closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Back from the Mega

Back from the Mega

Having hit 50 this year, and having got back into mountain biking last year, I decided to take on the Megavalanche DH race in Alpe D Huez.
    Its not renowned for its forgiving nature.

I am pleased to say I am back safe, but not wholly sound.

A small crash down a 20ft rocky dropoff whilst practising the qualifier last Tuesday resulted in a very sore shoulder.
    Painkillers and strapping got me through the rest of the week, inc qualifying on Friday and the 22KM race from 3300m to 730m on Saturday.

Time was not quick, at 2.02hrs but the intention was only ever to get from start to finish.
    Drove home Sunday with a stopover and arrived home Monday evening.

The lump and bruising around my shoulder and chest had got somewhat worse, so I thought it would be prudent to get it checked out.

Turns out
    I had sheared and displaced my collarbone, so now awaiting surgery for it to be scewed and plated.

Family Holiday at the end of the month is now cancelled, my Wife is decidedly miffed with me, and would be more so if she knew we were already planning next years trip..

Master
    wow, what bike did you do it on?

Took my Intense Carbine and my Orange Stage 6.
    Ended up riding the Stage 6 most of the time inc the qualifier and the actual race, it was just better suited to the changing terrain and my riding style.

Though both performed brilliantly.

Only had one mechanical all week and that was caused by a bent tooth on the chainring.. crossed the line with my rear mech stuck up and the chain flapping about...glad I didn't back pedal!!!

The Intense is now going to be broken up and the frame sold to a friend.