closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any keen rowers on here.......?

Any keen rowers on here.......?

I've rowed on and off for several years, running was always my preferred flavour so I devoted most of my time and energy into pounding the tarmac. A few years ago I picked up an IT band injury, through overuse and kind of lost my way with fitness/drive.

My brother had always been a keen rower and would invite me over to his where we would partake in intervals sessions etc. Until recently, I took the plunge and bought my own new Concept 2. After a month, I've got the bug! I'm currently working on joining the sub 7 club, for 2k. Knocking the door to 40, fitness isn't coming as easily as it once did. My first attempt, I made a 7:19 so I'm not awfully far away. I know that knocking that 19secs off is going to be harder than it first seems.

Any TZ'er keen rowers on here? I'd like to hear your stories.

Yes, I have a water-rower at home. I also use the concept 2 when at work (it’s what we have in the gym). I started doing it about 5 years ago, as it is low impact (I have a bad knee - running and football was my thing when younger).
    At home I put on a bbc or Netflix documentary and watch it while doing 5k.
    I find it just right in terms of being hard enough to feel some results, but easy enough I don’t try to avoid doing it!
    Last edited by oristyke; 20th July 2019 at 12:32.

Blog Entries
    At 61, I just manage to stay below the 8:30 mark. Best time this year is 8:21. My oldest (nearly 18, 80 kg, 5'8" and fit as a butcher's dog) managed 6:24... He did this in March during a workout session with his sailing teammates in Vilamoura, Portugal. He'd been training for that whole winter long and with a few mates encouraging him helped him a lot.

Concept2 has an online ranking system. You can upload your own achievement and compare it with others around the world.

Menno

Quote Originally Posted by oristyke View Post
    Yes, I have a water-rower at home. I also use the concept 2 when at work (it’s what we have in the gym). I started doing it about 5 years ago, as it is low impact (I have a bad knee - running and football was my thing when younger).
    I find it just right in terms of being hard enough to feel some results, but easy enough I don’t try to avoid doing it!
    Yes, I agree. The low impact aspect of rowing is what is suiting me. However, sometimes I'm that fatigued I feel like I'm going to collapse off it. I love it though!

Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    At 61, I just manage to stay below the 8:30 mark. Best time this year is 8:21. My oldest (nearly 18, 80 kg, 5'8" and fit as a butcher's dog) managed 6:24... He did this in March during a workout session with his sailing teammates in Vilamoura, Portugal. He'd been training for that whole winter long and with a few mates encouraging him helped him a lot.

Concept2 has an online ranking system. You can upload your own achievement and compare it with others around the world.

Menno
    Bloody hell! That's a cracking time your son smashed out.

I joined C2 online a few weeks ago. My brother and I are training partners, it keeps things interesting, as we're both competitive as hell.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ticker View Post

Bloody hell! That's a cracking time your son smashed out.
    He's fit, indeed. Gained 5 kilos since September and his body fat went down; from 15% down to around 10%. Most Laser sailors benefit from cycling and rowing and a lot of core strength. The Dutch Olympic Committee tried to gain all sorts of data during training weeks. The boys and girls were hooked up with all sorts of sensors etc. They looked like a person from The Matrix! One of the things they found was that the average Kcal burned, including a full training day on the water exceeds 6000 Kcal/24 hr! And even more when the winds are strong.

Last month, they went to Athens for the Youth European Championship. My son had lost 5 kilos in 8 days. It was really hot and eating on the water when it's hot is not fun. I found out that, talking to parents this morning, the other team members lost about the same amount. One has to be top-fit to keep this pace and level.

On the other hand, what nags him is the fact that he's beaten by his younger brother every time they're running. 100 m or 5K m. His younger brother wins!

Menno

Yep. Have a concept2 in the garage and have used it fairly extensively over the last two years.

At the start of the year I set myself a challenge to row a marathon.

I did it last month in 3 hours 14 which I’m pretty chuffed with.

Now back to training for a ultra run in September. Hopefully the endurance from the rowing will help out.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by sjedwardz View Post
    Yep. Have a concept2 in the garage and have used it fairly extensively over the last two years.

At the start of the year I set myself a challenge to row a marathon.

I did it last month in 3 hours 14 which I’m pretty chuffed with.

Now back to training for a ultra run in September. Hopefully the endurance from the rowing will help out.

Congrats to you on the marathon? That is a cracking time!! I did a half in June 1hr 34mins, I couldn't even think about what you must have went through.

Listened to lots of podcasts ! The worst bit is your arse, those seats are not comfy after 2 hours.

I found that large pocket bubble wrap helped a lot.

Journeyman
    Listened to lots of podcasts ! The worst bit is your arse, those seats are not comfy after 2 hours.

I found that large pocket bubble wrap helped a lot.

Bought one of these when I got mine not had any problems but I’ve only got up to 30 min sessions so far :)

https://www.concept2.co.uk/indoor-ro...eat-pad-deluxe

I’m an actual rower, having rowed on and off since I was at school, now mostly involved in events and umpiring but get in a boat from time to time.
    From earlier this month:

Master
    I bought a c2 a month ago rowing 5 times a week and did my first 10k yesterday. I was pointed to this training plan a couple of weeks ago. Soon as the holidays are out of the way I am going to give it a try

https://thepeteplan.wordpress.com/beginner-training/

Master
    Some years ago really got into rowing at our gym on a concept 2. There was a nice group who were all doing similar, First 2k, then 4, 5, 10.
    Ended up doing a half marathon in 1 hr 42 min. Started training for full marathon but with struggled to commit the time required and never got there.

Craftsman
    Used to run a lot, then got into rowing and bought a Concept 2. Broke my foot 5 years ago, it plays up occasionally, so stopped me rowing. Just about to start again, have kept reasonably fit from walking the dogs about 5 miles every day. I'm 62 in a couple of weeks, so low impact exercise suits me better now. Best ever 2k was 7:45 two years ago, not sure if I will get to that again :)

Craftsman
    Another yes here - try and get some form of at least 10k done every day apart from weekends..

Not seen it mentioned on the other thread we had on this either, but Eric Murray has some superb workouts (some of the rate ladders are a bit brutal ..in a good way) to row along to ..

https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCLTbJ...IntfTJw/videos

.. not clear if his new asensei thing will do for his YouTube uploads- hope not.

al

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by oristyke View Post
    Been contemplating a rowing machine for a while and this article has further ignited my interest.

Can I ask how you see the pros and cons of Water-rower versus C2?

I understand wind versus water isn't going to make much of a difference once you are used to one of the two (noise levels?). From an aesthetic point of view, I could see the WR being parked in the front room while the C2 probably had to go downstairs (which might end up making a big difference in training frequency). Any other considerations before making the decision?
    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

C2 can be connected to c2 app on your phone; WR electronics do not have that connectivity.

I have a WR and I certainly wouldn’t change it: as you say, it’s in the living room and gets used.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    C2 can be connected to c2 app on your phone; WR electronics do not have that connectivity.

I have a WR and I certainly wouldn’t change it: as you say, it’s in the living room and gets used.
    My plan was to row, not to play on the mobile...

I had a concept 2 about 12 years ago before back issues. Best time for 2K was I think 6 minutes 41 seconds

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Raffe View Post
    Ah, but then ErgData lets you log workouts and rank on log.concept2.com :-)

al

Raised a smile...
    Seriously, it’s not anecdotal. The WR computer does a few bits, and you can connect it to a software that will give you more data, but it’s faffing around.

You really want to have this data. It will map your progress and contribute to your motivation. But entering data manually is not fun.

Craftsman
    I've been considering a Concept 2 for home for a while now. A persistent achilles problem is stopping me from running regularly so something with a slightly lower impact would suit now I've turned 40 and feels like my body is falling apart day by day lol. Used to enjoy rowing to warm up during my gym days in my 20's. Used to manage around 6 minute 50 for 2km in my younger days.

What is the main different between the model E and Model D other than the former being about £200 more expensive? Better off buying from Concept direct rather than Power House Fitness, Amazon, etc? Prices all seem to be the same.

I bought a C2 at the end of Feb and since racked up 550,000m (with 130,000 each month fur the past three months)

The first week I struggled to do 5 minutes and thought I was going to die when I got off it (I’m approaching 40 and never did a scrap of exercise in my life so it was a shock). My pace was well north of 2:30

5 months on I do 20 or 25 minutes at a pace of 1:56 and am happy with that for the time being. My best 2k was 7:14

I’ve lost 3 stone in this time (now 184lb and 5’8”) and have seen muscle gains. I feel the best I’ve physically ever felt and have really got into it. I only do 25 min max as I get bored after that (and tired) but I row 5 times a week on average.

The ErgData app is great as you can upload to the C2 log and see your graphs and times easily. It really encourages you to compete against your own timed.

I’ve been really enjoying it

Heartily recommend one to anyone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    This may be a silly question but I'm hoping that it's not an obvious answer...
    Do any of you suffer from lower back pain and still row?
    I'm interested in rowing for extra fitness but have had back problems for years which I manage well including Pilates once a week and regular massages. I also swim with a masters class for an hour a week which is hard workout in the pool. I have pretty good core strength as a result but since we lost our dog and I no longer walk daily middle age spread is beginning and i'm looking for something to tone me up a bit.

I use an app called LiveRowing which allows you to create complex workouts such as intervals. You see an animated display on your phone on your progress and can even race against your self.

Its great for training and I've added the Pete Plan workouts previously mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by alslater View Post
    Ah, but then ErgData lets you log workouts and rank on log.concept2.com :-)

al

Quote Originally Posted by Riley View Post
    This may be a silly question but I'm hoping that it's not an obvious answer...
    Do any of you suffer from lower back pain and still row?
    I'm interested in rowing for extra fitness but have had back problems for years which I manage well including Pilates once a week and regular massages. I also swim with a masters class for an hour a week which is hard workout in the pool. I have pretty good core strength as a result but since we lost our dog and I no longer walk daily middle age spread is beginning and i'm looking for something to tone me up a bit.
    I think using it incorrectly 12 years ago added to my back issues

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by PAM580 View Post

What is the main different between the model E and Model D other than the former being about £200 more expensive? Better off buying from Concept direct rather than Power House Fitness, Amazon, etc? Prices all seem to be the same.
    https://www.concept2.com/indoor-rowers/compare

As part of my fitness routine I row 30mins a day, 6 days a week, using a Bodymax Infinity R200 machine. This equates to a distance of approx 5.2k. I've been doing this for quite a few years now.

If the rain continues there's likely to be quite a lot more
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

I have a waterrower and I'm pretty happy with it. Looks good, quality of construction is high and it has a very smooth and effective action.

The only gripe I have is the display and analytics. Basically, there's no real app as far as I can see and no memory on the display. If you want to record the details of workouts, as I do, then you need to record manually. In my case, I do this by taking a photo of the display after stopping my session. But in a piece of kit so expensive its a bit baffling to me that they don't have a memory that records all workouts.

That’s the main reason why I chose a concept2. The water rower was very nice to use but the monitor was too rudimentary.

The latest PM5 from concept2 is very good with Bluetooth, ant+ and usb stick capabilities

Anyone worked with WeRow or the SmartRow Bluetooth conversion on the Waterrower? Both look like decent softwares?

Master
    Anyone worked with WeRow or the SmartRow Bluetooth conversion on the Waterrower? Both look like decent softwares?
    At £250 (smartrow) + the rower its concept2 territory and that has a well developed social/competitive online platform.

Have you the option to return the water rower?

I use Power Row on my Apple Watch. There is a discrepancy with the distance as it is stroke rate based though.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
    At £250 (smartrow) + the rower its concept2 territory and that has a well developed social/competitive online platform.

Have you the option to return the water rower?
    They offered me the Smartrow for EUR190, didn't take it as I wanted to understand the setup first. But whatever the solution is, there is no way I would exchange the water rower for a C2, much too noisy.

I am looking into the various options, have some ideas but not sure I get to test them before I leave for holidays.

As a follow up of my post above: the discrepancy isn’t an issue: what you need is a reference to tell you how you’re doing compared to previous session, for the rest the system supplied is more than good enough.
    If you’re a bit OCD like me you’ll enter your data in Row Keeper, too. But be quick, the screen goes off after a couple of minutes

My idea is to either have WeRow running on a tablet (in a Linux container) or to use Coxswain, need to look into USB OTG on Android (but doesn't sound like rocket science). If none of this works, I will use an old laptop with WeRow.

Doesn't sound as if anyone here has tried one of the two already?

I put Coxswain on my old Pixel mobile and it worked immediately. Will test in tablet now.

Same on tablet:

Looks like Coxswain only speaks German, cannot find language settings for English?

My five year old daughter has occupied the water rower now, after a few minutes she has got the right technique already.

Edit: just changed the Android language to English and now Coxswain speaks English, too.
    Last edited by Raffe; 3rd August 2019 at 15:09.

Been reading up on available software - if you are into social competition stuff, the Waterrower can also connect to WeRow, Nethatlon, WaterCoach F.I.T. - they all offer online races against other users or yourself. If you are mainly interested to set up planned workouts, tracking your progress and compete against yourself, CoxSwain works a treat. All those softwares require a cable connection to the S4 monitor, the first three are running on PC or Mac while Coxswain works on Android phones and tablets.

Coxswain only stores data locally, but in a standardised format (TCX - Training Center XML), which can be loaded into other fitness tracking apps. It also offers an experimental link into Google Fit. Altogether, I'd say it offers what I need (at least now). I also find the training monitor great (e.g. countdown for set trainings) and I can place it straight ahead on a chair so that I don't have to constantly tilt my head down to look at the monitor. Now I need a heart rate monitor which connects to the tablet and I am all set.

I also found that Waterrower have just released a new Android app (last week), which works with the S4 with Bluetooth extention or the (coming) S5 monitor. So I expect a major upgrade around the corner, they probably will try and catch up to C2 in terms of connectivity.

Good news. Please keep us posted if they have something for iPhone

Started my work-out on 31 July, first time was really tough, but I kept going for a few days until I left for 10 days in Italy. Everything reset after that, plus 3 kg and had to start over again.

Today was the first time I completed 3,000 Meter at a pace of 1m58s, which I am happy with for the time being. Suppose I need to start attcking longer rows now at a slightly lower pace.

Craftsman
    Just ordered the Concept2 rowing machine, very much looking forward to taking delivery and my 1st workout albeit I've never experienced this type of workout. I also have lower back issues so hoping with a steady introduction I can strengthen and improve my back

Craftsman
    I've rowed on the water a lot in recent years, I've raced in a coxed 4, coxless 4, double and single. My racing career culminated in many wins with our best result being getting to the finals at Henley Masters last year. I stopped 12 months ago because I couldn't live with the training regime any longer but that's not to say I didn't enjoy it at the time.

One problem with rowing on an erg is that people try to kill themselves everytime chasing numbers. Whilst this gives satisfaction, it can lead to hating the thing because you associate it with pain.

Technique is everything on an erg just like it is on the water. There are many videos you can watch by concept or other online rowing schools.

For us, we would warm up arms only for 1 minute, bring the body in for 1 minute, then just break the knees and so on so that you are only take a full stroke after about 4 mins. Typical warm up would then be 2k with maybe 10 full power strokes thrown in 2 or 3 times in the second half of the warm up.

In the winter we would train for the head race season, typically 3 X 6k with 2min intervals. Stroke 20spm. In the summer we'd train for regattas with shorter distances and higher stroke rates.

Anyway, my advice would be do lots of work at an easier pace (UT2) and limit the times you row balls out. Always set the draft correctly (this is found in the settings on the monitor) and a draft of 120 feels about like a boat - don't just shove the draft lever up to 10 - firstly it varies wildly depending on the erg and secondly, you'll probably hurt your back. Set the footplate correctly for your height and build. Warm up slowly and use the correct technique. Don't be one of those monkeys at the gym rowing at 40spm with hands banging on their knees, puffing and grunting like a maniac.

A good test of technique is to row 'feet out' that is to say, don't strap your feet into the erg. A good smooth rower can get very close to the same performane feet in or out. We trained like this because pressure on the strap during the recovery translates in the boat to a force that is slowing the boat.

Great things ergs and a wonderful online community to join in and encourage you. I haven't used mine much recently lol

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Shropshire Lad View Post
    I've rowed on the water a lot in recent years, I've raced in a coxed 4, coxless 4, double and single. My racing career culminated in many wins with our best result being getting to the finals at Henley Masters last year. I stopped 12 months ago because I couldn't live with the training regime any longer but that's not to say I didn't enjoy it at the time.

One problem with rowing on an erg is that people try to kill themselves everytime chasing numbers. Whilst this gives satisfaction, it can lead to hating the thing because you associate it with pain.

Technique is everything on an erg just like it is on the water. There are many videos you can watch by concept or other online rowing schools.

For us, we would warm up arms only for 1 minute, bring the body in for 1 minute, then just break the knees and so on so that you are only take a full stroke after about 4 mins. Typical warm up would then be 2k with maybe 10 full power strokes thrown in 2 or 3 times in the second half of the warm up.

In the winter we would train for the head race season, typically 3 X 6k with 2min intervals. Stroke 20spm. In the summer we'd train for regattas with shorter distances and higher stroke rates.

Anyway, my advice would be do lots of work at an easier pace (UT2) and limit the times you row balls out. Always set the draft correctly (this is found in the settings on the monitor) and a draft of 120 feels about like a boat - don't just shove the draft lever up to 10 - firstly it varies wildly depending on the erg and secondly, you'll probably hurt your back. Set the footplate correctly for your height and build. Warm up slowly and use the correct technique. Don't be one of those monkeys at the gym rowing at 40spm with hands banging on their knees, puffing and grunting like a maniac.

A good test of technique is to row 'feet out' that is to say, don't strap your feet into the erg. A good smooth rower can get very close to the same performane feet in or out. We trained like this because pressure on the strap during the recovery translates in the boat to a force that is slowing the boat.

Great things ergs and a wonderful online community to join in and encourage you. I haven't used mine much recently lol

Many thanks for the summary and will most certainly take your advice as first priority is to enjoy the experience

I've rowed on the water a lot ...
    Thanks very much, appreciate your comments.

You made a very good point about setting the draft correctly. It’s something that very few people realise and you see it loads in the gym with the macho guys putting it to 10 by default.

And you are right the ones in hotels and gyms vary widely. Sometimes you do need it on 10 as they are so unmaintained!

You made a very good point about setting the draft correctly. It’s something that very few people realise and you see it loads in the gym with the macho guys putting it to 10 by default.

And you are right the ones in hotels and gyms vary widely. Sometimes you do need it on 10 as they are so unmaintained!

Indeed... used one at a hotel once that maxed out at 70... as mentioned above around 120 is a sensible setting, C2 themselves say anywhere from 100 to 140. And for those looking for it, it's called drag factor in the menu.

What crew was that? There's a decent chance I umpired one of your races!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by tertius View Post
    What crew was that? There's a decent chance I umpired one of your races!
    Haha, that would be good!! We were in a composite crew made up of Pengwern Boat Club (Shrewsbury) and Swan Creek (New Jersey). We beat Chinook and one other before being beaten by Molesey.