closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Selling for a profit on TZ - worth the abuse?

Selling for a profit on TZ - worth the abuse?

Genuine question here, not just looking to cause drama, but is it worth selling a watch for more than RRP on SC these days?

I have a quote from Chronext for a watch, seems like a fair offer but it is a fair but higher than the RRP. If I list it on SC am I just going to get clobbered with abuse and if I do what is the done thing - to offer it for the price Chronext have offered?

I know some people will say list it for £1k or £100k it's your call, market will dictate etc I just don't want the abuse if it isn't going to be worth it. Also a part of me is wondering why even bother offering it for the same price Chronext are offering when at least they won't abuse me and will just pay up? Sorry if that's greedy but it's a genuine thought.

Master
    Fiar question and seeing the way sales corner can be if you are happy with the price offered I would go with that. As you say the inevitable hassle (especially if it’s a Rolex) probably isn’t worth it.

I recently sold a SubC through watchfinder and didn't offer on here for the reasons you state. Having seen how the Rolex threads degenerate, I thought no chance.

It's a tough one - I wouldn't feel right making money on here but didn't feel that way selling to a dealer. As an example, I sold a 6 month old BLNR in November 2017 for what I paid (£6550) for the same reason, that it didn't feel right to offer higher, and at the time I saw ones crop up for around £8k (hindsight eh..). But I was happy to do so then. This time, I went with the offer from watchfinder and whilst could have offered for the same, even then it didn't feel right as was a 20% premium on what I paid.

I don't think there's anything wrong as its now how the market is but me personally, I preferred the route I took

Craftsman
    If it’s a Rolex then you’re likely to get some abuse. I’m going to be selling a few watches soon and for that reason they won’t be going on SC. Just a lot less hassle selling to Watchfinder or other greys

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Someone please think of the self appointed forum Police.

If you stop selling at profit they will stalk someone in real life, beat their wife or kick their cat.. Stop. Think. List.
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Personally I think if you offer it up for what the trade has offered you, you no reason to feel any guilt about making a profit, after all you going to get the money either way.

If the watch is a sought after Rolex, giving somebody here the opportunity to acquire a scarce watch at trade would be an honourable thing to do.

The problem with profit here on TZ-UK mainly stems from buying here and selling on for a profit elsewhere and using the forum as a cash cow, which I’m guessing is not the case here.

Whats the watch? PM the details if you would rather not say openly.

Master
    One of the “crew” will trawl your posting history and find out exactly what you paid, and how much profit is being made... he’ll go running to his pals, and the abuse will begin..

Not worth the hassle or list it just to pee them off...

I would hope that all of the people who'd complain are already on my Ignore list so it wouldn't matter.

It's not rocket surgery. List at current market value and nobody will complain unless you have very recently bought it at well below due to an undervaluation or a mate's rate and it's being taken advantage of for profit.
    I bought a Speedmaster Tintin at RRP here around three years ago, if I chose to offer it now at the going rate of £5K-£6K with a bung into the Fundraiser for the fee-free platform privilege I'd be very surprised if anyone jumped on me for it.
    That's my 2p anyway

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    I bought a Speedmaster Tintin at RRP here around three years ago, if I chose to offer it now at the going rate of £5K-£6K with a bung into the Fundraiser for the fee-free platform privilege I'd be very surprised if anyone jumped on me for it.
    That's my 2p anyway
    You need to rethink the “going” rate mate.... they start at £6k and go well north...... nice buy that.

Muggins here sold a moon to mars for silly money and no one on here wanted it....went on eBay in the end.🙁🙁

Master
    Blog Entries
    If you offer it at Chronext offer then whoever buys it will be paying trade. Nowt wrong with that, why should you offer it for less

Master
    Sell it on SC, make some money and stick a hundred in the fundraiser. Simple, literally everyone wins.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hilly10 View Post
    If you offer it at Chronext offer then whoever buys it will be paying trade. Nowt wrong with that, why should you offer it for less
    Exactly, saves the buyer having to pay the dealers profit on top once it’s at retail. Don’t get why so many people don’t understand or seem to ignore this.

I bet they wouldn’t be selling their houses for what they were purchased at.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    I think the two most important things on sc are total honesty and transparency. If you want to give the forum a chance I’d say something like:

‘I have a XYZ that I’m selling. RRP is £6,000, as they are very hard to come by they generally sell for £10,000 with ABC. I’ve contacted them and they have offered £8,000 which I’m happy to take, but before I do, I thought I’d offer it here in case anyone is looking to by one from a grey dealer. As I’ve said it’s over RRP and I have an offer so if it’s not of interest here no worries’.

Now I’m sure some won’t like that and chances are you’ll end up selling elsewhere, but if you want to give it a try here and put as much information in the post as possible, it may go okay.

I wouldn’t blame you for not wanting the hassle though.

Craftsman
    If you have a cash offer on the table take it - It's a guaranteed offer so you could be waiting a while before you get a bite on SC, and as previously mentioned the forums keyboard warriors will inevitably be looking for a pound of your flesh. No matter how well intentioned your offer the likelihood of your sales thread being the victim of the usual suspects is high.

Master
    There are two problems with the SC. The first, as mentioned above, is the self appointed police who just wade in using the rules that in their exalted opinion are fair to them and sometimes it can become abusive.

Secondly, it depends who you are. If you have upset one of them in the past, over anything at all, they will find fault in your ad just out of sheer spite, even if you are selling at a give away price. Grudges rule supreme.

They do it because they can get away it and the result is that a lot of people just stay away from the place.

I would never dream of selling on the SC in a million years.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Devonian View Post
    I think the two most important things on sc are total honesty and transparency. If you want to give the forum a chance I’d say something like:

‘I have a XYZ that I’m selling. RRP is £6,000, as they are very hard to come by they generally sell for £10,000 with ABC. I’ve contacted them and they have offered £8,000 which I’m happy to take, but before I do, I thought I’d offer it here in case anyone is looking to by one from a grey dealer. As I’ve said it’s over RRP and I have an offer so if it’s not of interest here no worries’.

Now I’m sure some won’t like that and chances are you’ll end up selling elsewhere, but if you want to give it a try here and put as much information in the post as possible, it may go okay.

I wouldn’t blame you for not wanting the hassle though.
    This. A person with genuine interest in buying rather than a desire to moan about you selling at market rate will be happy to but at WF/Blowers etc price minus a few grand.

Master
    I don’t think I got any abuse when selling my Daytona.
    I sold it a little bit cheaper than the offer I got from a dealer and made a donation to the fundraiser.

I think what everyone's saying is fair and makes sense. I did think Rolex sales threads have got a bit weird/aggressive recently but didn't realise it was a set squad. I thought as I bought the watch a few years ago at RRP it would be "worse" as I'd be making more of a profit.

To be totally transparent if I sold it for the same offer as Chronext I wouldn't contribute to the fundraiser. I would however if it went to over that I would give 10%. I think this is fair but I understand everyone is different.

I did wonder why I'd seen H+V threads for items I never saw on SC but I think these deals are probably done through the WTB section which given the circumstances makes a lot of sense.

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    I think what everyone's saying is fair and makes sense. I did think Rolex sales threads have got a bit weird/aggressive recently but didn't realise it was a set squad. I thought as I bought the watch a few years ago at RRP it would be "worse" as I'd be making more of a profit.
    Just usual suspects moaning about imaginary squad.

Master
    Blog Entries
    My 2p - I hope you do offer it in SC, you can always withdraw the sale if it starts to hang around. In your case, even if you bought it on this forum, after 2 years ownership there is no question of having taken advantage.

Master
    Why not checkout the WTB thread, always someone looking to buy avoids the special ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    It's not rocket surgery. List at current market value and nobody will complain unless you have very recently bought it at well below due to an undervaluation or a mate's rate and it's being taken advantage of for profit.
    That's my 2p anyway

Absolutely.

It's all very well some people harking on about going rate, but if you have taken advantage on the forum to obtain a watch at a good or very good price, then you should expect to be pulled up on it - so either do the right thing or accept the criticism.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    There are two problems with the SC. The first, as mentioned above, is the self appointed police who just wade in using the rules that in their exalted opinion are fair to them and sometimes it can become abusive.

Secondly, it depends who you are. If you have upset one of them in the past, over anything at all, they will find fault in your ad just out of sheer spite, even if you are selling at a give away price. Grudges rule supreme.

They do it because they can get away it and the result is that a lot of people just stay away from the place.

I would never dream of selling on the SC in a million years.
    As usual, you are well off the mark and "your" opinions are just that. Your poke at the,"self-appointed" should have some regard to the unsavory behaviors, and characters that they have outed to the forum as a whole - you dislike their interference, but completely gloss over the benefit to a anyone buying on here.

It's not usually spite - usually you will find that it is a reminder of past behaviour, and newer members I am sure would be glad of being put in the picture - especially in regard to some of the lies, deceit and misdirection of a small number of the forum members who cant help themselves with their tales on their sales.

As above - don't like it, then don't use it - or grow a thicker skin!
    It's just a matter of time...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    Absolutely.

It's all very well some people harking on about going rate, but if you have taken advantage on the forum to obtain a watch at a good or very good price, then you should expect to be pulled up on it - so either do the right thing or accept the criticism.

As usual, you are well off the mark and "your" opinions are just that. Your poke at the,"self-appointed" should have some regard to the unsavory behaviors, and characters that they have outed to the forum as a whole - you dislike their interference, but completely gloss over the benefit to a anyone buying on here.

It's not usually spite - usually you will find that it is a reminder of past behaviour, and newer members I am sure would be glad of being put in the picture - especially in regard to some of the lies, deceit and misdirection of a small number of the forum members who cant help themselves with their tales on their sales.

As above - don't like it, then don't use it - or grow a thicker skin!
    That load of old waffle was purely your opinion.

If you think it is fine for some self appointed no mark to act as a policeman to protect the rest of us thickos from being exploited by villians, then fine.

However just accept the fact that the unsavory methods used by the self appointed police make a lot of people decide not to use the SC. Therefore less choice and less donations.

Master
    I have sold watches on SC above RRP at what I have been quoted as ‘trade’ money also making donations to the fundraiser.

I’ve had the odd snide comment but generally it’s been a fine experience and I have met some great TZ’ers.

As others have said, the real issue is where people hoover here and sell at a quick profit on other forums.

Master
    They will only hoover if the goods are underpriced.

The fact you think that's waffle Mick is all I need to know about you, without the ridiculous nature of some of your previous comments. I wouldn't buy a watch from you, or someone with so little regard to some small form of eitiqutte on selling, if you ever did decide to sell one!
    It's just a matter of time...

Master
    I wrote a reply to this on my phone and it's vanished .

Sell it for what you want.

However... if you bought the watch for you and it's been worn by you and it happens to have appreciated in value (yes ok all Rolex sports have appreciated in value) then no-one will bat an eyelid. You might as well list for the price offered by the dealer on the off-chance a member here is considering paying up for one and has the opportunity to cut out the middle man.

If the watch is a week old still stickered and bought clearly to flip for an immediate profit then expect abuse.
    Loads of people are doing it and it's an easy way to make a few hundred quid but it's picking the pocket of real collectors who are unable to buy a Rolex watch from a Rolex dealer at list price. On a forum full of watch collectors, with loads of people itching to work their way up the waiting lists, it goes down like a lead balloon.

Quote Originally Posted by kevkojak View Post

However... if you bought the watch for you and it's been worn by you and it happens to have appreciated in value (yes ok all Rolex sports have appreciated in value) then no-one will bat an eyelid. You might as well list for the price offered by the dealer on the off-chance a member here is considering paying up for one and has the opportunity to cut out the middle man.

If the watch is a week old still stickered and bought clearly to flip for an immediate profit then expect abuse.
    Loads of people are doing it and it's an easy way to make a few hundred quid but it's picking the pocket of real collectors who are unable to buy a Rolex watch from a Rolex dealer at list price. On a forum full of watch collectors, with loads of people itching to work their way up the waiting lists, it goes down like a lead balloon.
    The voice of sanity. It's not quantum mechanics and there's a fairly simple code of practice, despite what Micky the P seems to believe.

I guess it's a bit lame to hype up a thread and not say what it is. This isn't a stealth sales post btw.

It's a BLNR which I bought from an AD in 2015 and worn as a daily but I'm not 100% on selling. Just shocked it's worth so much and as a result tempted to cash in because if they go back down to reality I'll feel like I looked a gift horse in the mouth.

Also because it's quite a hyped watch I don't know how comfortable I am wearing wearing it anymore as stupid as that sounds, especially in London.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    The fact you think that's waffle Mick is all I need to know about you, without the ridiculous nature of some of your previous comments. I wouldn't buy a watch from you, or someone with so little regard to some small form of eitiqutte on selling, if you ever did decide to sell one!
    That's fair enough, neither of us need lose any sleep over your momentous decision.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    I guess it's a bit lame to hype up a thread and not say what it is. This isn't a stealth sales post btw.

It's a BLNR which I bought from an AD in 2015 and worn as a daily but I'm not 100% on selling. Just shocked it's worth so much and as a result tempted to cash in because if they go back down to reality I'll feel like I looked a gift horse in the mouth.

Also because it's quite a hyped watch I don't know how comfortable I am wearing wearing it anymore as stupid as that sounds, especially in London.
    You've nothing to worry about. Anyone moaning about a sale like that - of a treasured, personally owned watch thats just due for swapping in - simply has too much time on their hands (pardon the crap pun) 😉

Congratulations on making a few quid on one is all I can say. As a collector I've sunk a good 5 figures into Seiko and citizen (and lots of other...) watches and usually sell them at about a 50% loss. Haha.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by kevkojak View Post

Spot on with that.
    Also if I had a BLNR i'd be cashing in as its value is far exceeding its worth IMO.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Watchfinder dictates what a watch (Rolex/PP) is worth now, sad but true.