closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Are DateJusts being hit by the Professional model supply / demand issues?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by robert75 View Post
    It was tongue in cheek, I love the datejust (not so much a fan of the larger version though) and not so long ago it was very much the “Grandad watch” looked down on not just here but in most places and could easily be found at a discount just like the OP.

I just find it a bit ironic that people seem so desperate for a Rolex they will literally buy anything just so long as it’s a Rolex.
    This may be true of some, possibly an increasing number, but some others looked at their collections & identified the DJ as filling a requirement, choosing it on that basis.
    I have a 300m chronometer diver so I don't need a Sub (which in any case doesn't look good on me). I have an iconic chronograph, so I don't need a Daytona (which I don't like the look of).
    What I needed was a piece that would mark a significant birthday, was stainless steel & was capable of being a daily wearer with either smart or casual clothes.
    Looked at IWC & Omega as well as Rolex but the DJ was the one that I liked best overall.

Craftsman
    Was in WOS Glasgow yesterday asking about the blue dial fluted bezel. They had one on an oyster bracelet that was waiting to be picked up that they let me have a look at. Stunning watch, guy said they get 2 or 3 a year on oyster and the same on jubilee.
    6 months to a year waiting time for the blue or rhodium dials.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedyexplorer View Post
    Was in WOS Glasgow yesterday asking about the blue dial fluted bezel. They had one on an oyster bracelet that was waiting to be picked up that they let me have a look at. Stunning watch, guy said they get 2 or 3 a year on oyster and the same on jubilee.
    6 months to a year waiting time for the blue or rhodium dials.
    Brilliant store. Mark in there is a really good guy.

Master
    Never mind the Datejusts, I can't even currently find a black or white OP 39mm to look at where I am. It seems as though anything 39mm+ in SS is close to unavailable.
    Last edited by ColDaspin; 29th July 2019 at 08:44.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Gareth-W View Post
    Respectfully, “Tim Moss” of “Watchfinder” has probably missed off a number of other Rolex range offerings and the real “allocation” list clearly does not cover only 4 models at all....and they’re all in greater demand/more scarce than the Datejust range...
    You do know who Tim Mosso is? And that Govberg is probably the largest Rolex dealer in the USA?
    They just might have an idea about what’s going on.
    Last edited by paskinner; 29th July 2019 at 09:50.

Question

Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    You do know who Tim Mosso is? And that Govberg is probably the largest Rolex dealer in the USA?

So was your post specific to the US, not UK, market?

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ColDaspin View Post
    Never mind the Datejusts, I can't even currently find a black or white OP 39mm to look at where I am. It seems as though anything 39mm+ in SS is close to unavailable.
    Funny I only had low ball offers for an unworn OP39 a couple of months back, ended up in a dealers for £3.6k

The dj41 is lovely watch though, rodium and fluted bezel would be my choice.

I can't even currently find a black or white OP 39mm to look at where I am.
    Quote Originally Posted by Middo View Post
    Funny I only had low ball offers for an unworn OP39 a couple of months back
    Presumably the black and the white models are getting a lot more demand than the ones with colourful dials such as your 39mm Red Grape?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    Its ranges rather than models that are on allocation to dealers but with exceptions. Gold and TT submariners for instance can be ord ered en masse. Ditto yachtmasters.

I enjoy sitting on the sidelines watching the whole situation. Its such an obviously inflated bubble, driven mainly by demand from mainland Chinese tourists. Anywhere you go in Europe and usa theyre there in droves, toting around LV, Chanel, cartier and Rolex paper bags...

Soon enough the association will be very detrimental to the brands... We've seen it before with Breitling and Burberry etc.

Master
    You may be right. Relentless demand from Asia is all very well, but it can backfire as a brand gets a negative image. Mind you, up until now, Rolex have been the masters of marketing.
    The biggest result may be in the appearance of the watches. For the last few years they have got more shiny, bigger and a touch ‘blingy’. Again, if that’s what buyers want, that’s what they will get.

Craftsman
    I caved and put myself on a list for a white OP 39 last week.

I still haven't seen one in the flesh but love the look of the white dial in videos. What a crazy position to be in where there is a wait list for an OP. Good luck with the search!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkR View Post

I still haven't seen one in the flesh but love the look of the white dial in videos. What a crazy position to be in where there is a wait list for an OP. Good luck with the search!
    We can only guess but surely situation is going to continue for a few months at least, because from Rolex's point of view, things are improving significantly.

Two years ago, any chancer could walk into an AD and demand a discount which they usually got. Today there are a lot less watches and no discounts. This is how Rolex are going to restore their brand and they can increase the RRP worldwide.

They want buying a Rolex to be an experience and not just a transaction and this is how they will do it.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    We can only guess but surely situation is going to continue for a few months at least, because from Rolex's point of view, things are improving significantly.

Two years ago, any chancer could walk into an AD and demand a discount which they usually got. Today there are a lot less watches and no discounts. This is how Rolex are going to restore their brand and they can increase the RRP worldwide.

They want buying a Rolex to be an experience and not just a transaction and this is how they will do it.
    I agree. I'm also on their wait list for a BB58 on bracelet and they inferred that would be in well before the OP...

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    Presumably the black and the white models are getting a lot more demand than the ones with colourful dials such as your 39mm Red Grape?

I agree, but you could have serviced it and a dial change for less than buying new or going grey. Not the end of the world on my part, forum missed out on a bargain though.

I will add that the OP is a nice classic watch, the DJ has that bit more about it though.
    Last edited by Middo; 29th July 2019 at 14:05.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    Given the obstacles you have to get over to acquire some models I can only imagine the experience Rolex are going for is something akin to a cactus enema.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Groundrush View Post
    Given the obstacles you have to get over to acquire some models I can only imagine the experience Rolex are going for is something akin to a cactus enema.
    LOL!

Master

Yep. I think I could be very interested in one but I'm reluctant to put myself on a list and wait an indeterminate amount of time to find out. An SS Datejust is also a clear alternative but, again, there are literally none in the shops.

I'm not sure Rolex are doing themselves too many favours at the moment. One or two unavailable headliners (Daytona etc.) to add a little perceived exclusiveness, I understand, but a business model whereby their customers are unable to see actually see any of the models they want seems a little, how to put it, unusual.

It's almost at the stage where there are more ALSs, PPs and their ilk in the windows than Rolexes.
    Last edited by ColDaspin; 29th July 2019 at 15:53.

Craftsman
    Yep. I think I could be very interested in one but I'm reluctant to put myself on a list and wait an indeterminate amount of time to find out. An SS Datejust is also a clear alternative but, again, there are literally none in the shops.

I'm not sure Rolex are doing themselves too many favours at the moment. One or two unavailable headliners (Daytona etc.) to add a little perceived exclusiveness, I understand, but a business model whereby their customers are unable to see actually see any of the models they want seems a little, how to put it, unusual.

It's almost at the stage where there are more ALSs, PPs and their ilk in the windows than Rolexes.
    I made it clear that I would pay a holding deposit when they got one one, but that it was acceptable to not proceed after examining in person. They seemed good with that luckily, so I thought why not ;)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Middo View Post
    I agree, but you could have serviced it and a dial change for less than buying new or going grey. Not the end of the world on my part, forum missed out on a bargain though.

I will add that the OP is a nice classic watch, the DJ has that bit more about it though.
    This is exactly my concern. The white OP was met by a collective online swoon but there were also plenty of comments that it was a touch bland, something that the DJ41 would address. I have a pretty good idea what any DJ would be like but, for the OP, it all comes down to one's personal response to that white dial. And in the absence of any in the shops, it's a little tricky to gauge ...

Master
    I made it clear that I would pay a holding deposit when they got one one, but that it was acceptable to not proceed after examining in person. They seemed good with that luckily, so I thought why not ;)
    Absolutely. They'll be able to sell it 10mins later anyway if you decide against, so no harm to either party.

Had the joy of Bournemouth in the rain today. Topical comment that 3 datejusts in the window this pm.

Oh, and a lovely stick dial blue faced fluted bezel at Michael Mathews for £7250. Looked awesome.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Evangelos View Post
    Dear all,

I 've purchased a jewellery set for my wife from one of the Goldsmiths at Newcastle today, for our anniversary, which is on the way. Since I was there, I thought to also see what is going on with the waiting lists for a 126334 (fluted bezel - blue bezel with batons dial). There was some kind of Q&A where the sales person tried to probably understand a little more about who I am, probably wanted to realise whether I am a punter who buys and re-sells SS rolexes straight away, who knows.

I confirm that indeed, for us sporadic customers, there is a waiting list which is unknown how far it goes and when someone's turn to collect the watch might be.

I was wearing my oysterquartz 17000 which admittedly attracted the attention of the people working there who mentioned that it is kind of rare see this watch being in such good conditions etc. etc.. I think this gave me some credits (I hope). The person who served me said that he will try call the company to see whether we can make this happen relatively soon, although no idea how soon is soon and whether this is a comment that is said to all customers.

Anyhow, i filled the waiting list form, gave my handshake and left the premises wandering whether this went well or not. I guess time will only show.

Evangelos

Just received my blue dial Rolex Datejust 41, jubilee bracelet and batons on the dial.

It took me a month and a half waiting, more or less.

I asked generally speaking what is going on with the lists, he told me the hottest watch right now, and probably the rarest, is the golden Daytona with green dial.. for the rest, am a cool guy (meaning good customer?) and he can do something if anything is needed.

Pictures soon..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Congratulations enjoy it! Mine says hi!

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Evangelos View Post
    Just received my blue dial Rolex Datejust 41, jubilee bracelet and batons on the dial.

It took me a month and a half waiting, more or less.

I asked generally speaking what is going on with the lists, he told me the hottest watch right now, and probably the rarest, is the golden Daytona with green dial.. for the rest, am a cool guy (meaning good customer?) and he can do something if anything is needed.

Pictures soon..

Enjoy , congrats , not a long wait at all and a lovely watch .

Master
    Fantastic. Great news! Looking forward to the pics.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    41mm in short supply so know an AD with a list for 36mm Datejusts in steel on jubilee

Anyone purchased a 36mm or a 41mm fluted Datejust, with the blue dial lately?

I was wondering what sort of wait time they are?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MDSWATCH View Post

A lots happened in a year... I did see some DJ of different sizes and colours pre-lockdown in WoS Regent Street - able to buy on the spot.

I got a blue datejust with almost no wait - there wasn’t one in stock but it was mid lockdown and they got one in the first consignment which hadn’t been allocated.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Blog Entries
    Was in an AD last week and they said the DJ41 had become very popular. They did have a two tone one though! I still think the DJ41 is a good size.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Master

Are DateJusts being hit by the Professional model supply / demand issues?

Quote Originally Posted by MDSWATCH View Post

I’ve been on a list for one for over 12 months. WoS Royal Exchange had one in their window March ( a friend called me) I rang them and asked them to hold for me to collect following day. They said no and I missed it. None since then.

Good hunting

Quote Originally Posted by joe narvey View Post
    I’ve been on a list for one for over 12 months. WoS Royal Exchange had one in their window March ( a friend called me) I rang them and asked them to hold for me to collect following day. They said no and I missed it. None since then.
    Back when they had the footfall, I think that phonecall would go very different today. I popped in last year to hold an OP39 White for a member here who decided against it in the end. The blonde London girl was nice enough to hold it for a day or two. If you friend went in they might have held it.