closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: £50 note.....what's the point?

Hybrid View

£50 note.....what's the point?

This denomination is complely useless with more and more retailers and outlets refusing to take them.
    Ive just had a lengthy FB message with the Post Office who have advised me that with all their branches accepting £50 notes is discretionary. This kind of explains why my local branch have just looked at me like I'm a Columbian drug lord when I gave them some to bank this evening. They took the £400 in twenties no problems without checking a single one but they refused to take £200 in £50 notes

I’ve managed to get through the last 39 years without ever using a £50. ATMs don’t dispense them so they’re a special request from the bank, which seems completely pointless.

It’s nice that Turing has finally made it on to a bank note, but the irony is due to computers and online banking, the £50 note is useless and should be resigned to room 101.

Master
    Blog Entries
    They have their place. If I go to view a car for example, it's often easier to pay cash on collection so it makes carrying larger amounts easier.

I've never had a problem using a £50 note. Years ago I never had a problem using a £100 note either!

A 500 Euro note was a little different though.
    It's just a matter of time...

Master
    I love £50 notes, always use them when buying a watch if not using BT and if I’m selling I ask if it can be in 50’s

I refused one today in John Lewis when I returned an item. Too much hassle if places refuse them.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    I refused one today in John Lewis when I returned an item. Too much hassle if places refuse them.
    What with everyone using contactless credit cards, why does anyone want to deal with cash. Goodness knows what dirty bugger touched the notes before you did. The thought is repellant.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    What with everyone using contactless credit cards, why does anyone want to deal with cash. Goodness knows what dirty bugger touched the notes before you did. The thought is repellant.
    How does that work for you in Spain Mick? I use cash most of the time in Malta and find myself regularly bundling €1k rolls of €50 notes. If I offered card payments or bank transfers to my builders they’d laugh!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by draftsmann View Post
    How does that work for you in Spain Mick? I use cash most of the time in Malta and find myself regularly bundling €1k rolls of €50 notes. If I offered card payments or bank transfers to my builders they’d laugh!
    Just 12 months ago, if you bought anything in Spain, it had to be cash.

Hacienda, the Spanish HMRC seem now to have fully computerised taxed returns, if you don't pay by card, you get moaned at.

Also just this week, some dirty bugger in this very forum sold a pair of revolting second hand sandals to another member who actually bought the bloody things. Both of these "gentlemen" have handled some old sandals that are riddled with goodness knows what. Do you actually want to touch something these buggers have handled. You could pick up their bugs and pass them onto your friends and family.

Bank notes are notoriously riddled with germs.

Yuk yuk and thrice yuk.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    Don’t know about Spain but in UK limit is £30 for contactless cards.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    In Spain, there is no limit on contactless but you have to type in your pin for every transaction.

In the UK, I just use the card all the time.

Out of idle curiosity, does this apply to Apple Pay also?

In Finland the limit for contactless was recently raised from 25€ to 50€. The limits do not apply to Apple Pay though, there’s no upper limit paying with it.

Master
    I had a nightmare in Cornwall with them last year 2 out of the 3 cash points were broken and the only one that worked was Barclays which only had £50s my Mrs had an argument in boots for 5 mins and eventually the manager had to come to OK us paying with a £50

Master
    I hate it when ATMs give me fifties. They don't fit well in the wallet so they get all mangled up in no time.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael 38 View Post
    I had a nightmare in Cornwall with them last year 2 out of the 3 cash points were broken and the only one that worked was Barclays which only had £50s my Mrs had an argument in boots for 5 mins and eventually the manager had to come to OK us paying with a £50
    I spent nearly a grand in 50's last week in Cornwall and not a issue in any place. 50 euro notes are common in Ireland but wouldn't risk passing anything higher,

Craftsman
    To me, Big notes are useless on a daily basis but are a savior when it comes to high value f2f transactions.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ywl23n View Post
    To me, Big notes are useless on a daily basis but are a savior when it comes to high value f2f transactions.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    What about BT from your mobile ?

I don't think I've ever had a problem using 50's. Some places might hold them up to the light or rub them with paper but that's it? It's legal tender. If something costs £45 surely a single note is better than 3?

Would get short thrift from me, amazed that anyone in England would accept Scottish notes TBH.

Journeyman
    Would get short thrift from me, amazed that anyone in England would accept Scottish notes TBH.

Would you expect English notes to be accepted in Scotland?

Master
    Would you expect any shop and anyone you needed to pay to accept your English notes if you travelled up to Scotland?
    I willing to guess you would be aghast if your money was turned away (which it wouldn't be btw).
    There’s no difference if you think about it.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I once sold a watch to a TZer at Mimms services on the M25, he gave me over £1000 in £50 notes, I realised when I got to the toll booths at Dartford that I had no other money, they were not impressed with my £50. I never understand the problem with bigger notes, the amount of change you give in coins is the same.
    Last edited by phil h; 20th July 2019 at 09:05. Reason: No such thing as the M35

Grand Master
    Exactly, with the majority paying in 5, 10, 20’s as a retailer you often crave larger notes to reduce size and time
    RIAC

Quote Originally Posted by gmt 16750 View Post
    Would you expect any shop and anyone you needed to pay to accept your English notes if you travelled up to Scotland?
    I willing to guess you would be aghast if your money was turned away (which it wouldn't be btw).
    Of course there’s a difference - I’ve no idea what a Scottish note looks like (believe there are several ‘makes’ so could easily be fake) and even if kosher will have trouble spending them.

There’s no such thing as an English note anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by gmt 16750 View Post
    The difference is huge, I doubt many people in England south of Yorkshire have seen a Scottish note in the last 5 years. I worked in a bank serving a medium sized town inside the M25 and we didn't see one over the counter every week. I'd imagine our notes are seen rather more often in Scotland.

If I take one in my change from the pub it'll be a ball ache to spend anywhere, why would I take it when they've a 'normal' note next to it?

Never had anyone look sideways at me giving them a fifty pound note.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post
    Never had anyone look sideways at me giving them a fifty pound note.
    SE England attitude,we use em to light the AGA.

Many years ago when living in Germany I was always paidd in high denomination D-marks before the Euro thing. I filled up with fuel at a service station, about 45DM at the time. My friend was a couple of places in front of me in the pay queue and wanted to buy some cigarettes but only had a 100DM (about £40 at the time. Cigarettes were about 1.50) note. The cashier was really annoyed and made him wait to be served for change. Imagine her horror when I got to the checkout with only 1000DM (£400 notes) in my wallet. She had to deal with it as the fuel was in my car. Made me smile st the time anyway.

Craftsman
    When I was in Stockholm to my amazement many bars did not accept cash . It occurred to me that in a financial crisis how do you protect your money if you can’t physically hold it . If cash is abolished and it seems to be happening by stealth the government can instigate a negative interest rate policy . I know in real terms they are already doing it .

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app