closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Watching all of Netflix in 30days

Watching all of Netflix in 30days

I've just started a 30day free trial of Netflix. We're not going to keep it as we already have Amazon Prime and (without comparing the pros/cons of the two) we're going to stick with that and can't justify both.

So... what should we watch?
    Primarily 'boxsets' and films.

Master
    I find it pretty good for documentaries, however, I will be cancelling soon as there's not that much new coming through unless you're into their own series Boxsets.

Dave letterman series is a good one. Very interesting.

Dirty money is also really good.

Stranger Things is the obvious one but I'd also recommend :

Mindhunter
    Happy
    The Alienist
    Godless
    Russian Doll
    The Sinner
    The Good Place
    Birdbox
    I Am Mother

Stranger Things is a must.

The Crown was very good.

The Assassination of Gianni Versace was good and iconic as a series in a way.

First 2 or 3 series of House of Cards.

Blog Entries
    I'll add to that....

Ozark (s1,2)
    Breaking Bad (S1-5, if you haven't seen it already)
    Better Call Saul (S1-4, ditto)
    Daredevil (s1,2,3)
    Punisher (s1,2)
    When They Saw Us

Probably loads more TBH.......even watching 24/7, I doubt you'd get through that lot in 30 days! Good Luck!

Cuba and the Cameraman
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

Journeyman
    [agree

QUOTE=vagabond;5152078]I'll add to that....

Ozark (s1,2)
    Breaking Bad (S1-5, if you haven't seen it already)
    Better Call Saul (S1-4, ditto)
    Daredevil (s1,2,3)
    Punisher (s1,2)
    When They Saw Us

Probably loads more TBH.......even watching 24/7, I doubt you'd get through that lot in 30 days! Good Luck! [/QUOTE]

Need to multitask - TV + laptop + tablet etc.

Craftsman
    I'm getting rid of it soon, I've heard nothing but how good it is but actually my local video shop would have had more films.

Also what's with taking off earlier seasons of shows? What if you come late to the party like me?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    Cuba and the Cameraman

This is a marvellous film, recommended to me by Mr Curta.
    F.T.F.A.

The OA
    Anthony Bourdain
    Breaking bad

I find it way better than prime and often find good movies by not looking at the recommended ones as it often misses some hidden gems. A quick look at newonnetflix.com and I’ll usually find something.

Though people’s tastes obviously differ.

Warrington, centre of the Universe and home of the Mighty Wire
    I found Power to be addictive. Deffo one of the better Box Sets. Narcos is also another top set, along with Bloodlines,

Stuart

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Journeyman
    Power is pretty good alright.

Bloodline starts good but gets tedious.

The marvel stuff is all superb, as is breaking bad.

Craftsman
    Defo Ozark!

Lillehammer is fun... first netflix original made i think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master

Watching all of Netflix in 30days

^^^ had forgotten all about that. Really enjoyed it when we first got Netflix many moons ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks all.
    I'd forgotten about Breaking Bad - that was one I wanted to watch when it was out first time so I'll start there (and move on to Call Saul).
    After that I'll pop back and look at the suggestions above.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by MakeColdplayHistory View Post
    Thanks all.
    I'd forgotten about Breaking Bad - that was one I wanted to watch when it was out first time so I'll start there (and move on to Call Saul).
    After that I'll pop back and look at the suggestions above.
    You'll do well to watch those in 30 days!

Journeyman
    Would recommend The Expanse and Love, Death & Robots

Craftsman
    Designated Survivor is ok

Money Heist is good if you can stand the dubbing over Spanish.

Narcos was excellant.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by casbar View Post
    Designated Survivor is ok

Money Heist is good if you can stand the dubbing over Spanish.

Narcos was excellant.

Ah good point, completely forgot about Money Heist. My missus (who's notoriously a pain to watch tv shows with) actually loves to watch this one with me
    Last edited by Darklel; 23rd July 2019 at 15:14. Reason: typo

Master
    Narcos and El Chapo if you're into that sort of criminal biopics.

It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, Brooklyn 99, Arrested Development and The IT Crowd if you like comedy.

The Punisher is excellent if you like action (also Daredevil which is supposed to be the prequel to the story in Punisher, but I found it quite hard to stick with for some reason).

Blog Entries
    Talking of amazon prime, had an email yesterday to say that as of late September, Sony smart TVs will no longer support the prime TV app and so they've offered us £20 off a Fire Stick with voice control (effectively half price). Quite open to that idea, especially with some of the other benefits that could bring. Question is though, how easy is it to hard wire it into the router via ethernet? This is the only practical way I can see to avoid unsightly wires with a wall mounted unit. I know I could use the TV USB port to power the stick potentially but I feel unit is too close to the wall to be able to fiddle my way around it.

Master
    Black mirror

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by MrSmith View Post
    The OA
    Anthony Bourdain
    Breaking bad

I find it way better than prime and often find good movies by not looking at the recommended ones as it often misses some hidden gems. A quick look at newonnetflix.com and I’ll usually find something.

Though people’s tastes obviously differ.
    Anthony Bourdain no longer there. Annoying.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Irish boy View Post
    Power is pretty good alright.

Bloodline starts good but gets tedious.

The marvel stuff is all superb, as is breaking bad.
    Someone has forgotten Iron Fist! I loved Daredevil and Punisher but the rest feel a bit hit and miss. I just about limped through series 1 of Jessica Jones but found series 2 unwatchable, and gave up on Luke Cage in series 1.
    The Defenders, which brought together all of the above characters bar The Punisher, was exceptional.

Anyway, I can't build on the suggestions offered. I had a great time ploughing through Breaking Bad, Saul, Sons of Anarchy and a couple of others. Currently halfway through Gotham, which for some reason never interested me when it started airing and now I'm hooked.
    Probably for the best - binge watching instead of waiting for a weekly installment and endless breaks suits me.

Ozark

ITs mentioned briefly - I don't do box sets - but this one - well...... I couldn't leave it

Master

Exclamation

After Life

Ricky Gervais comedy (dark) is excellent IMO, sat there and watched the whole lot the other night. Very amusing.

Quote Originally Posted by asteclaru View Post
    Narcos and El Chapo if you're into that sort of criminal biopics.

It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, Brooklyn 99, Arrested Development and The IT Crowd if you like comedy.

The Punisher is excellent if you like action (also Daredevil which is supposed to be the prequel to the story in Punisher, but I found it quite hard to stick with for some reason).
    Enjoying Narcos.

The only ‘problem’ with Netflix for me is I’m a bit of an all or nothing kind of person and it’s a terrible thing to have in some ways. I’d decided to potter at home for a couple of days with the heat and finding that Narcos on Netflix wasn’t helpful haha. I think I had to force myself to turn it off at 23:30 last night... that was after sitting down at 11:30am to watch the first episode! Jesus it’s like 10 or so episodes and 3 series!

Top Boy (watch both series now in prep for series 3 in autumn)

Quote Originally Posted by BSB View Post
    Talking of amazon prime, had an email yesterday to say that as of late September, Sony smart TVs will no longer support the prime TV app and so they've offered us £20 off a Fire Stick with voice control (effectively half price). Quite open to that idea, especially with some of the other benefits that could bring. Question is though, how easy is it to hard wire it into the router via ethernet? This is the only practical way I can see to avoid unsightly wires with a wall mounted unit. I know I could use the TV USB port to power the stick potentially but I feel unit is too close to the wall to be able to fiddle my way around it.
    Not entireley sure i get what you're trying to do. The fire stick needs power via micro USB, then the firestick connects via HDMI into the back of the TV. If you keep the stick behind the TV, the only cable you need to run up the wall to it is the power usb lead. You'll never need to touch the stick to do anything, so no issue hiding it away behind the TV.

You can in theroy power the firestick by a usb off the tv itself, but that is apparently not recommended and tv usb's dont carry enough juice, it would be a wire free solution though.

You can hard wire the firestick to your router using
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Amazon-Ethe...gateway&sr=8-1
    That little box needs usb power and an ethernet cable, then a short usb cable to the firestick. if you keep both bits behind the tv, you need to run power and ethernet up the wall, if you keep both near your router, you'll need a HDMI extension and run that up the wall, if you keep the firestick behind the tv and the adaptor near the router, you'll need a usb extension and run that up the wall. not sure there's anything to gain either way in terms of reducing wiring. The only benefit any of that would give is to have a hard wired signal rather than wifi

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brighty View Post
    Not entireley sure i get what you're trying to do. The fire stick needs power via micro USB, then the firestick connects via HDMI into the back of the TV. If you keep the stick behind the TV, the only cable you need to run up the wall to it is the power usb lead. You'll never need to touch the stick to do anything, so no issue hiding it away behind the TV.

You can in theroy power the firestick by a usb off the tv itself, but that is apparently not recommended and tv usb's dont carry enough juice, it would be a wire free solution though.

You can hard wire the firestick to your router using
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Amazon-Ethe...gateway&sr=8-1
    That little box needs usb power and an ethernet cable, then a short usb cable to the firestick. if you keep both bits behind the tv, you need to run power and ethernet up the wall, if you keep both near your router, you'll need a HDMI extension and run that up the wall, if you keep the firestick behind the tv and the adaptor near the router, you'll need a usb extension and run that up the wall. not sure there's anything to gain either way in terms of reducing wiring. The only benefit any of that would give is to have a hard wired signal rather than wifi
    Hi

Many thanks for taking the time to reply. I hadn't fully understood what the hard wiring to the router actually meant as I thought somehow, the stick would be plugged or connected there instead of into the TV and then a signal would miraculously 'wi-fi' its way to the TV and mean there would be no wires showing anywhere on the wall but, it seems it has to have an HDMI connection directly with the TV in all circumstances. We have a cable conduit running behind the wall but sadly, I think the TV is going to be too much of a pain in the posterior to move enough to enable any more cables to be fed through it. I think I might have to move the Amazon Prime viewing to one of the other TVs where the missus needn't get bent out of shape about cables. Thank you very much for trying to help.

Quote Originally Posted by Brighty View Post

That's exactly how the one in my bedroom is installed - has worked flawlessly like that for the last two or more years.

I have netflix and prime on that TV as alongside streaming from youtube there's then always something that will keep the children amused for half an hour.

We got Netflix for Stranger Things and the comedy specials - seems these days there is more money in it for a Stand Up comedian to do a Netflix Special than there is release their own DVD. Plenty of Stand up on Netflix that you can't get (easily) anywhere else...

Quote Originally Posted by asteclaru View Post
    The Punisher is excellent if you like action
    But only if you like it in small doses and spaced out by glacial hours of nothing happening...

I tried really, really, really hard to like this series, but it's slower than The Handmaid's Tale!

When I read people praising The Punisher, I wonder if I've been watching something else...

M