Banned
    Blog Entries

TRF Rolex Quaility thread - Classic

Now this is quality....

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=687134

I wish I had my own Lab!
    The OP would fit in well here.
    PS check out post #36.
    Last edited by Skyman; 20th July 2019 at 20:36.

Is there anything more beta than starting a thread on one forum just to point and laugh at someone on another forum?

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    Is there anything more beta than starting a thread on one forum just to point and laugh at someone on another forum?
    Strange POV but thanks anyway. Consistently oblique. You are a strange one. Do you have a Lab by any chance?
    PS Have you never linked to another forum, thread here or general web link?
    Last edited by Skyman; 20th July 2019 at 19:31.

Craftsman
    It’s better than the usual ‘is it safe’ threads every other day

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LeBowl View Post
    It’s better than the usual ‘is it safe’ threads every other day
    Indeed.👍

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Skyman View Post
    Now this is quality....

I wish I had my own Lab!
    The OP would fit in well here.
    A totally shit thread, you are a grubby poltroon. If you have something to say about TRF, say it there, not here.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    A totally shit thread, you are a grubby poltroon. If you have something to say about TRF, say it there, not here.
    The best compliment I could have hoped for, from the forum’s resident curmudgeon. Thanks.
    Last edited by Skyman; 20th July 2019 at 19:57.

Master
    The best compliment I could have hoped for.
    Well continue with tacky rubbish like that and you will continue to receive more "best compliments".

To be honest, I thought more of you, that really is BP standard.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Perhaps we are on the wrong wavelength, I just thought the TRF OPs quality control inspections were totally OTT, as did the vast majority of the TRF population. Did I cut and paste the wrong thread?

Master
    Perhaps we are on the wrong wavelength, I just thought the TRF OPs quality control inspections were totally OTT, as did the vast majority of the TRF population. Did I cut and paste the wrong thread?
    Stop wriggling, it was tacky and frankly beneath you.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Stop wriggling, it was tacky and frankly beneath you.
    We clearly have different senses of humour.

Master
    We clearly have different senses of humour.
    We clearly have a different sense of morality.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I am not sure how morals have entered the equation. However, if I have offended your own, then please accept my apologies.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    I'm not sure, but your comment is definitely in the running, you alpha you.

Master
    Moral outrage over a stupid thread on a watch forum? This hobby really brings out the weirdos. It's rather a shame that TRF banned you - you were perfect for that place.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Does this read morally sound?
    Originally Posted by mbrown55
    So to all who said put the loupe away and enjoy the watch on the wrist: I would never have parted with hard earned cash if I didn’t know how to enjoy my purchases. I enjoy examining watches to a fine detail, with rolexes i often go into my lab and look at them under extreme magnification and marvel at the detail and craftsmanship. So all of you who said that rolexes should never be examined under a loupe, go stay under your rocks. as far as haute horology is concerned Rolex is at the top of the game. I have 7, my wife has 5 and my children have several and i enjoy examining them under fine scrutiny. So go screw yourselves if you want to disparage Rolex quality, go to another forum. I was asking a question if anyone had noticed any quality issues on a particular model and dozens thought that they could chime in with very uninformed opinions. EVERY mass produced product have flaws and its the flaws that make them unique. I love going to my friends garage and looking at his 69 Ferrari and i look at it with the curiosity of a police detective. We love exploring the things done right and the things that slipped through. I will look at my Rolexes under high magnification, i will document the things done perfect and the things that could have been done better. This is horology. I’m about done with forums because they are dominated by idiots.

Master
    Does this sound morally sound?
    Originally Posted by mbrown55
    So to all who said put the loupe away and enjoy the watch on the wrist: I would never have parted with hard earned cash if I didn’t know how to enjoy my purchases. I enjoy examining watches to a fine detail, with rolexes i often go into my lab and look at them under extreme magnification and marvel at the detail and craftsmanship. So all of you who said that rolexes should never be examined under a loupe, go stay under your rocks. as far as haute horology is concerned Rolex is at the top of the game. I have 7, my wife has 5 and my children have several and i enjoy examining them under fine scrutiny. So go screw yourselves if you want to disparage Rolex quality, go to another forum. I was asking a question if anyone had noticed any quality issues on a particular model and dozens thought that they could chime in with very uninformed opinions. EVERY mass produced product have flaws and its the flaws that make them unique. I love going to my friends garage and looking at his 69 Ferrari and i look at it with the curiosity of a police detective. We love exploring the things done right and the things that slipped through. I will look at my Rolexes under high magnification, i will document the things done perfect and the things that could have been done better. This is horology. I’m about done with forums because they are dominated by idiots.

Some people like wearing watches. Some people like looking at them under an electron microscope. TRF sucks, but what do I know? I don't have a friend with a 1969 Ferrari.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    It does make me wonder whether the apparent critics here read (or could read) the linked thread, in full.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    And btw, my 126719 is perfect thank you.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Have you read his tz uk thread on Pistonheads?

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainSlow View Post
    Hey, CS. How are you my fw friend? Still slow by name, and by nature. Go bottom feed elsewhere boy.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Just to be clear. For those that objected to this thread on my part, please can you explain precisely why you took affront. Personally, I thought the TRF’s OP’s statements were truly laughable.
    PS Mick P, CS and Der Amf, that’ll be you then. Please, don’t be shy gents.
    Last edited by Skyman; 20th July 2019 at 22:30.

Master
    I'm in two minds about this. Firstly, I've never examined my own Rolex under a magnifying glass, and I'm not going to. Actually - I suppose I have in a way; I did this:

The OP's complaint about the GMT hand in the TRF thread does seem to me to be a bit churlish and petty.

But then again, considering what they cost these days, if you don't get attention to the miniscule details and stringent, immaculate quality control, what are you paying all that money for exactly?

Years ago on another forum someone posted an extreme macro shot of a Breitling second hand, and there was a tiny hair stuck in the paint.

It does make me wonder whether the apparent critics here read (or could read) the linked thread, in full.
    I did, and quite enjoyed his meltdown.
    And that Pepsi GMT hand finishing was pretty dire tbf.

Craftsman

Had to google poltroon, first time I’ve ever read that word.

You learn something new every day.

Quote Originally Posted by Buster73 View Post
    Had to google poltroon, first time I’ve ever read that word.

You learn something new every day.
    Ditto.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainSlow View Post
    Go on, give us a link.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Has anyone regained their humour?

Master

I'm not OCD about my watches (took my ages to track down a Rolex lvc and I never had an issue with crown positioning, or wearing it in the gym etc) however I must admit that if I paid £30k for a WG GMT and the quality of the paint on the hand was like this, I'd be a little disappointed. Am I crazy? Surely you are paying for high quality craftsmanship?

Image from TRF thread:

If someone's going to swear on the open part of the forum do try not to quote it, I get the feeling the boss has to do more work to delete it all.
    "A man of little significance"

Casio seem to do better with a green hand!

Mitch

Just to go off topic for a second.......is anyone else getting an outbound Trojan warning whenever they click on this thread? (Using malwarebytes/firefox). It's only this thread that's flagging up an issue.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    Just to go off topic for a second.......is anyone else getting an outbound Trojan warning whenever they click on this thread? (Using malwarebytes/firefox). It's only this thread that's flagging up an issue.
    No.

No. But I do get a tingly dejavu sensation

- - - Updated - - -

Gray

Well, not me taking the p. Something weird's going on :-/

-Blocked Website Details-
    Malicious Website: 1
    , , Blocked, [-1], [-1],0.0.0

-Website Data-
    Category: Trojan
    Domain: truth.justdied.com
    IP Address: 52.1.80.75
    Port: [53652]
    Type: Outbound
    File: C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe

And this links to an apparently suspect site that was used to host some pictures posted on TZ in 2014.
    Last edited by Mouse; 22nd July 2019 at 19:06.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gray View Post

- - - Updated - - -

Well enjoy that. Try this....

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Just to be clear. For those that objected to this thread on my part, please can you explain precisely why you took affront. Personally, I thought the TRF’s OP’s statements were truly laughable.
    PS Mick P, CS and Der Amf, that’ll be you then. Please, don’t be shy gents.
    No response guys? Disappointing.

Master
    Blog Entries
    No response guys? Disappointing.
    I didn't think it was unreasonable actually. It's a matter of opinion and, as such, you can't argue with it.

Master
    Well, not me taking the p. Something weird's going on :-/

-Blocked Website Details-
    Malicious Website: 1
    , , Blocked, [-1], [-1],0.0.0

-Website Data-
    Category: Trojan
    Domain: truth.justdied.com
    IP Address: 52.1.80.75
    Port: [53652]
    Type: Outbound
    File: C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe

And this links to an apparently suspect site that was used to host some pictures posted on TZ in 2014.
    That's my own domain, pointed currently at my Amazon AWS Linux instance and used to host images. I'm not aware that it's ever been hacked and certainly it's never been used for nefarious purposes by myself - but thanks, I'll take a look. I suspect that it was a false positive.

It's reasonably to expect perfect paintwork on a Rolex. They pride themselves on precision this, that and the other

And if someone wants to look at their watch in a lab, photograph it with the lights dim, photograph themselves wearing their watch in different settings, good luck to them. I'm happy they are enjoying their watch in their own way.

For anyone who thinks it's big one funny or acceptable to question another's choices, good luck to them. They'll need it.

I do not agree with the OPs hissy fit, but the quality of some of the paint is laughably poor, and he is right to be concerned by that.
    I also do not agree with the fools who suggest that using a loupe is inappropriate.

If you buy a modern Rolex you should expect to be able use a loupe and you should expect to astounded by the quality you observe.
    To be anything less than astounded would be to prove that you have bought into a branding confidence trick, or that you have bought a fake.
    Rolex constantly justify their market position by referring to exemplary quality, what is wrong with looking at it?
    The quality on that Watchfinder one is awful. Truly so.

Having used a loupe on all my watches, I would ask how can anyone fully appreciate the miracles of miniature engineering that are our watches without one?
    Dave

A loupe is a watchmaker's best friend, but it's an enthusiast's worst enemy. Look hard enough at any watch and you'll find something wrong eventually - and it'll then proceed to drive you mad if you let it.

I agree though, the finishing on those pictured GMT hands is appalling. Should never have been passed by QC.

I think what escapes most people is there is no compulsion about buying a Rolex and there is certainly no need to hyperventilate screaming HOW DARE THEY? If quality is not acceptable don’t buy it or having bought it, sell it. That is how real world works. There is certainly no need to throw hissy or sissy fits on the inter webs. Certainly it is ok to post one’s findings on watch fora but all the drama is uncalled for. I don’t think Rolex has ever forced anyone to buy anything at gun point. As for all that talk about buying into a brand hype, some people need to get a life. Things like that can said only so many times. Repeating these in a shrill manner repeatedly suggests envy or bitterness.

At their price point, a Rolex should be pretty much perfect to the human eye. But quality control can easily miss something and especially after quality controlling shift after shift after shift where one can falter. Should one be outraged at picking up a watch with a fault? I think no.

I picked up a new Explorer approx 10 years ago and did not notice the poor lume on one of the hands. I subsequently returned the watch to WOS who surprisingly ordered a new watch rather than repair. I was not outraged at Rolex but more miffed at myself for missing this at pick up and having the inconvenience of making two trips to the AD to rectify.

On the other hand, it takes a year to make a Rolex so they have plenty of time and there is no excuse for this shoddy workmanship.

Quote Originally Posted by prexelor View Post
    At their price point, a Rolex should be pretty much perfect to the human eye. But quality control can easily miss something and especially after quality controlling shift after shift after shift where one can falter. Should one be outraged at picking up a watch with a fault? I think no.

I picked up a new Explorer approx 10 years ago and did not notice the poor lume on one of the hands. I subsequently returned the watch to WOS who surprisingly ordered a new watch rather than repair. I was not outraged at Rolex but more miffed at myself for missing this at pick up and having the inconvenience of making two trips to the AD to rectify.

On the other hand, it takes a year to make a Rolex so they have plenty of time and there is no excuse for this shoddy workmanship.
    How can it take a year to make a Rolex?

Quote Originally Posted by scottbombedout View Post
    How can it take a year to make a Rolex?
    No wonder AD's shelves are empty ;-)

Craftsman
    No wonder AD's shelves are empty ;-)

Indeed. Taking the annual production of Rolex watches and a weighted average retail price of, say, £10k that would mean that Rolex have a million production staff earning less than a pound a day. No wonder they struggle to ramp up production.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by abraxas View Post
    Ditto.

- - - Updated - - -

Go on, give us a link.

https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/...=187&t=1769033

Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    I think what escapes most people is there is no compulsion about buying a Rolex and there is certainly no need to hyperventilate screaming HOW DARE THEY? If quality is not acceptable don’t buy it or having bought it, sell it. That is how real world works. There is certainly no need to throw hissy or sissy fits on the inter webs. Certainly it is ok to post one’s findings on watch fora but all the drama is uncalled for. I don’t think Rolex has ever forced anyone to buy anything at gun point. As for all that talk about buying into a brand hype, some people need to get a life. Things like that can said only so many times. Repeating these in a shrill manner repeatedly suggests envy or bitterness.
    To be fair, the OP from the other thread, who apparently owns many Rolex’s said “EVERY mass produced product have flaws and its the flaws that make them unique.” He seems to enjoy finding any defects and that was the tone of the thread.

I also think the thread is appropriate for a Rolex specific forum. If people now know about the defects, they may now chose not to purchase a Rolex (unlikely, but it’s also unlikely for someone to bring a Loupe to the AD on collection day!)