closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Are DateJusts being hit by the Professional model supply / demand issues?

Master

Are DateJusts being hit by the Professional model supply / demand issues?

Noticed many ADs I have been to in the recent months are getting increasingly sparse in terms of DateJust stock.

NOTHING stainless on a jubilee at all and especially limited stock of the 41mm models.

Is this nationwide or just a London problem?

Even more so if you want a blue face!

I was tempted to go for a Blue DJ41 with Jubilee but seems hard to come by. Noticed WF are now retailing DJ41 blue face with the OYSTER at above retail.

Called a large goldsmiths branch yesterday to be told they only have two tone DJ in stock and any DJ with a blue face is a 6-12 month wait, I know that is nonsense in terms of the wait, but demonstrates something I have never seen - an AD refusing to sell me a DJ! Crazy times!

Master

Yes, the 41mm is in increasingly short supply. Not just the blue dial.....dark rhodium is sought after. I’ve watched this situation grow over the last 18 months. The main reason is, of course, the general shortage of Rolex sports models. However, I suspect that more people have also slowly realised what an exceptional model the 41 is.
    The best bet is the least expensive, with steel bezel. With a Jubilee it looks great; rather nicer, I think, than some of the ‘sports’ models. Strange times.
    Or, for extra cash, more bling.
    Incidentally, notice how visually similar that model is, at around 7K, to the DayDate 40 at 29k.
    For my taste, the least expensive, smooth bezel, is the nicest.
    My other favourite is the Milgauss, but that’s another story.
    Last edited by paskinner; 19th July 2019 at 17:40.

The model hasn't been out that long, so there are not huge stocks held by AD's. Once they have sold they will need to wait for allocation.

Unlike some brands, Rolex has always tried to match production with demand - not overstock and hope things sell. That means it takes time to correct higher demand - just look at the initial Tudor GMT and 58 under supply issue, when AD's underestimated demand and didn't pre-order at higher levels.
    It's just a matter of time...

Master
    Eighteen months ago they were freely available, I just walked in and bought one. Then, six months later, samples were coming into the store and selling within days. By this Spring, it had become quite hard and ADs could no longer be confident of supply.
    So, if you want one, act quickly because the queues are getting longer.

That maybe true - but it relies on continued demand, and assumes production wouldn't be increased.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    Eighteen months ago they were freely available, I just walked in and bought one. Then, six months later, samples were coming into the store and selling within days. By this Spring, it had become quite hard and ADs could no longer be confident of supply.
    So, if you want one, act quickly because the queues are getting longer.
    Yes Rolex are continuing to restrict demand and the " I must have it" ethos is beginning to expand into the DJ range. It's is proof that they are winning the fight in brand protection and no one can blame them for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    .......the " I must have it" ethos is beginning to expand into the DJ range.
    It definately is,

When i picked up the GMT on Wednesday, a lad came in and asked if they had "any sports/proffesional rolex in steel, Sub/GMT/Explorer/Daytona or a Datejust 41 in steel"

He was told no they've not got any as they are highly sought after, but they have a few bi-metal pieces or 36mm Datejusts if he was interested. So off he went with an assistant to look at them (i'm guessing)

15mins he goes flouncing past me and out the shop in an epic tantrum, thoroughly amusing.... clearly he couldn't get what he wanted.

Quote Originally Posted by endo View Post
    It definately is,

When i picked up the GMT on Wednesday, a lad came in and asked if they had "any sports/proffesional rolex in steel, Sub/GMT/Explorer/Daytona or a Datejust 41 in steel"

He was told no they've not got any as they are highly sought after, but they have a few bi-metal pieces or 36mm Datejusts if he was interested. So off he went with an assistant to look at them (i'm guessing)

15mins he goes flouncing past me and out the shop in an epic tantrum, thoroughly amusing.... clearly he couldn't get what he wanted.
    Love it, is he one of us?
    Last edited by Kingstepper; 19th July 2019 at 18:10.

Master
    Another thing I’ve noticed. Watch what ‘grey’ dealers begin to stock; there was a time when the DJ was largely ignored...because you could get them from Rolex. But recently these companies have been advertising growing numbers of 41s. Ahead of the curve, which I suppose is how they stay in business.

It definately is,

Clearly he couldn't get what Rolex purport to be selling as per their website.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Love it, is he one of us?
    He had the flounce, so maybe :p

If there’s a topic
    “Outrageous, Couldn’t buy a Datejust 41, but an unshaven hobo in dirty jeans gets given a GMT”
    We know for sure

Craftsman
    Popped into my AD before and they said they weren’t getting many datejust 41s in or full gold sports.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FWIW I heard that Rolex are looking to reduce their UK dealer network to focus on Goldsmiths - as their longest established dealer - along with Rolex boutiques.
    This would obviously mean a lot of current dealers losing their Rolex franchise but may mean that fewer branches equals more stock to go around so fewer empty shelves!
    It may also mean more product heading into the grey market as those dealers losing their franchise liquidate existing stock.
    Who knows - who cares; have a great weekend everyone.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    It must be a pretty depressing job working in a Rolex AD with no stock and annoyed and frustrated customers all day. This state of affairs needs sorting. A Rolex is a nice watch but it is not that special. You can walk into a Ferrari dealer and order a car you might have to wait a long time but they would have an idea of a delivery time. If Rolex are swamped with demand do what most suppliers do, up the prices significantly to match supply and demand. You can’t carry on like this, people give up in the end it is just a watch and there are many alternatives. Fashion and tastes move on quite quickly. It goes against business logic not to exploit demand. That demand might not be there forever. Every bubble bursts.

Master
    He had the flounce, so maybe :p
    re
    I think it was Federer.

Re:
    15mins he goes flouncing past me and out the shop in an epic tantrum, thoroughly amusing.... clearly he couldn't get what he wanted

Straight to TZ-UK to post how he will never buy this mass produced, overpriced, nothing special, fashion brand again.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    Yes Rolex are continuing to restrict demand and the " I must have it" ethos is beginning to expand into the DJ range. It's is proof that they are winning the fight in brand protection and no one can blame them for that.
    How do you know Rolex are restricting demand?

Quote Originally Posted by jonny View Post
    How would they even do that?

Master
    Bugger bugger bugger, a totally stupid typo for which I apologise.

Substitute the word supply for demand.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jonny View Post
    Changing the case shape, polished centre links, that kind of thing...

Quote Originally Posted by Itsguy View Post
    LOL. Excellent

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Itsguy View Post
    Yep, the 41 is just a bit too......

Or, increasing supply might restrict demand...

Quote Originally Posted by Boss13 View Post
    Noticed many ADs I have been to in the recent months are getting increasingly sparse in terms of DateJust stock.

NOTHING stainless on a jubilee at all and especially limited stock of the 41mm models.

I was tempted to go for a Blue DJ41 with Jubilee but seems hard to come by. Noticed WF are now retailing DJ41 blue face with the OYSTER at above retail.

Called a large goldsmiths branch yesterday to be told they only have two tone DJ in stock and any DJ with a blue face is a 6-12 month wait, I know that is nonsense in terms of the wait, but demonstrates something I have never seen - an AD refusing to sell me a DJ! Crazy times!
    Buy a Tudor style blue dial 41mm. Easily available similar apart from the date window and is a fraction of the price.
    Last edited by robert75; 19th July 2019 at 21:13.

Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    Re:
    15mins he goes flouncing past me and out the shop in an epic tantrum, thoroughly amusing.... clearly he couldn't get what he wanted

Straight to TZ-UK to post how he will never buy this mass produced, overpriced, nothing special, fashion brand again.
    Harsh, but fair!🤣🤣

Master
    I called in on the dealer I usually buy from last Monday. The manager told me the store takings are 30% down on this time last year. He had no 36mm or 41mm DJ’s no 36mm or 39mm OP’s, and he just gave me a wry smile and a shrug of the shoulders when I asked about anything from the professional range.

They don’t sell any other brand, so they’re basically sitting around all day, telling customers sorry, can’t help.

Anonimo Epurato another brand with a similar look which can be easily purchased.

Quote Originally Posted by robert75 View Post
    Anonimo Epurato another brand with a similar look which can be easily purchased.
    Similar look to what exactly?

Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    Similar look to what exactly?
    Datejust, is that not the title of this thread?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by robert75 View Post
    Datejust, is that not the title of this thread?
    Don't see it personally. There are loads that look similar, but not these from what I can see.

Craftsman
    At the start of February I decided I wanted a Datejust 41. I’d been away from any watch forums for a while so I wasn’t up to speed with how the sports models had all of a sudden become near impossible to get hold of but it was the datejust that caught my eye anyway. So I rang around a couple of AD. Goldsmiths said they didn’t have the one I was after but took my name and claimed to put me on a waiting list. Then I rang David M Robinson and they said they wanted a 20% deposit and hopefully would get me one within 6 months. I went for that option because I believe them more than I did Goldsmiths. Anyway, yesterday I got the call

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by ManCityDG View Post
    At the start of February I decided I wanted a Datejust 41. I’d been away from any watch forums for a while so I wasn’t up to speed with how the sports models had all of a sudden become near impossible to get hold of but it was the datejust that caught my eye anyway. So I rang around a couple of AD. Goldsmiths said they didn’t have the one I was after but took my name and claimed to put me on a waiting list. Then I rang David M Robinson and they said they wanted a 20% deposit and hopefully would get me one within 6 months. I went for that option because I believe them more than I did Goldsmiths. Anyway, yesterday I got the call

Amazing watch!

Master
    That watch looks stunning. So it appears that my hypothesis was correct - you really cannot walk in to an AD and buy a DJ 41 in steel unless you are lucky.

I am still slightly shocked by that, as I always thought it was the model the ADs couldn't shift fast enough. I do like the look of them, part of the appeal of buying one was actually being able to walk in, look at several, pick one and walk out with it. I guess that may not be the case!

I am leaning towards blue stick dial with the polished bezel. Really do like the fluted, but I feel saving a few ŁŁŁ and less bling may make it more of an everyday watch to go in rotation with the sub.

Craftsman
    In the UK yes, I was ‘offered’ an OP39 at Heathrow T4. Manager had to take it out from the cupboard (it wasn’t on display) and told me it’s a ‘rare’ piece and that if he displays it, it will sell quickly.

I’ve visited a few ADs in South East Asia during my holiday and DJs and OPs are more widely available (and on display) but RRP price there is higher...

Funny how I had to start a conversation in T4 before being offered an OP and told it’s quite rare but when my flight lands in Malaysia there were a lot on display in the Malaysia airport AD...

Journeyman
    That watch looks stunning. So it appears that my hypothesis was correct - you really cannot walk in to an AD and buy a DJ 41 in steel unless you are lucky.

I am still slightly shocked by that, as I always thought it was the model the ADs couldn't shift fast enough. I do like the look of them, part of the appeal of buying one was actually being able to walk in, look at several, pick one and walk out with it. I guess that may not be the case!

I am leaning towards blue stick dial with the polished bezel. Really do like the fluted, but I feel saving a few ŁŁŁ and less bling may make it more of an everyday watch to go in rotation with the sub.
    I find the polished bezel on my Milgauss is a scratch magnet but I am quite clumsy and hard on my watches. The fluted bezel is less likely to show up little daily knocks in my opinion.

I had been mulling over getting something dressy for a while, as all my watches have been on the sportier side.

Finally decided to look for a Datejust but no-one seemed to have any steel ones in stock.

Fast forward a few months, and went into Mappin & Webb in Manchester during the usual watch shop visits.

I particularly wanted the blue dial, smooth bezel with Jubilee bracelet.

None on display, but a quick enquiry brought a blue dialled, smooth bezelled Oyster bracelet DJ41 from the back room.

Nearly there, but not quite.

They did have a Jubilee bracelet DJ41 but it was fluted bezel and black dial.

A quick swap of the bracelet, and one happy customer!

Maybe always worth asking if they have anything else in stock.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Barrisimo View Post
    I find the polished bezel on my Milgauss is a scratch magnet but I am quite clumsy and hard on my watches. The fluted bezel is less likely to show up little daily knocks in my opinion.
    Interesting point. I know I will scratch the bracelet as soon as I wear it so need to try to ignore them, it is part of the fun I suppose! They can always be polished one day if required.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Go Big View Post
    I had been mulling over getting something dressy for a while, as all my watches have been on the sportier side.

Finally decided to look for a Datejust but no-one seemed to have any steel ones in stock.

Fast forward a few months, and went into Mappin & Webb in Manchester during the usual watch shop visits.

I particularly wanted the blue dial, smooth bezel with Jubilee bracelet.

None on display, but a quick enquiry brought a blue dialled, smooth bezelled Oyster bracelet DJ41 from the back room.

Nearly there, but not quite.

They did have a Jubilee bracelet DJ41 but it was fluted bezel and black dial.

A quick swap of the bracelet, and one happy customer!

Maybe always worth asking if they have anything else in stock.

Fantastic! How long ago was this? Definitely seems tricky these days to get hold of.

Lovely picture, that is the combo I am after.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Barrisimo View Post
    Fluted and jubilee were the only option I considered. The smooth bezel is too plain for my liking and I wanted the jubilee because not only do I prefer the look of it on the DJ but also because my other watch (Hulk) is on an oyster and i like my watches to be different to each other

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by ManCityDG View Post
    Fluted and jubilee were the only option I considered.
    +1. Very classic combo and what I am now in the waiting list for.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Fantastic! How long ago was this? Definitely seems tricky these days to get hold of.

Lovely picture, that is the combo I am after.
    This was three weeks ago, and I didn't have much hope of finding one to be honest.

Just lucky I guess.

Master

The plain/ fluted bezel option is worth taking time over....although you might find it hard these days to compare directly; the visual difference is surprisingly large. The smooth option produces a more modern look, plain and quite severe. The overall effect is fairly laid back. The Jubilee seems to really suit this.
    The white gold, fluted option, is a different beast. It really catches any light, ‘flashing’ and sparkling on the wrist. Frankly, it can seem a bit much, too much glitter. And it’s also, to my eyes, more ‘golf club.’ More old-fashioned.

I’d take a guess that, long-term, the smooth bezel will be more sought-after, if only because rarer.

The joke is, to get this smooth bezel in the DayDate you have to buy platinum.
    Last edited by paskinner; 20th July 2019 at 08:56.

Got my DJ41 very quickly. My choice was plain bezel an black baton dial.
    Hugely underrated in my opinion.
    The LV hasn't had a look in for a while.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Master
    That I do like....very classy indeed.

Craftsman

I saw exatly the watch you are after in the window of goldsmith's meadowhall (Sheffield) a couple of days ago- blue dial, smooth bezel, jubilee DJ41. Not sure if it will still be there but could be worth a call.

Generally though, yes, they are becoming much rarer to happen across. That's why it stuck in my mind.

Master
    @paskinner, I'm with you on the rhodium dial / smooth bezel combo, although I prefer the Oyster bracelet.
    I'm beginning to realise how lucky I was to get my DJ41 in early May - a random phone call to WoS on Oxford Street & I was told they had one on a Jubilee but would swap for the Oyster for me.
    M&W had quoted me up to 6 months wait so I was incredibly lucky.
    An earlier poster said they had a bracelet swapped from the Oyster to the Jubilee, the opposite of what I did. When these watches go for their first service, are Rolex going to point this out / return the watch to the original configuration?

I've make a habit of visiting Rolex ADs in every town I happen to be in and was in Kingston upon Thames so just popped in to the Fraser Hart and saw DJ41 in blue so bought it there and then.
    Ideally, I would have liked to buy it through Goldsmiths/WOS as I have lots of purchase history.

Mark

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Master
    [QUOTE=Speedy2254;5153539
    An earlier poster said they had a bracelet swapped from the Oyster to the Jubilee, the opposite of what I did. When these watches go for their first service, are Rolex going to point this out / return the watch to the original configuration?[/QUOTE]

When I bought a 41mm with fluted bezel, the AD swapped the bracelet for a Jubilee. My guess is that change, on a new watch before sale, is recorded on the Rolex records. As the two bracelets are inter-changeable it doesn’t seem to matter anyway. Both are ‘correct.’

Plenty of SS DJ41 in Fraser Hart Kingston today including blue dial and rhodium varieties (with WG bezel).

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by D4RW1N View Post
    I saw exatly the watch you are after in the window of goldsmith's meadowhall (Sheffield) a couple of days ago- blue dial, smooth bezel, jubilee DJ41. Not sure if it will still be there but could be worth a call.

Generally though, yes, they are becoming much rarer to happen across. That's why it stuck in my mind.
    They had a smooth bezel silver dial on jubilee a couple of weeks ago when I went in. I think with these the issue is that you are unlikely to see the exact combination you want unless you are lucky. I was told that a deposit would be needed for them to start sourcing a specific configuration. I quite fancy a smooth bezel with silver, blue or Wimbledon dial.