closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Speedmaster cal 321

Speedmaster cal 321

The cal 321 Speedie has been revealed. In platinum and will be probably be in the region of 50k.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Damn. Just out of my budget!

Journeyman
    I'll wait for the stainless steel one thanks... £50k!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by lostp View Post
    I'll wait for the stainless steel one thanks... £50k!
    The stainless one is probably going to be £20k on its own.

"the sub-dials are made of moon meteorite."

"Omega has indicated only 2,000 cal. 321 movements will be produced each year. With the upcoming cal. 321-powered watch that will probably be a more affordable model in steel, the platinum Moonwatch will no doubt account for a minority of the 2,000 movements a year."

all from https://watchesbysjx.com/2019/07/ome...-platinum.html
    Last edited by Der Amf; 21st July 2019 at 08:19.

This is almost exactly what I was, for the last five years, hoping the 50th Anniversary Apollo Speedmaster was going to be about....something classy with a meteorite dial and/or subdials ...sure I had no idea they'd stick a new 321 in it but this is it. I love it.....but not enough to afford one

Master
    Agreed - stunning watch and a stunning price! The DON, stepped dial is a nice touch also.

Master
    I'll stick with my "handbuilt from swiss parts" special thanks!

:)
    Shame that Omega didn't line the hour sub dial properly and not mangle the end of the tube!
    Last edited by tixntox; 21st July 2019 at 09:37.

That is a really lovely looking Speedmaster and powered by a classic cal. I haven't read up on this yet but bet it will have a see through caseback. The sub dials are a classy and surprisingly subtle nod to the Apollo heritage, dare I say much better looking that the 2 anniversary editions released for the 50th. But how much!
    J

Quote Originally Posted by Jardine32 View Post
    I haven't read up on this yet but bet it will have a see through caseback.
    J
    Yes - see-through caseback!

Quote Originally Posted by Jardine32 View Post
    That is a really lovely looking Speedmaster and powered by a classic cal. I haven't read up on this yet but bet it will have a see through caseback. The sub dials are a classy and surprisingly subtle nod to the Apollo heritage, dare I say much better looking that the 2 anniversary editions released for the 50th. But how much!
    J
    Based on previous platinum cases released by Omega, around £50-£60k

Craftsman
    That is beautiful. Much more attractive than the other 2 special editions, dare I say it!

Quote Originally Posted by ataripower View Post
    Based on previous platinum cases released by Omega, around £50-£60k
    I'd agree - I wonder how many they will make?

I'm in a minority being not a speedmaster fan at all (ironically I always recommend to non-WIS to check them out as a starting point). Also I don't believe the whole marketing BS around reconstructing the cal 321, but this is a lovely anniversary that no doubt Speedmaster fans will like.

Total yearly production is 2000 for the Cal 321, relatively limited. Let's see how they utilise it in a steel watch.

Quote Originally Posted by crazyp View Post
    I'd agree - I wonder how many they will make?
    Again based on previous platinum releases, I would guess between 50 & 100 pieces

What is a moon meteorite?
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    So I 'think' - meteorite is defined as an out of space object that survives impact onto earth. Moon meteorite has it origins from our 'Moon'. So these are fragments of our moon. I'm pretty certain that this has happened, but can't be much of it.

Maybe Wiki can help: A lunar meteorite is a meteorite that is known to have originated on the Moon (link).

So I 'think' - meteorite is defined as an out of space object that survives impact onto earth. Moon meteorite has it origins from our 'Moon'. So these are fragments of our moon. I'm pretty certain that this has happened, but can't be much of it.
    How can the moon send meteorites to earth?
    And even if it did, how can you tell where it came from?

How can the moon send meteorites to earth?
    And even if it did, how can you tell where it came from?
    Fragments escaping the moon over the last 10-100 million years is entirely plausible - doesn’t have to be big.

You can compare to the composition of the samples taken by the Apollo teams that landed on the moon.

I’ll have a look on the omega site - am sure they’ll have more info of where this meteor was discovered and it’s age.

From Omega's Instagram

A beautiful watch - but not at £50K! Let's hope they produce a c.321 in SS, in the near future, at a sensible price point.

Ok, some further info for S-J as he's no doubt still sceptical about - http://meteorites.wustl.edu/lunar/moon_meteorites.htm

the following part - 'Meteoroids strike the Moon every day. Lunar escape velocity averages 2.38 km/s (1.48 miles per second), only a few times the muzzle velocity of a rifle (0.7-1.0 km/s). Any rock on the lunar surface that is accelerated by the impact of a meteoroid to lunar escape velocity or greater will leave the Moon’s gravitational influence. Most rocks ejected from the Moon become captured by the gravitational field of either the Earth or the Sun and go into orbit around these bodies. Over a period of a few years to tens of thousands of years, those orbiting the Earth eventually fall to Earth. Those in orbit around the Sun may also eventually strike the Earth up to a few tens of millions of years after they were launched from the Moon.'

A huge price premium for using platinum.

What will the gold one cost, seeing as gold is 70% more expensive then platinum?

Mitch

Thank you

I had no doubt they were meteorites. I was doubting (and, in a way, still am, although to a lesser extent) that they came from our moon, as the options are rather plentiful.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitch View Post

What will the gold one cost, seeing as gold is 70% more expensive then platinum?

Mitch
    The recent solid gold release using the 3861 movement was circa £26,500. There is no rhyme or reason in the world of jewellery where platinum items are routinely more expensive than 18K gold even though the metal price differential is the other way. Plat is a harder metal and more difficult to work but it still means that even if the cases were the same cost, the price to swap the 3861 for the 321 is around £25K. Pure madness, makes much more sense to buy the gold one and an original 1960s 105.012. And have change.

Thank you

I had no doubt they were meteorites. I was doubting (and, in a way, still am, although to a lesser extent) that they came from our moon, as the options are rather plentiful.
    There are a few pointers towards the origin of a meteorite. Here's one:

Credit: http://meteorites.wustl.edu/lunar/howdoweknow.htm

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitch View Post

Mitch
    Per troy ounce, yes. But platinum is heavier so more is needed. Also its much more difficult to work with. Still theres a big premium added, guess its just to keep it rarer and more prestigious.

Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    There are a few pointers towards the origin of a meteorite. Here's one:

Credit: http://meteorites.wustl.edu/lunar/howdoweknow.htm
    Escape velocity is so low, we must have tons of moon rocks about - the above indicates however that the largest ever recorded is around 16.5kg, so not big at all and so no doubt it's tough to tell - am sure comparisons with actual samples have helped, but as with the best meteors, cold conditions (i.e. Antarctica) help to preserve them better - a fusion crust that is highly vesticular (bubbly) is the easiest way apparently.

I don’t understand all the sciency bits but that is a blooming lovely watch. Absolutely gorgeous.

Shame I’ll never be able to afford one :-(

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Speedmaster cal 321

Escape velocity is so low, we must have tons of moon rocks about - the above indicates however that the largest ever recorded is around 16.5kg, so not big at all and so no doubt it's tough to tell - am sure comparisons with actual samples have helped, but as with the best meteors, cold conditions (i.e. Antarctica) help to preserve them better - a fusion crust that is highly vesticular (bubbly) is the easiest way apparently.
    Not sure about the cold - many meteorites are also found in the Moroccan Sahara. Like the Antarctic they’re relatively east to spot against the snow/sand.
    Absence of (liquid) water will also prevent rusting which can occur depending on the composition.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Not sure about the cold - many meteorites are also found in the Moroccan Sahara. Like the Antarctic they’re relatively east to spot against the snow/sand.
    Absence of (liquid) water will also prevent rusting which can occur depending on the composition.
    My Antarctic comment was related to the fusion crust and so better identification of lunar meteor. Possibly true for other material from other worlds (reading back maybe clumsily worded).