closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Corvette goes Mid-Engined!!!

Master

Corvette goes Mid-Engined!!!

Kind of a big deal:

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/n...ives-495bhp-v8

Base model will be under $60k, RHD will be available. This is gonna sell truckloads.

Master
    To my mind, it’s no longer a Corvette.

Quote Originally Posted by MadeOfCheese View Post
    Kind of a big deal:

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/n...ives-495bhp-v8

Base model will be under $60k, RHD will be available. This is gonna sell truckloads.

Will probably be £80k if they come to the UK

Master
    I think this is a corker. Need to see it in the flesh but the images of the interior and exterior looks great, performance looks great, mid engined so great. Only concern is if it is 80k it will need to have good build quality, better than current model.

Wondering why people with no interest in watches are on a watch forum?
    Blog Entries
    Looks like a low rent Ferrari 488

I’d buy it

Master
    Looks a cracker with great spec.

I’d steal it.

Master
    It has to compete with so much out there, looks wise it's great, build quality can only be known once seen, but my main concern is how will it drive.
    As with most things from across the pond they aren't known for there handling etc when compared to what else is on the market in a similar price bracket.
    I had a couple of "old school" yanks and absolutely loved them for the power and noise, and obviously for the looks, but as for handling, well best not go there.
    Hopefully this has been sorted.

I think it looks terrible but for the price there's going to be nothing like it.
    "A man of little significance"

Blog Entries
    Looks like stunning value for money. Might embarrass a few european offerings too!
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Tangentially, and since this is a car thread, I was in Sainsbury's, Doncaster, last week. Parked to one side away from the masses was an Aston Martin. Not sure what model because it had it's back end facing out, but the sheer visible quality of design, its beauty, but every one of the hundred other cars there to shame. Low and sleek, curvy yet angular in places. I was being pressed to move on so I couldn't study it for more than a few moments but I so much wanted it...

Master
    The new Corvette looks great in pictures, I just hope the build quality is good.

Were I in that market it looks much better than the TVR Griffith (if that ever comes to fruition)

It's American, so build quality and handling, either or both will be its Achilles heel.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a2...ze-comparison/
    Last edited by number2; 20th July 2019 at 15:45.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Unfortunately it looks like a Ferrari F430, Probably amazing value £ for performance.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    It's American, so build quality and handling, either or both will be its Achilles heel.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a2...ze-comparison/
    If the new Mustang is anything to go by it may not have either problem.

Certainly looks the part and would seem to have the performance but as other have said IF we get it it will be way more expensive. The new Mustang is just a bit on the pricey side considering what it’s competing with. The only way I would consider one is it is significantly cheaper than its rivals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard View Post
    Will probably be £80k if they come to the UK
    More than that I suspect. Corvette named or not, I bet it's a cracker to drive though.

Master
    At this money I'd look at the Evora 400/410.

Interesting reflection on the position of vehicle design in the US. Why are they re-using the Corvette name? Vette = engine at the front, massive bonnet, dude (essentially) at the back. It looks vaguely reminiscent of many similar designs we've seen before, coming out how many years ago? Fossil-fuel powered. It's hardly imaginative and cutting edge. What's to commend it, the price? Anybody want a cheap 737 max?

Master
    From that article, this passage doesn’t look good. Suggests that it is being designed to be quick off the lights in a straight line. I know corvettes have improved their handling significantly, but this could be a backward step

Quote Originally Posted by from Car and Driver
    Chevy also hasn't yet divulged the C8's weight distribution, but on the collection of mid-engined cars above, it ranges from 56.5 percent of the vehicle's weight on the rear axle (Cayman) to 59.3 percent (Ford GT). The C7 has a slight rear-weight bias, but the C8 will carry significantly more of its mass on the rear axle.

That's precisely the point. That rear-weight bias allows the C8 to hook up better than ever. Combined with the rapid-shifting dual-clutch automatic with a proper launch-control function and the additional horsepower from the revised 6.2-liter LT2 V-8 that's now making as much as 495 hp and 470 lb-ft of torque, Chevy promises that models equipped with the Z51 performance package will be able to hit 60 mph in less than three seconds.

It's quick, big and heavy, not usually a great combination for cornering although mid-engine should help, further more the cockpit doesn't appear conducive to a bit of late night hubba hubba.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mtagrant View Post
    From that article, this passage doesn’t look good. Suggests that it is being designed to be quick off the lights in a straight line. I know corvettes have improved their handling significantly, but this could be a backward step
    Generally Americans prefer straight drag racing to hurtling around bends, so probably wouldn’t worry most.

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    Generally Americans prefer straight drag racing to hurtling around bends, so probably wouldn’t worry most.
    We have had this C7 since picking it up from the factory in Bowling Green 2014.
    Handling is much better than most of the cars we drive and if you have driven Ferrari's then you will be very happy with this handling wise at a fraction of tme price. Build quality is exceptional and we have had a trouble free 24k milled in ours. Currently around 20 to 24mpg and when the C8 comes to blighty thou can't go far wrong if you buy one.
    Answering somebody that said it shouldn't be called Corvette... GM owns the factory where they build Corvettes and nothing else. When Ferrari change an engine configuration they don't change the (their) name of manufacturer. Look in the top gear magazine and you'll see Corvette.

Sent from my SM-J727T using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve748 View Post
    Handling is much better than most of the cars we drive and if you have driven Ferrari's then you will be very happy with this handling wise at a fraction of tme price. Build quality is exceptional and we have had a trouble free 24k milled in ours. Currently around 20 to 24mpg and when the C8 comes to blighty thou can't go far wrong if you buy one.
    Answering somebody that said it shouldn't be called Corvette... GM owns the factory where they build Corvettes and nothing else. When Ferrari change an engine configuration they don't change the (their) name of manufacturer. Look in the top gear magazine and you'll see Corvette.

Nice car! No offence meant by the 'drag racing' comments, I had a '76 Trams Am with a manual 4 speed and thought it handled ok, so I'm sure these are light years better. (I actually like American cars)

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    Of course they have a lot more straight roads than we do.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

My Speedmaster website:

http://www.freewebs.com/neil271052

Quote Originally Posted by Steve748 View Post

Nice fleet Steve!

How are you getting on in SD?
    Cheers,
    Neil.

My Speedmaster website:

http://www.freewebs.com/neil271052

Quote Originally Posted by catch21 View Post
    Interesting reflection on the position of vehicle design in the US. Why are they re-using the Corvette name? Vette = engine at the front, massive bonnet, dude (essentially) at the back. It looks vaguely reminiscent of many similar designs we've seen before, coming out how many years ago? Fossil-fuel powered. It's hardly imaginative and cutting edge. What's to commend it, the price? Anybody want a cheap 737 max?
    It's an interesting question. I don't know if legislation has or will change but front-engine sports cars are at a disadvantage to mid-engine ones in terms of styling (the bonnet has to be a certain distance above the top of the engine in case you hit a pedestrian for example) and it will certainly handle better, and probably more safely. Another factor could be the racing aspect. The 911 RSR is already mid-engine (don't ask me how that works with the rules) and so's the Ford GT, although they have announced their withdrawal from factory racing (although they'll support privateer teams). Perhaps it simply keeps them competitive. The Corvette has been racing a lot longer than pretty much anything else - one won its class at Le Mans in 1960.

It's not as if GM could kill the Corvette, which is still incredibly successful.

I did a few miles in a C6 a few years back (including some track stuff) and thoroughly enjoyed it. I think mostly because I like my front-engine, RWD cars with a bit too much power. I'm sure they'll make a huge success of it and if they can seriously undercut a load of mid-engine rivals then why not.
    "A man of little significance"

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    It's quick, big and heavy, not usually a great combination for cornering although mid-engine should help,
    Actually, it does not.
    Mid engine only holds an edge when the car is set up to be driven by soemone who can actually dríve.
    If set up for the average american lead footed driver, it will need be as understeered as an oil tanker.

The other limitation is that it needs be built at a relative budget as it is after all intended to be relatively mass produced.
    A well behaved mass produced mid engine car on a budget is not an easy proposition.
    Now, that cán be elegantly done by cleverly incorporating parts from the parts bin like Toyota has shown with three generations of MRs but since this is GM, the Pontiac Fiero springs to mind...

Lastly; big and heavy are not the things that spring to mind when you say mid engined. Bit of a contradiction in terms no?!

We´ll see how it works out on the road in the hands of red necks.
    For the moment the ´Old men rejoice; it has space for a golf bag´ does not spell ´sports car´....
    Last edited by Huertecilla; 22nd July 2019 at 16:48.

Craftsman
    Will be £72950 in the UK and will come in right hand drive. Pretty cool.

Wonder how it would compare to an Audi R8 for fun weekend driving.

Master

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by zanderpants View Post

No discussing taste.
    To mé it looks more a transformers fantasy than a spoiler special Civic RRtypERROR

Quote Originally Posted by Huertecilla View Post
    No discussing taste.
    To mé it looks more a transformers fantasy than a spoiler special Civic RRtypERROR
    From someone who thinks this is the pinnacle of engineering

Quote Originally Posted by Franky Four Fingers View Post
    From someone who thinks this is the pinnacle of engineering
    Quite - trolling at it's best.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Banned
    Blog Entries

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    Quite - trolling at it's best.
    If you can´t beat them, try insult them.

And there was me thinking that personal attacks were a booboo....

As I wrote; no discussing taste.
    Beauty is in the eye of the beholder:
    Some like the daughter, some the mother. Some both.

Looking forward to seeing a C8 on the twisty bits here :-)
    I bet it will be a slow moving road block for the locals on their mopeds even.
    But we will read/see soon enough. Although there ís a substitute for cubic inches and size does matter, maybe it is nimble, a sports car.
    I sure hope that, even if it proves to be mainly a straight line arrow, the new kid on the block has enough to rock the boat.

Quote Originally Posted by Huertecilla View Post
    No discussing taste.
    Given your broad interests, never put you as a transformerphobe P.
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

Craftsman
    I am more a Land Rover Defender man and by no means a sports car expert, but two friends let me drive their pride and joys, one owns a posh Porsche 911 and the other owns the late Corvette C6 Convertible.

I found the Corvette so much more fun, more raw, more hooligan than the too well equipped 911.
    Corvette was much more planted at 300 km/h on ze German Autobahn too.
    The C7 I dont like from the look of it, the C8 looks promising.