timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Corvette goes Mid-Engined!!!

Hybrid View

Master

Corvette goes Mid-Engined!!!

Kind of a big deal:

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/n...ives-495bhp-v8

Base model will be under $60k, RHD will be available. This is gonna sell truckloads.

Master
    To my mind, it’s no longer a Corvette.

Quote Originally Posted by MadeOfCheese View Post
    Kind of a big deal:

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/n...ives-495bhp-v8

Base model will be under $60k, RHD will be available. This is gonna sell truckloads.

Will probably be £80k if they come to the UK

Master
    I think this is a corker. Need to see it in the flesh but the images of the interior and exterior looks great, performance looks great, mid engined so great. Only concern is if it is 80k it will need to have good build quality, better than current model.

Wondering why people with no interest in watches are on a watch forum?
    Blog Entries
    Looks like a low rent Ferrari 488

I’d buy it

Master
    Looks a cracker with great spec.

I’d steal it.

Master
    It has to compete with so much out there, looks wise it's great, build quality can only be known once seen, but my main concern is how will it drive.
    As with most things from across the pond they aren't known for there handling etc when compared to what else is on the market in a similar price bracket.
    I had a couple of "old school" yanks and absolutely loved them for the power and noise, and obviously for the looks, but as for handling, well best not go there.
    Hopefully this has been sorted.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard View Post
    Will probably be £80k if they come to the UK
    More than that I suspect. Corvette named or not, I bet it's a cracker to drive though.

Master
    At this money I'd look at the Evora 400/410.

Interesting reflection on the position of vehicle design in the US. Why are they re-using the Corvette name? Vette = engine at the front, massive bonnet, dude (essentially) at the back. It looks vaguely reminiscent of many similar designs we've seen before, coming out how many years ago? Fossil-fuel powered. It's hardly imaginative and cutting edge. What's to commend it, the price? Anybody want a cheap 737 max?

Quote Originally Posted by catch21 View Post
    Interesting reflection on the position of vehicle design in the US. Why are they re-using the Corvette name? Vette = engine at the front, massive bonnet, dude (essentially) at the back. It looks vaguely reminiscent of many similar designs we've seen before, coming out how many years ago? Fossil-fuel powered. It's hardly imaginative and cutting edge. What's to commend it, the price? Anybody want a cheap 737 max?
    It's an interesting question. I don't know if legislation has or will change but front-engine sports cars are at a disadvantage to mid-engine ones in terms of styling (the bonnet has to be a certain distance above the top of the engine in case you hit a pedestrian for example) and it will certainly handle better, and probably more safely. Another factor could be the racing aspect. The 911 RSR is already mid-engine (don't ask me how that works with the rules) and so's the Ford GT, although they have announced their withdrawal from factory racing (although they'll support privateer teams). Perhaps it simply keeps them competitive. The Corvette has been racing a lot longer than pretty much anything else - one won its class at Le Mans in 1960.

It's not as if GM could kill the Corvette, which is still incredibly successful.

I did a few miles in a C6 a few years back (including some track stuff) and thoroughly enjoyed it. I think mostly because I like my front-engine, RWD cars with a bit too much power. I'm sure they'll make a huge success of it and if they can seriously undercut a load of mid-engine rivals then why not.
    "A man of little significance"

Unfortunately it looks like a Ferrari F430, Probably amazing value £ for performance.

It's quick, big and heavy, not usually a great combination for cornering although mid-engine should help, further more the cockpit doesn't appear conducive to a bit of late night hubba hubba.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    It's quick, big and heavy, not usually a great combination for cornering although mid-engine should help,
    Actually, it does not.
    Mid engine only holds an edge when the car is set up to be driven by soemone who can actually dríve.
    If set up for the average american lead footed driver, it will need be as understeered as an oil tanker.

The other limitation is that it needs be built at a relative budget as it is after all intended to be relatively mass produced.
    A well behaved mass produced mid engine car on a budget is not an easy proposition.
    Now, that cán be elegantly done by cleverly incorporating parts from the parts bin like Toyota has shown with three generations of MRs but since this is GM, the Pontiac Fiero springs to mind...

Lastly; big and heavy are not the things that spring to mind when you say mid engined. Bit of a contradiction in terms no?!

We´ll see how it works out on the road in the hands of red necks.
    For the moment the ´Old men rejoice; it has space for a golf bag´ does not spell ´sports car´....
    Last edited by Huertecilla; 22nd July 2019 at 16:48.

Craftsman
    Will be £72950 in the UK and will come in right hand drive. Pretty cool.

Wonder how it would compare to an Audi R8 for fun weekend driving.

Master

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by zanderpants View Post

No discussing taste.
    To mé it looks more a transformers fantasy than a spoiler special Civic RRtypERROR