closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: My weight loss

My weight loss

As a child and young adult I was always active and stayed reasonably fit. Having a manual based job meant I was always on my feet doing one thing or another. Then around 11 years ago I had to have knee surgery which put me off work for around 4 months. There was no way at the time I could return to my normal duties and so I went from the shop floor to an office based environment.....bad move!
    Over the intervening years I became lazy and bulked on the weight probably tipped over 19 stone.
    My wife has also put on a bit as she has got older and even more so after taking steroids for an eye condition in the last year, so about 3 months ago we both decided to do something about it.
    Mainly done through diet and exercise I've almost lost 2 stone and the wife just over a stone.
    Other than having so much more energy I've noticed other things where I'm benefiting from the loss.
    Ive suffered from lower back issues for the last 10 years and touch wood since I've been losing the weight I've not had one twinge. My sleep has improved no end, rarely would I sleep though the night and would wake up at least twice. I still wake up during the night but nowhere near the amount I used to and atleast 3 nights a week I'm going right through. My blood pressure has dropped from 140/150 over 80 to 120 over 70. My resting and walking heart rate have both reduced.
    Im also tasting food better and actually hungry between meals which was rare for me beforehand.
    Im certain there's a whole host of health benefits which I haven't noticed or aware of that's going on.

Its been by far the single best thing I've ever done but regrettably something we should have started years ago. For me the advantage is that we're both doing it and able to keep the momentum up, it would have been difficult if one of us was still eating the normal diet.
    At 6ft 3 Im quite realistic about it and know I'm never going to drop to under 14 stone however my goal is to drop another 1.5 stone and to keep it off through regular exercise and maintaining the diet.
    Anyone else out there doing the same thing I wish you every success- it is without doubt life changing
    FFF
    Last edited by Franky Four Fingers; 20th July 2019 at 10:22.

Master
    Well done mate! It's a hard slog.
    I tipped the scales at 18 stone 2lb at the start of June which shocked the hell out of me.
    Started the gym again just for half-hour sessions where I can fit them in, and cut out eating crap in-between meals and after 9pm.
    That's it - no crash diet, just quit the nibbles.

6 weeks on I'm closing in on a stone lost. I have discovered that it's a lifestyle change rather than a quick fix thing though and the whole family have changed our eating habits a bit, it's an easy trap to fall into.

Quote Originally Posted by kevkojak View Post
    I tipped the scales at 18 stone 2lb at the start of June which shocked the hell out of me.
    Started the gym again just for half-hour sessions where I can fit them in, and cut out eating crap in-between meals and after 9pm.

6 weeks on I'm closing in on a stone lost. I have discovered that it's a lifestyle change rather than a quick fix thing though and the whole family have changed our eating habits a bit, it's an easy trap to fall into.
    Thanks and Congrats to your loss as well! You're 100% correct its a total lifestyle change and not really a diet as such. I'm also finding that I'm better off as we're not hitting the takeaway twice a week!
    So many benefits other than the weight loss that you don't realise.
    Last edited by Franky Four Fingers; 20th July 2019 at 10:17.

Craftsman
    It’s hard but worth it . I’ve been going to the gym and employed a personal trainer who pushes me harder than I ever could myself , it’s the best thing I have done in years . I also have an Apple Watch , I have set it up for my height and weight but 10 years younger , it’s very satisfying when the circles close . As an aside ,the fitness function and the ability to change tracks on Bluetooth headphones are the only features I use .

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Do the keto diet mate. You can't outrun a diet where you eat more than you expend and most other diets lead to a decrease in metabolism so you'll end up putting the weight back on. I lost 6 stone in 6 months from start of the year and went from stage 3 obesity to just over a normal weight. And lost type 2 diabetes as well. It's up to you but it got to the stage when I was angry at seeing fatties in their gym gear etc clearly being mis-sold how to lose weight quickly. You dont need a treadmill you need no carbs

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    Do the keto diet mate. You can't outrun a diet where you eat more than you expend and most other diets lead to a decrease in metabolism so you'll end up putting the weight back on. I lost 6 stone in 6 months from start of the year and went from stage 3 obesity to just over a normal weight. And lost type 2 diabetes as well. It's up to you but it got to the stage when I was angry at seeing fatties in their gym gear etc clearly being mis-sold how to lose weight quickly. You dont need a treadmill you need no carbs

I'm trying to avoid any "diet" as such.

I reasoned that a healthy life style, eating the correct amount of Right foods and becoming more active was the key to it. The first few weeks it feel off but it was always going to but now I'm progressively losing the weight over the weeks, some weeks only a couple other weeks up to 4.

Master
    Well done to you both.... got to be a healthier option.

How’s about you and the Mrs making a “competition” out of the weight loss??

My weight loss

My wife and I did slimming world about three years ago and found that it’s basically a change in diet. I was down to about 12 1/2 stone.

Whilst we’ve continued to eat healthy meals, for me the snacking on junk crept back in again and I went back up to about 15 stone. With six weeks to go before my daughter’s wedding I found that my suit didn’t fit any more so I cut out the snack and am now down at 85kg (just under 13 1/2 stone).

I’m not dieting as such, just not eating snacks which I really don’t miss. I don’t exercise per se but I do lead a fairly active life anyway.

Congratulations to both of you, it’s amazing how much better you do actually feel as you lose the excess weight even starting from a lower weight (although at 5’9” in not as tall as you.)
    Last edited by Dave+63; 20th July 2019 at 12:13.

Well done to you both .

Master
    Blog Entries
    Well done Frankie you will defo feel the benefit. I was diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes in 2015 I tipped the scale at 16 stone I lost 2 stone in 3 months diet and exercise. I have now reversed it, I cycle or swim most days even cycling 50 miles on Sundays, best move I ever made. So keep it up and get into a exercise regime you feel comfortable with

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
    Well done to you both.... got to be a healthier option.

How’s about you and the Mrs making a “competition” out of the weight loss??
    Yeh it's kind of already getting like that. She was quite gloomy about the fact she's a stone behind me but I keep on telling her I had much more to lose to start off with.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Franky Four Fingers View Post
    The best way I think. Just eating a bit healthier, less rubbish and more exercise is far more sustainable long term. I lost 5 stone cutting carbs out around 12 years ago. It’s a great way to lose a lot of weight quickly but for me it wasn’t sustainable long term and the weight came back eventually.

Congrats so far you’ve done great :-)

Master
    Yeh it's kind of already getting like that. She was quite gloomy about the fact she's a stone behind me but I keep on telling her I had much more to lose to start off with.
    I think metabolically, it’s easier for men to lose weight than woman..... so you’ll need a sliding scale👍👍

For every 2lbs you lose, she aims for 1, something along those lines.

Master
    Hide the car keys and walk, walk, walk! Walking is working and it doesn't hurt or damege you like running.

Quote Originally Posted by tixntox View Post
    Hide the car keys and walk, walk, walk! Walking is working and it doesn't hurt or damege you like running.
    Absolutely! I haven't been able to train - well I probably could have been doing something but... - I completely shredded my right pec in May, and was unable to drive or ride a motorbike for the best part of three months. Being forced to walk, but maintaining a higher protein diet (mostly to try and aid the muscle recovery) has seen me maintain most of my size and actually get leaner.

I hate the idea of set diets, although they will work for some - macros, including carbs, are not the enemy, too much of anything is.

Get enough protein before anything else. Get enough fats, preferably better fats (but personally I couldn't care what fats I eat), and eat just enough carbs to either make you feel right or for your energy levels. Highly active people should be eating a lot more carbs.

I'm following the generally accepted, 35-36 calories per KG of body weight, min 1.5g of protein per KG, min 0.5g of fats per KG (but usually not too much more than 0.75g even on a binge) and whatever the hell I like for the remainder. A quality multi-vitamin, and a higher intake of water than I used to have.

I'm currently eating a lot more than I have for years, averaging over 3500 (usually around 3750) cals per day, and still getting leaner- which I'm putting down to the walking. When I was younger and a lot more active and played basketball and rugby weekly, I'd eat over 5000 cals a day, and have Abs every summer dieting for a couple of months on around 3000-3250 cals a day. Activity levels and consistency are everything.

I think anyone making positive progress deserves recognition and encouragement. Keep it up!
    It's just a matter of time...

I dropped from 108kg down to 74kg, and now up to 77kg (partly because people thought I had overdone the diet and was starting to look ill. )

My method was a Fitbit tracker to monitor my steps/excercise and MyFitnessPal to monitor my food input. Originally I set my input at 1800 calories and could only eat more if I did exercise (mostly rowing). As the weight fell off and I did more exercise I simply increased my input to 2200.

Now I play golf 3 times a week, move around a lot more and have ditched the Fitbit and MyFitnessPal and still wear a 32" trouser.

If you match your input (calories) to just below your output calories then you will lose weight in a controlled manner and will be able to control it going forward. Interesting I now eat a lot more now than I used to, simply because I am a lot more active. It's bloody great

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by kevkojak View Post

Well done mate...but you didn’t look that heavy when we last met!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post

Am doing the no carbs thing after a friend recommended it. So far it is definitely working.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

First of all, well done on both you and your wife's weight losses - you've probably realised that it takes a great deal of commitment and self discipline to actually maintain a healthy eating plan, when there are so many temptations and times when emotionally we crave sugars.

This is just my opinion - I'm not a dietician/nutritionalist but have been training for many years - be careful of reducing your carbs drastically or skipping them completely. Everyone has different carbs' needs, depending on various factors, but I do believe that most people should be consuming 'some' carbs with each meal. You could maybe just eat 15-20% complex carbs, with the rest made up of proteins, good fats and mixed veg / salads. Even a very small portion of brown rice or a small sweet/white potato, for example.

Keep on doing what you're doing, and use the benefits to motivate you to make even more gains - the human body is highly adaptable and there's no reason why you cannot continue with your progress.

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    Am doing the no carbs thing after a friend recommended it. So far it is definitely working.
    Last edited by Shane; 21st July 2019 at 07:32.

BTW FWIW (and this is something other people have experienced also) I was on Keto for 6 months and lost 6 stone. Since I've come off keto (but eating sensibly prioritising healthy fats and fibre) my metabolism is really high meaning I'm able to eat more calories and still lose weight compared to when I was 6 stone heavier. I've heard once you get 'fat adapted', (usually happens with being on keto for at least 4 months) you do get a more permanent metabolic boost. I've certainly noticed it anyway

Journeyman
    My diet recept
    I love hard-boiled eggs sliced in half with a smear of hummus on it - garlic or roasted red pepper. Reminds me of deviled eggs but healthy and easy! Very filling too. Also, sliced cucumber sprinkled with old bay is delicious. Information gives from that source https://verv.com/20-refreshing-summe...om-a-dietician
    Last edited by Derrils; 9th August 2019 at 14:44.

Craftsman
    The main thing is awareness what you're shoving into your mouth. As I got older, my weight just crept up a kilo or so a year. I'm 5'8" and ended up at about 87kg which was overweight.

6 months ago, I decided to do something about it, partly inspired by a new gf who was really into diet and fitness. Within 3 months with seemingly no effort, I lost 10kg and down to 77kg. I also bought a treadmill from Ebay, almost new but a third of the price. Until a recent operation, I was on it 5 days a week, not running but just a brisk uphill walk for 30 mins. Resting heartrate, fitness level, all improving.

Also bought a Fitbit, it's like a personal nagger what you are up to and I find it useful to remind me to go to bed earlier for better sleep, to exercise regularly and get the heartrate into cardio more often.

Mending from some major surgery but gently getting back into the plan!

While it's easier for people who lose ~10kg to keep the weight off, it's almost impossible for people who lose more to keep it off.

It's not completely impossible, but the cast majority of people how lose weight require surgery, medication or an eating disorder to maintain weight over a couple of years.

Carry on with the weight loss, but don't get depressed when you put the weight back on again. Just start again.

It's called yoyo dieting for a reason. The only thing that works is not getting fat in the first place.

I lost 15kg in 12 months, I would have to agree its no magic, I cut out the take aways, did "some" exercise.. More than the nothing I was doing. I've stopped drinking but that's another story, but the cola had to go... Its changed my life.... I rise with the dawn chorus tired but not flat and lethargic

Sent from my LYA-L09 using TZ-UK mobile app
    Last edited by bdkelly72; 9th August 2019 at 21:06.

Heres my take... Of the diet & exercise thing the diet aspect is far more powerful.

I was a keen racing cyclist in my 20s and very fit. Im just under 6 feet and when racing fit I was about 10.5stone. I have slowly gained weight as I come up to my mid forties and I peaked about 15stone middle of last year. All on the belly.

I like a beer, like my grub BUT I still cycle, I cycle over 100miles a week and I tend to crack on when on the bike.

MyFitnessPal was mentioned above by Andy. I used that app for three months and I lost a stone with very great ease.

The app showed me where I was going wrong; basically here's how I was gaining weight;

1 - Biscuits. I would easily have 4 or 5 biscuits with a cuppa. Even 3 rich tea biscuits is +100 calories
    2 - Here and there beer. If there was something on TV I'd crack open a beer. Probably just one but that could have been 3 schoolnights a week. A beer is probably 180 calories
    3 - I switched breakfast to porridge. A right good bowl of porridge will take you up to lunch and then do a chicken sandwich.
    4 - Avoid all other food outside of Brek/Lunch/Tea.
    5 - Try to Behave MonTuesWedThurs, Relax FriSatSun.

Theose changes above made zero difference to me, no hardship at all.

On 1st January I weighed 207lbs. Today I weigh 172lbs. I lost the weight through a calorie controlled diet and exercise which I started in April. I used MyFitnessPal to stick to a 1800 calorie diet and exercised for 30 minutes a day for 90 consecutive days. In the last few weeks I’ve stopped counting calories but have continued to exercise and weigh myself. So far I am keeping the weight off. I don’t drink at all and have cut out snacks. Overall I have found it pretty easy to lose the weight.

Master

I reasoned that a healthy life style, eating the correct amount of Right foods and becoming more active was the key to it. The first few weeks it feel off but it was always going to but now I'm progressively losing the weight over the weeks, some weeks only a couple other weeks up to 4.
    Congratulations on your progress. You're doing the right thing. You can't live on 'keto' forever, but the way you do it will eventually turn into a lifestyle and it will be far more sustainable.

I've started doing the same thing last year and so far I'm at around 101 kilos down from 125. My weight goes up and down depending on how serious I am about refraining from eating crap, but the important thing is to keep at it.

As said, walking is relatively easy on your knees etc, but walk enough and you'll shed the fat in no time

And I forgot.. Cut right down on sugar refined its the worst thing for beer guts.. Remove sugar.. belly reduces

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

My weigh loss is still going well and I'm now under 2 stone. Been on holiday all week and so I know I've probably stayed the same or perhaps put on a lb or so but I'm not beating myself up about it.
    The key to it for me is staying in the right frame of mind and just being careful of your intake.
    Being down in Cornwll all week was never going to be easy what with the pasties down here but I've off set it with long walks and not overdoing it on other stuff.
    Last edited by Franky Four Fingers; 9th August 2019 at 21:30.

Master
    Well done you for staying in the right frame of mind. I have now lost approx 3 stone and my BMI has come down from 29 to 22.9 and my waist is approx 28” which I am happy with. Did not intend to lose so much sort of happened along the way. The biggest thing for me was to get moving again and just paying attention to the inner me, so I stopped eating when I was full. Rather than just keep shoving food into my mouth as I have down in the past.

The biggest down side is none of my clothes fit and even my skinny clothes I kept in the wardrobe for that one day they may fit again; are all loose and baggy and hang of me. Also as this is a watch forum, I have had to remove links from my watches.

My weigh loss is still going well and I'm now under 2 stone.
    You seriously need to eat more of those pasties!!

Keto / low carb all the way. Not really a diet but a lifestyle choice. Keeps me in shape all year round and if I feel the need to drop a few pounds just stick to meat and fasting for a week or two.

Dietdoctor is a fantastic resource for recipes, articles, videos and movies for anyone interested.

https://www.dietdoctor.com/

^^ This. Keto makes you feel full and if you feel full you dont snack and that stops you turning Bobby again. Means no beer though but Prosecco, Champagne, Gin and Slim etc is ok in strict moderation

Well done I totally appreciate where you’re coming from My Wife has put on weight again because of steroid in Her inhaler She hardly eats fried or junk food lives on that Qourn stuff for Me sitting on an uncomfortable seat trying to monitor the aircraft systems whilst fighting the urge to sleep the effects of pressurised environment aren’t good for one’s belly I have fought it by hardly eating onboard the aircraft but you cannot beat exercise or a good healthy diet but seriously Frankie really great stuff full of admiration for You.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    You seriously need to eat more of those pasties!!
    😀👍