closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Any sat nav experts

Craftsman

Any sat nav experts

I've recently bought a Blaupunkt in dash multimedia thingy (San Diego 530) which I believed to have sat nav.

It seems I've been had over a bit by good old Amazon as although the listing shows it with maps on the screen and quite clearly states that it has Europe mapping on an a microSD card, it is in fact an extra and hasn't come with the unit. So in the manual it says "The navigation software and map data are located on a microSD card. To be able to use the navigation, the microSD card must be inserted in the card slot"

I presume that when the card is inserted it puts the software onto the unit and can read the maps. I believe the Blaupunkt supplied card is running IGO as a platform. The card reader supports microSD cards on which either audio/video files OR navigation data can be stored. The microSD card for the navigation may not contain any other files besides the navigation data.

Question for anyone that knows, can I purchase an after market microSd with some navigation software on or will it have to be an original Blaupunkt supplied affair which is stupid money?

I don't know a lot about sat navs so any help would be appreciated

cheers,

Neil

Isn’t that a question for either Blaupunkt customer services or Google?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Bravo73 View Post
    Isn’t that a question for either Blaupunkt customer services or Google?
    Maybe my google skills are not up to much but I've Googled to the cows came home without success but thanks anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    It seems I've been had over a bit by good old Amazon as although the listing shows it with maps on the screen and quite clearly states that it has Europe mapping on an a microSD card,
    What have Amazon said? Their customer service is normally exemplary.

Are you sure that it's an extra? This link, while it says that the San Diego 530 is not a European unit, includes the card as part of its specification: Navigation • Navi-ready • Navigation depending on regional map data • Navigation engine and maps on microSD.

Master
    This seems to be a quite an old model as it was first sold on Amazon in 2015 & there's a Youtube review from 2014. Is it possible to return it for something more up to date?

Here's s thread I found but honestly I'd look at something more modern.
    http://fixmygps.info/forum/showthread.php?tid=4365

Blog Entries
    First google search found this....

https://www.blaupunkt.com/en/nc/prod...s/single/7581/
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    As has been said this is a 5 year old model and I would hastily return it to Amazon. Have you considered a more up to date CarPlay or Android Auto model, which will be ultimately less expensive as you can use your phone apps for mapping without having to keep buying map updates. This is the way most new cars are being kitted out these days.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by wjkerfoot View Post
    As has been said this is a 5 year old model and I would hastily return it to Amazon. Have you considered a more up to date CarPlay or Android Auto model, which will be ultimately less expensive as you can use your phone apps for mapping without having to keep buying map updates. This is the way most new cars are being kitted out these days.
    Yep its a 5yr old model, but its still a good piece of kit from a good manufacturer. The navigation side is what I'm after as they have always been extremely good at it. I looked at all this new car play, android etc but I require decent off line navigation. Car play I believe will be chomping through my phone data as I'm navigating and when travelling abroad could be expensive.

The unit I bought hasn't come with an sd card containing the software/map data (I thought one was included but I was mistaken and they are an optional extra) and my question was are these cards/software/maps generic? A lot of the cheap Chinese units suggest you can buy anyone's maps on a card and they'll work. There are many cards available using Tom Tom mapping etc for sale on e bay and the like.

However problem now solved thanks to great service from Amazon who are swapping the unit for one with the navigation card and honouring the prime Day price I paid.

Cheers

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Very pleased Amazon came good, despite lots of negative press I have always had great service from Amazon. I hope the new unit does everything you want.