closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Omega SeaMaster 2018

Omega SeaMaster 2018

Any owners here that could comment on the pluses and minuses of this watch?

I’ve watched quite a few YouTube vids, and the other day I tried one on and was quite smitten with it, wore beautifully on my 6.75” wrist. In all honesty have never spent as much on a watch as one of these would cost, but 40th bday is approaching fast (January) and I’m edging towards treating myself to one.

Any thoughts? Pro’s & con’s? Value the opinion of folk on here which is why I’m asking.

Cheers👍

Master
    not sure how long new examples will still be available as it has been upgraded, but get one on sale and its a bargain i think. great watch.

Which model Seamaster are you actually referring to?
    It's just a matter of time...

Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    Which model Seamaster are you actually referring to?
    Sorry, probably not specific enough; I mean the newest model, with the upgraded movement and ceramic dial:

https://www.ernestjones.co.uk/websto...iABEgLqbvD_BwE

Master
    Ahh right the latest version. I think it's a great watch. Not much to choose between the SMP and the PO except a chunk of price difference! I'd like a blue one myself.

Master
    Great watch but not at RRP

At least 2 have sold on SC for under £3000 and that's all i would want to pay.

If you can get 20% off a new one then maybe buy new.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mjc1216 View Post
    Great watch but not at RRP

At least 2 have sold on SC for under £3000 and that's all i would want to pay.

If you can get 20% off a new one then maybe buy new.
    And generally around £2.6k

Craftsman
    I've recently picked up an Omega seamaster of here and so far I'm very impressed, it's surpassed my expectations. Prior to ownership I had been critical of the wave dial pattern but have to admit I was wrong and it really adds to the watch with the way it catches the light etc.

think the ones that sold on SC were pretty close to the Omega price increase so were probably slightly undervalued. The watch with circa 20% off (£3176) with a full 5 year warranty would be a good buy imo.

Very nice watch. I like the bracelet update features, but it is more square than my older SMP's. Personally, I prefer the gloss dial of the previous model, or the wave dials of the older models. In the blue I think they've now got the colour right again, as it was a little off for me on the gloss dial version. Im not convinced it needed the 8500 derived movement, but a lot of people will be happy that the SMP 300m diver now has it - no doubt a very good movement in any case, and very accurate in my other Omega watches.

Quite sobering, as I now have more Seamasters in the collection than any other Brand or range by a brand!

Master
    Has anybody here had the latest SMP in blue and a blue Tudor pelagos? I am drawn to these 2 currently and would be interested in any views between them.

Quote Originally Posted by davidj54 View Post
    Any owners here that could comment on the pluses and minuses of this watch?

I’ve watched quite a few YouTube vids, and the other day I tried one on and was quite smitten with it, wore beautifully on my 6.75” wrist. In all honesty have never spent as much on a watch as one of these would cost, but 40th bday is approaching fast (January) and I’m edging towards treating myself to one.

Any thoughts? Pro’s & con’s? Value the opinion of folk on here which is why I’m asking.

Cheers
    Brilliant watches these. I have one. I think as far as bang for the buck is concerned there aren’t much better value propositions out there. A lot is made about the size increase from the last model but I have a smallish wrist and find it wears fine.

I have the blue one myself. Adjustable clasp, great accurate movement and a stunning dial. That’s pretty much all the key boxes ticked for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your pic does make the bezel look bigger than your Planet Ocean - nice trio. In pleased they've got the blue right again. It's a pet hate on the previous model for me.

Master
    Your pic does make the bezel look bigger than your Planet Ocean - nice trio. In pleased they've got the blue right again. It's a pet hate on the previous model for me.

the PO bezel has a silvery ring on the inner edge which makes smaller visually, the older PO (pictured) has a particularly thick silvery ring.

Craftsman
    There’s a used one here for just under £3k. 4 months old and I believe they come with a 4 (or is it 5) years guarantee. Could always make an offer too.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/233219667295

Quote Originally Posted by LondonNeil View Post
    the PO bezel has a silvery ring on the inner edge which makes smaller visually, the older PO (pictured) has a particularly thick silvery ring.
    Yes, I have the 42mm 2500D version, and an 8500 45mm version - the older one has the inner silver on the bezel, even on the orange bezel version.

Quote Originally Posted by Motman View Post
    There’s a used one here for just under £3k. 4 months old and I believe they come with a 4 (or is it 5) years guarantee. Could always make an offer too.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/233219667295
    5 years on all new Omega watches.

Master
    Yes, I have the 42mm 2500D version, and an 8500 45mm version - the older one has the inner silver on the bezel, even on the orange bezel version.

5 years on all new Omega watches.
    I have the 8500 equipped 41.5mm PO, love it. had it 6.5 years and wear it almost non stop. I currently fancy a more 'fun' weekend watch and am considering the blue SMP. also like the blue tudor pelagos.

42mm 8500 PO here. Probably my favorite watch if truth be known. Great quality!size and aesthetic. I alternate it with a Tudor GMT and have a fair number of others including Sub, GMT EXP2 etc. Still think it is a stonking watch if bought at the usual discounts,

Sent from my BBF100-1 using Tapatalk

Master
    I popped quickly into Goldsmiths on Victoria street today and took a close look at the new seamaster diver 300m/SMP or what ever its called. As said I'm a fan of Omega and had my 41.5mm PO on as normal so compared against that. I was interested in the blue version as i want something different and more fun than the black PO...the black SMP would be too similar. See Waser's post for the PO (except mine is the newer version) and the blue SMP...at least I think thats the blue in the photo...and that is something i noticed in the shop. The blue is dark, darker than i expected, and not far from black in some lights/angles. booo. I did find it 'pops' in that it has a high shine, but actually found this high reflection made it less legible than the PO. Not disastrously so, but..well....I've had a 36mm old style wave pattern SMP with skeleton hands before and found that legible, I'm not so sure on this new one. size wise, very PO like but slightly larger visibly. noticeably lighter on the wrist than the PO but a solid chunk, nicely so. The clasp on this has the new glidelock type thing unlike my 6.5 year old PO and the glide lock adjust was very easy to operate. The clasp itself is Mahooosive compared to the old pre glidelock clasp! wow its big. not uncomfortable though i'd guess but obviously the watch wasn't adjusted for me so can't say much. I've read people find the extra heft of the clasp balances the weight of the watch head better and I could see that maybe. rest of the bracelet i also liked. its links are thinner, flatter and more industrial looking than they used to be, less shiny, more roughly brushed. my guess is its an easier bracelet to manufacture than the POs as its links are flat but it still feels and looks nice. overall finishing on the whole watch looked great. bezel action great....scallops not as grippy as a coin edge but well....i don't actually dive so i matters not. wave pattern...hmm i liked the old one. i found i liked the new one loads in pictured but less in person. Surprised. Don't get me wrong. its a lovely watch, but having a PO i just don't think the SMP, even in Blue, is differnt enough.
    However....
    I also took a look at the blue bezel, silver dial, blue hands version and oooooo! in person that is looovely. in photos i thought that was ...mleh. in person its loooooovely. its an option. although i need to go and look at a Pelagos blue...think that might go up the list....despite being a big fan of the Omega coaxial movements.

lastly, big surprise...I asked what the price for a cash purchase was, to be told . We can't do any discount on that model.' Cough! Pardon! (i thought) 'oh, thanks' i said. weeellll, either Omega are pushing more firmly at price control or... Goldsmith's ain't getting my mulah. Ha! planning to take a look at some tudors next week with a mate then have a few beers. Pelagos and also Bronze bay...and a green bezel black bay with a big H on the case back.

Quote Originally Posted by LondonNeil View Post
    I popped quickly into Goldsmiths on Victoria street today and took a close look at the new seamaster diver 300m/SMP or what ever its called. As said I'm a fan of Omega and had my 41.5mm PO on as normal so compared against that. I was interested in the blue version as i want something different and more fun than the black PO...the black SMP would be too similar. See Waser's post for the PO (except mine is the newer version) and the blue SMP...at least I think thats the blue in the photo...and that is something i noticed in the shop. The blue is dark, darker than i expected, and not far from black in some lights/angles. booo. I did find it 'pops' in that it has a high shine, but actually found this high reflection made it less legible than the PO. Not disastrously so, but..well....I've had a 36mm old style wave pattern SMP with skeleton hands before and found that legible, I'm not so sure on this new one. size wise, very PO like but slightly larger visibly. noticeably lighter on the wrist than the PO but a solid chunk, nicely so. The clasp on this has the new glidelock type thing unlike my 6.5 year old PO and the glide lock adjust was very easy to operate. The clasp itself is Mahooosive compared to the old pre glidelock clasp! wow its big. not uncomfortable though i'd guess but obviously the watch wasn't adjusted for me so can't say much. I've read people find the extra heft of the clasp balances the weight of the watch head better and I could see that maybe. rest of the bracelet i also liked. its links are thinner, flatter and more industrial looking than they used to be, less shiny, more roughly brushed. my guess is its an easier bracelet to manufacture than the POs as its links are flat but it still feels and looks nice. overall finishing on the whole watch looked great. bezel action great....scallops not as grippy as a coin edge but well....i don't actually dive so i matters not. wave pattern...hmm i liked the old one. i found i liked the new one loads in pictured but less in person. Surprised. Don't get me wrong. its a lovely watch, but having a PO i just don't think the SMP, even in Blue, is differnt enough.
    However....
    I also took a look at the blue bezel, silver dial, blue hands version and oooooo! in person that is looovely. in photos i thought that was ...mleh. in person its loooooovely. its an option. although i need to go and look at a Pelagos blue...think that might go up the list....despite being a big fan of the Omega coaxial movements.

lastly, big surprise...I asked what the price for a cash purchase was, to be told . We can't do any discount on that model.' Cough! Pardon! (i thought) 'oh, thanks' i said. weeellll, either Omega are pushing more firmly at price control or... Goldsmith's ain't getting my mulah. Ha! planning to take a look at some tudors next week with a mate then have a few beers. Pelagos and also Bronze bay...and a green bezel black bay with a big H on the case back.
    The blue dial is actually quite light coloured in natural light. Shop lights don’t really do it justice imo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    I thought that. I've seen a youtube review where it looks almost baby blue and said to the sales assistant that i expect it changes colour loads in different lights but obviously i wasn't going to step outside with it. The lighting in the shop seemed dull and poor....not set up to make stuff sparkle and pop as many jewellers are. However, if it seemed dark and almost black in the shop, i probably would in the office, the house, the pub, sainsbury, and so on.

Craftsman

In response to the question re colour of the blue version, you can see from my pics that it changes considerably in different lighting conditions

Personally, I would recommend this watch to anyone who likes dive style watches.

The ceramic dial and bezel are superb, as are the larger hour markers on the dial. The build quality is excellent throughout and for someone who has never really loved skeleton hands these are much better and improved legibility wise due to an increase in size. There’s a great movement in it and the new bracelet is miles better imo than previous versions.

The only nitpick I have is that the lume is not as good as my PO 2500, although that one is like going to bed with a torch on my wrist

I’ve had the SMP since February and the total amount it’s been off my wrist in that time is about 20 days and this is very unusual as I love my Doxa Sub and it just doesn’t get worn much

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    I hate that helium escape valve, would put me off ever buying one :(

Master
    This watch looks far better in the flesh than pictures depict.

Omega have done a very good job on updating the SMP 300M and I think this version looks much better than the original ceramic version with the glossy dial. The new movement is the icing on the cake.

I have the original wavy dial version in quartz and love it. It gets much more wrist time than my Submariner.

Perhaps I am alone in wishing Omega still made quartz versions of their Seamaster range?

Master
    Thanks jimmer42, your photos really show the colour change! The 2nd photo is a lovely rich royal blue but the first and third don't look the same watch and I'd swear were black.

Yep and the skeleton hands and the wavy dial and the red tipped seconds hand and the non-grip bezel and the date at twelve and the bracelet.
    Quote Originally Posted by lostp View Post
    I hate that helium escape valve, would put me off ever buying one :(
    David
    Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations

Blog Entries
    I have the blue one and it's a great watch, good looking and great movement. And brilliant value for the price point imo.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.