closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches



TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 50 of 60

Thread: £50 note.....what's the point?

  1. #1

    £50 note.....what's the point?

    This denomination is complely useless with more and more retailers and outlets refusing to take them.
    Ive just had a lengthy FB message with the Post Office who have advised me that with all their branches accepting £50 notes is discretionary. This kind of explains why my local branch have just looked at me like I'm a Columbian drug lord when I gave them some to bank this evening. They took the £400 in twenties no problems without checking a single one but they refused to take £200 in £50 notes

  2. #2
    I’ve managed to get through the last 39 years without ever using a £50. ATMs don’t dispense them so they’re a special request from the bank, which seems completely pointless.

    It’s nice that Turing has finally made it on to a bank note, but the irony is due to computers and online banking, the £50 note is useless and should be resigned to room 101.

  3. #3
    Master
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    London
    Posts
    7,443
    Blog Entries
    1
    They have their place. If I go to view a car for example, it's often easier to pay cash on collection so it makes carrying larger amounts easier.

  4. #4
    I've never had a problem using a £50 note. Years ago I never had a problem using a £100 note either!

    A 500 Euro note was a little different though.
    It's just a matter of time...

  5. #5
    I love £50 notes, always use them when buying a watch if not using BT and if I’m selling I ask if it can be in 50’s

  6. #6
    Grand Master
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Nineteen eighty something
    Posts
    11,083
    I refused one today in John Lewis when I returned an item. Too much hassle if places refuse them.

  7. #7
    Master
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    England and Spain
    Posts
    3,327
    Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    I refused one today in John Lewis when I returned an item. Too much hassle if places refuse them.
    What with everyone using contactless credit cards, why does anyone want to deal with cash. Goodness knows what dirty bugger touched the notes before you did. The thought is repellant.

  8. #8
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Mountsorrel uk
    Posts
    809
    I had a nightmare in Cornwall with them last year 2 out of the 3 cash points were broken and the only one that worked was Barclays which only had £50s my Mrs had an argument in boots for 5 mins and eventually the manager had to come to OK us paying with a £50

  9. #9
    Master
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    London
    Posts
    1,534
    I hate it when ATMs give me fifties. They don't fit well in the wallet so they get all mangled up in no time.

  10. #10
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    453
    To me, Big notes are useless on a daily basis but are a savior when it comes to high value f2f transactions.

    Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

  11. #11
    Master
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    England and Spain
    Posts
    3,327
    Quote Originally Posted by ywl23n View Post
    To me, Big notes are useless on a daily basis but are a savior when it comes to high value f2f transactions.

    Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    What about BT from your mobile ?

  12. #12
    I don't think I've ever had a problem using 50's. Some places might hold them up to the light or rub them with paper but that's it? It's legal tender. If something costs £45 surely a single note is better than 3?

  13. #13
    Master draftsmann's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Malta and sometimes bits of Brit
    Posts
    4,124
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    What with everyone using contactless credit cards, why does anyone want to deal with cash. Goodness knows what dirty bugger touched the notes before you did. The thought is repellant.
    How does that work for you in Spain Mick? I use cash most of the time in Malta and find myself regularly bundling €1k rolls of €50 notes. If I offered card payments or bank transfers to my builders they’d laugh!

  14. #14
    Master
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    England and Spain
    Posts
    3,327
    Quote Originally Posted by draftsmann View Post
    How does that work for you in Spain Mick? I use cash most of the time in Malta and find myself regularly bundling €1k rolls of €50 notes. If I offered card payments or bank transfers to my builders they’d laugh!
    Just 12 months ago, if you bought anything in Spain, it had to be cash.

    Hacienda, the Spanish HMRC seem now to have fully computerised taxed returns, if you don't pay by card, you get moaned at.

    Also just this week, some dirty bugger in this very forum sold a pair of revolting second hand sandals to another member who actually bought the bloody things. Both of these "gentlemen" have handled some old sandals that are riddled with goodness knows what. Do you actually want to touch something these buggers have handled. You could pick up their bugs and pass them onto your friends and family.

    Bank notes are notoriously riddled with germs.

    Yuk yuk and thrice yuk.

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    Just 12 months ago, if you bought anything in Spain, it had to be cash.

    Hacienda, the Spanish HMRC seem now to have fully computerised taxed returns, if you don't pay by card, you get moaned at.

    Also just this week, some dirty bugger in this very forum sold a pair of revolting second hand sandals to another member who actually bought the bloody things. Both of these "gentlemen" have handled some old sandals that are riddled with goodness knows what. Do you actually want to touch something these buggers have handled. You could pick up their bugs and pass them onto your friends and family.

    Bank notes are notoriously riddled with germs.

    Yuk yuk and thrice yuk.
    So you never use any form of cash then on the basis they have people’s germs on them?

  16. #16
    Master
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    England and Spain
    Posts
    3,327
    Quote Originally Posted by Franky Four Fingers View Post
    So you never use any form of cash then on the basis they have people’s germs on them?
    Correct unless I really have to. Would you really want to shake hands or take a bank note off someone who had handled a dirty old pair of sandels. If so, your hands are going to be riddled with germs.

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    Correct unless I really have to. Would you really want to shake hands or take a bank note off someone who had handled a dirty old pair of sandels. If so, your hands are going to be riddled with germs.
    I shake hands with loads of people and don’t generally consider that their hands may be grubby. I guess if you’re unlikely to use cash on that basis you’re unlikely to shake hands with anyone. Your day to day life must be very difficult

  18. #18
    Master
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    England and Spain
    Posts
    3,327
    Quote Originally Posted by Franky Four Fingers View Post
    I shake hands with loads of people and don’t generally consider that their hands may be grubby. I guess if you’re unlikely to use cash on that basis you’re unlikely to shake hands with anyone. Your day to day life must be very difficult
    I have a rule about cash. I take cash out of a ATM to give myself a balance of £200 in my wallet. I do nothing until it goes down to £100 and then I top it up back to £200.

    I think it is about 2 years since I last topped up and I currently have £140 in the wallet.

    I just use contactless all the time and never have any problems.

  19. #19
    Grand Master mart broad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Essex
    Posts
    10,171
    Blog Entries
    4
    I am an OAP this is a first world problem now where did i leave that tin of Chappie?
    I FEEL LIKE I'M DIAGONALLY PARKED IN A PARALLEL UNIVERSE

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    What with everyone using contactless credit cards, why does anyone want to deal with cash. Goodness knows what dirty bugger touched the notes before you did. The thought is repellant.
    Don’t know about Spain but in UK limit is £30 for contactless cards.

  21. #21
    Master
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    England and Spain
    Posts
    3,327
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Don’t know about Spain but in UK limit is £30 for contactless cards.
    In Spain, there is no limit on contactless but you have to type in your pin for every transaction.

    In the UK, I just use the card all the time.

  22. #22
    Master Skyman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Here and there
    Posts
    6,547
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    In Spain, there is no limit on contactless but you have to type in your pin for every transaction.

    In the UK, I just use the card all the time.
    Contactless is by definition without a PIN?

  23. #23
    Master
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    England and Spain
    Posts
    3,327
    Quote Originally Posted by Skyman View Post
    Contactless is by definition without a PIN?
    Not in Spain. You tap the screen with your card and then type in the PIN even for one euro.

  24. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    Bank notes are notoriously riddled with germs..
    Bank notes are notoriously riddled with coke. So it’s swings and roundabouts really.

  25. #25
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    825
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael 38 View Post
    I had a nightmare in Cornwall with them last year 2 out of the 3 cash points were broken and the only one that worked was Barclays which only had £50s my Mrs had an argument in boots for 5 mins and eventually the manager had to come to OK us paying with a £50
    I spent nearly a grand in 50's last week in Cornwall and not a issue in any place. 50 euro notes are common in Ireland but wouldn't risk passing anything higher,

  26. #26
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    In Spain, there is no limit on contactless but you have to type in your pin for every transaction.

    In the UK, I just use the card all the time.
    Spanish method seems pointless TBH and in UK can’t be spending much.

  27. #27
    Master Skyman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Here and there
    Posts
    6,547
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    Not in Spain. You tap the screen with your card and then type in the PIN even for one euro.
    Third world.

  28. #28
    Master
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    London, England
    Posts
    2,472
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    In Spain, there is no limit on contactless but you have to type in your pin for every transaction.

    In the UK, I just use the card all the time.
    So what are your thoughts on the sanitary nature of the pin pad given everyone whose touching it all day long having scratched their whatsit?

    I find the "cash is dirty" argument to be quite laughable. You can't escape germs and contaminants, no matter what you claim.

  29. #29
    Apprentice
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    Sheffield UK
    Posts
    23
    Quote Originally Posted by hafle View Post
    So what are your thoughts on the sanitary nature of the pin pad given everyone whose touching it all day long having scratched their whatsit?

    I find the "cash is dirty" argument to be quite laughable. You can't escape germs and contaminants, no matter what you claim.
    Agree 100%

    Humans have an immune system for a reason.

    All this paranoia around germs is nonsensical.

    Constantly squirting everything with antibacterial sprays & over using bleach is preventing your body from building up its own defences against disease & infection.

    If you ever eat in a restaurant the cutlery will have had a cursory dip & a quick swill in some tepid water contaminated by whatever is on the forks & spoons left after being in other diners mouths...



    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  30. #30
    Bank notes are notoriously riddled with germs.
    I suspect the porous surface of a bank note would make it a poor transmitter. The fact billions of people handle paper money daily and we aren't all dead yet says to me they're pretty safe




    How are the keys on the card machine? I bet there is a horrible mix of tiny death dealers on every one.

  31. #31
    Master
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    North Wilts
    Posts
    1,236
    Try spending scottish £1 notes in England, that's always fun! I used to bring a few home when we lived there just for sport. The looks on people's faces and them trying to explain that £1 notes went out of circulation years ago....
    Eventually someone would come along and realise they can accept them.
    However I have since learned there is no such thing as "legal tender". Anywhere can accept or refuse anything if they choose.
    £50 - we get them at work occasionally and check them carefully but really we see fairly little cash these days.

  32. #32
    Grand Master VDG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Whitehole
    Posts
    18,807
    Not encountered any problems yet paying by £50 notes, the notion that some place refuse to accept legal tender sounds pretty crazy..
    Epstein scandal: "In a statement on Saturday, the Duke of York said that he was fully unconscious since 1999 when he met Epstein for the first time, and at no stage during the limited time he spent with him did he see, witness or suspect any behaviour of the sort that subsequently led to Mr Epstein arrest and conviction.”

  33. #33
    Master
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    London
    Posts
    7,443
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by VDG View Post
    Not encountered any problems yet paying by £50 notes, the notion that some place refuse to accept legal tender sounds pretty crazy..
    I don't take Scottish notes to be fair.

  34. #34
    Would get short thrift from me, amazed that anyone in England would accept Scottish notes TBH.

  35. #35
    Grand Master VDG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Whitehole
    Posts
    18,807
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave O'Sullivan View Post
    I don't take Scottish notes to be fair.
    Why not? Genuine question, is it because you’re not sure if they are kosher or you need to jump through the hoops when depositing them?
    Epstein scandal: "In a statement on Saturday, the Duke of York said that he was fully unconscious since 1999 when he met Epstein for the first time, and at no stage during the limited time he spent with him did he see, witness or suspect any behaviour of the sort that subsequently led to Mr Epstein arrest and conviction.”

  36. #36
    Master
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    London
    Posts
    7,443
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by VDG View Post
    Why not? Genuine question, is it because you’re not sure if they are kosher or you need to jump through the hoops when depositing them?
    I basically don't see enough of them to know if what I'm given are genuine.

  37. #37
    Grand Master VDG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Whitehole
    Posts
    18,807
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave O'Sullivan View Post
    I basically don't see enough of them to know if what I'm given are genuine.
    Cool, thanks. I have about 200 quid in Scottish notes given to me by a friend which I need to exchange at some point..
    Epstein scandal: "In a statement on Saturday, the Duke of York said that he was fully unconscious since 1999 when he met Epstein for the first time, and at no stage during the limited time he spent with him did he see, witness or suspect any behaviour of the sort that subsequently led to Mr Epstein arrest and conviction.”

  38. #38
    Craftsman Tifa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Shropshire UK
    Posts
    971
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    Correct unless I really have to. Would you really want to shake hands or take a bank note off someone who had handled a dirty old pair of sandels. If so, your hands are going to be riddled with germs.
    Sanitiser please.....LOTS of sanitiser......the OCD is strong here.....
    Must be a nightmare wiping ones arse in your world.

  39. #39
    Master
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Glasgow
    Posts
    1,713
    Quote Originally Posted by VDG View Post
    Cool, thanks. I have about 200 quid in Scottish notes given to me by a friend which I need to exchange at some point..
    Best keep an eye on the exchange rate!

  40. #40
    Master Possu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    2,776
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Don’t know about Spain but in UK limit is £30 for contactless cards.
    Out of idle curiosity, does this apply to Apple Pay also?

    In Finland the limit for contactless was recently raised from 25€ to 50€. The limits do not apply to Apple Pay though, there’s no upper limit paying with it.

  41. #41
    Grand Master 100thmonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    London Town
    Posts
    16,243
    Its around £5-6 a drink in pubs here closer to £7-8 in town so buying a round for 3-4 couples is £50, one of the most useful notes especially when paying for more expensive items too, nothing worse than counting a grand in £10’ers
    "When You Go Home, Tell Them Of Us And Say,
    For Their Tomorrow, We Gave Our Today"

  42. #42
    Grand Master 100thmonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    London Town
    Posts
    16,243
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    Bank notes are notoriously riddled with germs.

    Yuk yuk and thrice yuk.
    I hope you put gloves on to push your supermarket trolley!


    On the mention of €500 notes, having taken a few in I find that its hard to find a exchange for them but the banks in central are actively wanting them to get them out of circulation.
    "When You Go Home, Tell Them Of Us And Say,
    For Their Tomorrow, We Gave Our Today"

  43. #43
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Belfast
    Posts
    167
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Would get short thrift from me, amazed that anyone in England would accept Scottish notes TBH.

    Would you expect English notes to be accepted in Scotland?

  44. #44

    £50 note.....what's the point?

    Quote Originally Posted by Possu View Post
    Out of idle curiosity, does this apply to Apple Pay also?

    In Finland the limit for contactless was recently raised from 25€ to 50€. The limits do not apply to Apple Pay though, there’s no upper limit paying with it.
    No limit with Apple Pay here either, though retailers may set their own.

  45. #45
    Master
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    the Borders - Bonnie Scotland :)
    Posts
    1,128
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Would get short thrift from me, amazed that anyone in England would accept Scottish notes TBH.
    Would you expect any shop and anyone you needed to pay to accept your English notes if you travelled up to Scotland?
    I willing to guess you would be aghast if your money was turned away (which it wouldn't be btw).
    There’s no difference if you think about it.

  46. #46
    Master
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Malvern
    Posts
    6,444
    I once sold a watch to a TZer at Mimms services on the M25, he gave me over £1000 in £50 notes, I realised when I got to the toll booths at Dartford that I had no other money, they were not impressed with my £50. I never understand the problem with bigger notes, the amount of change you give in coins is the same.
    Last edited by phil h; 20th July 2019 at 09:05. Reason: No such thing as the M35

  47. #47
    Grand Master 100thmonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    London Town
    Posts
    16,243
    Exactly, with the majority paying in 5, 10, 20’s as a retailer you often crave larger notes to reduce size and time
    "When You Go Home, Tell Them Of Us And Say,
    For Their Tomorrow, We Gave Our Today"

  48. #48
    Quote Originally Posted by gmt 16750 View Post
    Would you expect any shop and anyone you needed to pay to accept your English notes if you travelled up to Scotland?
    I willing to guess you would be aghast if your money was turned away (which it wouldn't be btw).
    There’s no difference if you think about it.
    Of course there’s a difference - I’ve no idea what a Scottish note looks like (believe there are several ‘makes’ so could easily be fake) and even if kosher will have trouble spending them.

    There’s no such thing as an English note anyway.

  49. #49
    Quote Originally Posted by Possu View Post
    Out of idle curiosity, does this apply to Apple Pay also?

    In Finland the limit for contactless was recently raised from 25€ to 50€. The limits do not apply to Apple Pay though, there’s no upper limit paying with it.
    Apple Pay doesn’t have a limit as such, but retailers can chose to have one. Because of the need for fingerprint it’s more secure than chip and pin, and contactless obviously.

  50. #50
    Quote Originally Posted by gmt 16750 View Post
    Would you expect any shop and anyone you needed to pay to accept your English notes if you travelled up to Scotland?
    I willing to guess you would be aghast if your money was turned away (which it wouldn't be btw).
    There’s no difference if you think about it.
    The difference is huge, I doubt many people in England south of Yorkshire have seen a Scottish note in the last 5 years. I worked in a bank serving a medium sized town inside the M25 and we didn't see one over the counter every week. I'd imagine our notes are seen rather more often in Scotland.

    If I take one in my change from the pub it'll be a ball ache to spend anywhere, why would I take it when they've a 'normal' note next to it?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •