closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Private Car Lease - Maintenance

Craftsman

Private Car Lease - Maintenance

Hi all,

I'm currently looking at getting my first personal lease after previous having gone PCP and then onto a company car scheme. I'm aware you can pay an uplift to have maintenance (servicing, tires,etc) included in the monthly lease cost from your lease provider, however I was wondering if anyone had come across an independent maintenance provider or broker? Does such a thing exist?

I'm looking at the new Merc CLA35, I imagine the service costs will be pretty high over 3 years with an average Merc dealer service costing around £500 and some research tells me I'll probably need to change the tires 2-3 tikes.

Cheers,

John

Sent from my GM1913 using Tapatalk

Warrington, centre of the Universe and home of the Mighty Wire
    I have leased cars for many a year. My experience is the small print from the lease company will include something to the effect that the vehicle has to be serviced at a manufacturer main dealer. They can do this as they actually own the car and can specify where it is serviced.

Its different if you buy the car, as then you can get it serviced wherever as long as its to the manufacturers specification and use oem parts. You will maintain the warranty lime that.

I have had 3 Mercs on lease and every one had to be serviced at Merc as part of the terms of the lease.

Stuart

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Also I only lease for 2 years 10k. That way I dont need new tyres, and only pay for the first 1 year service. I hand the car back a week or so before the second year service light is due on. Worth considering.

Stuart

^^^
    Do you mean 10k miles per year, or 10k over the 2 year lease?

I struggle to get any more than 16k miles out of my Audi tyres!

Master
    How about a service plan of some sort from the dealer, some start at basic servicing and others can include tyres and other consumables dependent on cost.?

10k per year Maysie. I usually end up around 16-18k when they go back and havent had a set of tyres yet. I had a set replaced under warranty on my last lease, a Merc GLC Coupe after 1 year though, and my current car, a Golf R Estate may need some as its a bit of a lively thing.

Stuart

Thank you. I assume the tyres need to be legal when the car is returned though under the lease agreement?

Your plan sounds like a good one and is certainly food for thought for the OP.

Yeah the tyres need to be legal. The lease agreement small print will specify what is acceptable for the lease company (as they actually own the car) in relation to wear and tear, scratches, dents etc. They usually accept a ‘reasonable’ amount of general wear and tear, for instance, in the past I have had a lease which stated a kerb mark of 1 inch in length was fine, and a scratch/mark must be under 2 inches long. If you are unfortunate and have an accident, again the vehicle should be repaired by a main dealer. If you have it repaired by a ‘lesser’ repairer, and the repair is not up to standard and found when you hand the car back, the lease company can come to you for the cost of a ‘proper’ repair. I know this as it actually happened to one of my sons lease cars. And yes, I did advise him to get it repaired by Merc, but you know what kids are like !!

Stuart

Blog Entries
    On hand back the car must be legal ie tyres, tax and MOT if applicable otherwise the collection driver will refuse to collect. My experience any servicing must be done via main dealer and in the case of MB this is usually videoed and be aware that if they spot any damage on the vid which has been rectified on inspection they can ask where the repair was done.
    Current car is on a three year so looking at a couple of services but in the past went 10K pa on a two year deal and returned just before the second one was due.I just say imagine it’s your car and treat accordingly.
    I FEEL LIKE I'M DIAGONALLY PARKED IN A PARALLEL UNIVERSE

Craftsman
    Hi all, thanks for useful responses, much appreciated.

I understand I need to get the car serviced at an authorised MB dealer, and that the company I get my lease through can provide a maintenance contract as part of my quote.

My question (probably poorly phrased) was more can you get a maintenance-only quote anywhere? I can find a couple of good deals for the CLA35, but when you add maintenance on in some circumstances it raised the monthly amount by over 50% (!?). So if I can get the lease one place, and a maintenance contract elsewhere, then I'll be looking in better shape.

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    I've leased cars for years and have never come across what you are looking for although that doesn't mean they don't exist I suppose!
    I always lease fully maintained and it's never added much to the monthly lease fee.......to be fair i usually see what's available from my usual 'man' in respect of cancelled fleet contracts and special manufacturer incentives.

Private Car Lease - Maintenance

Ok, based on what you have added OP, it would seem you have maybe 2 options. Either, go with the servicing incl cost of the lease company, or speak to your local MB dealers and see what they can provide. There may be other options but I dont know any. To be fair my MB dealer has been fine with the 3 cars I have leased and servicing has been around £200 ish from memory. That doesnt seem bad to me for basically 2 years servicing costs.

Stuart

Blog Entries
    Just to add my current MB does not have a service book everything is done via MD computer and the car’s .one finding an independent with the appropriate software could also be an issue.
    My take talk to your lease company
    I FEEL LIKE I'M DIAGONALLY PARKED IN A PARALLEL UNIVERSE

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by cinnabull View Post
    Ok, based on what you have added OP, it would seem you have maybe 2 options. Either, go with the servicing incl cost of the lease company, or speak to your local MB dealers and see what they can provide. There may be other options but I dont know any. To be fair my MB dealer has been fine with the 3 cars I have leased and servicing has been around £200 ish from memory. That doesnt seem bad to me for basically 2 years servicing costs.

Stuart

Thank you, that makes sense and I'll explore both options. I've never had a Merc before, so looked online and service costs are often said to be pretty expensive. As the CLA35 is a new model, there is not much information about - but the CLA45 has been around a while and I should think the servicing costs will be relatively similar. The 45 has a 3 year service progression of £400, £550, then somewhere in the region of £6-700 apparently. When you factor in probably a set of tires each year, then the maintenance inclusive deal looks ok at £50 a month.
    Quote Originally Posted by mart broad View Post
    Just to add my current MB does not have a service book everything is done via MD computer and the car’s .one finding an independent with the appropriate software could also be an issue.
    My take talk to your lease company
    Thanks, I'm definitely not looking to use an Indy - as stated above all personal leases tend to stipulate using a main dealer for servicing and repairs in the contract. My Evoque is currently the same - they've switched to computerised service stamps.

Master
    Worth checking with the lease company re servicing, as a growing number of the bigger players are moving to using non main dealer servicing.

Tyres a few like there to be 2mm of tread or above remaining as that's the level most of the bigger players change at on a maintained lease.

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Check the terms of the lease. Was cheaper for me to pay the fine ( around £150), than do a service.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Nudlar View Post
    Check the terms of the lease. Was cheaper for me to pay the fine ( around £150), than do a service.
    Haha this is an excellent suggestion, very shrewd! I like that. Thank you!

Master
    My last two went back month before second service due no costs incurred.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Nudlar View Post
    £150 is probably more than enough to cover the difference in what the car will make at auction with/without service when they sell it on.