closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: A lucky find...

A lucky find...

At a recent classic car auction I stumbled across this and though it was a rather nice print. On further examination, it seems to be an original ink drawing.

Master
    Nice, the merlin presumably and presumably prepared for flight magazine. Is it signed?

Quote Originally Posted by notnowkato View Post
    At a recent classic car auction I stumbled across this and though it was a rather nice print. On further examination, it seems to be an original ink drawing.

Wow. I'm assuming that is a Merlin engine?
    So clever my foot fell off.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy67 View Post
    Nice, the merlin presumably and presumably prepared for flight magazine. Is it signed?
    Yes, By Max Millar, who seems to be quite a well known exponent of this sort of thing. sadly now long dead.

Master
    Great find

I have a Max Millar from Autocar's archive sale back in the early 2000s, cost me a tenner for a lovely cutaway of a 1930ish Morris.

Autocar and Motor and it seems other magazines used cutaway artists to do this sort of thing, I believe they took a couple of weeks each to complete. They're really lovely things, incredibly detailed and to scale and correct perspective.

What a great find!
    "A man of little significance"

If you wanna sell it ;)

No, that is a lovely find - looks great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fantastic find
    I have a book full of his drawings from Flight and Aeroplane
    It’s a one of my favourite bog books.

Where used?

A little googling brings up this edition of Flight from February 1942 where the image appears as part of an article on the new Merlin XX engine: https://www.flightglobal.com/pdfarch...0-%200451.html

Check carefully to see if it what you have is really an original as Flight has sold large size prints for many years and I imagine the original would have been drawn on vellum.

Quote Originally Posted by Stuartbaker104 View Post
    A little googling brings up this edition of Flight from February 1942 where the image appears as part of an article on the new Merlin XX engine: https://www.flightglobal.com/pdfarch...0-%200451.html

Check carefully to see if it what you have is really an original as Flight has sold large size prints for many years and I imagine the original would have been drawn on vellum.
    Thanks for the response. On cleaning the glass frame I noticed traces of where the lettering had been originally and temporarily written in pencil and then erased once the ink text had been added. This reminded me of how I was trained to do working drawings in my engineering training in the mid 70s and lead me to think it may be an original. Other small hand added, to my eye, corrections seem to support my feeling. Anyways, it is a fine thing.

Lovely drawing and great talking point.
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

Blog Entries
    In a way, this is really Modern Art! Apart from being a talented painter, one has to be technically talented as well!

Funny thing is that I watched a National Geographic (?) documentary last week about Rolls-Royce and the Merlin 1 engine, including the 'Miss Shilling's orifice' update on the engine! The engine on the pic is not he Merlin 1.

Menno