileage, garaged, and immaculately looked after. So second hand is usually a good bet. I mean my second lotus was a 220 Elise with less than 300 miles on the clock but 5K cheaper than new.

Master
    so when's the best time to suggest to SWMBO that you quite fancy getting a 42K sports car? Yes, you guessed it, just after the consultant says you need a double bypass op. btdt :-)

I mentioned to the wife this pm that I'd been looking at another lotus and she says go for it!

Nicely played Sir, nicely played.

Fas est ab hoste doceri

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by VDG View Post
    Nicely played Sir, nicely played.

tbh I might wait to see if I live through the next three months :-(

tbh I might wait to see if I live through the next three months :-(
    Probably a good idea, as it would be an additional hassle for Mrs to get rid of it.. having said that, it’s impossible for any of us to know whether the proverbial Routemaster with our name on it is just around the corner, so I’d say go for it and see how it plays out. At the end of day it would be another reason for you to stop fooling around enjoying hospital food, chatting up nurses and fit consultants ;)
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by VDG View Post
    Probably a good idea, as it would be an additional hassle for Mrs to get rid of it.. having said that, it’s impossible for any of us to know whether the proverbial Routemaster with our name on it is just around the corner, so I’d say go for it and see how it plays out. At the end of day it would be another reason for you to stop fooling around enjoying hospital food, chatting up nurses and fit consultants ;)
    tbh since Friday the old todger seems to have left the trousers, I mean not a twinge in the pyjamas dept :-(

Get well soon young sir.

tbh since Friday the old todger seems to have left the trousers, I mean not a twinge in the pyjamas dept :-(
    Give it a couple of days
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

Journeyman
    Stumbled upon this thread. Picking up mine 28.10 and can't wait. Anyone else have one on the forum?