closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Older Range Rover - Any Knowledge on here

Older Range Rover - Any Knowledge on here

I'm possibly going to look at a 2000 Range Rover 2.5 DSE P38, it's a bit of an old bus, anything I need to be looking hard at?
    It has had the rear coil conversion done, mileage is just over 100k looks tidy (on the pictures) full MOT etc.

I have had a few 4 x 4 over the years, I own a 1980 two door RR that my brother and I converted to do competitive off road trials (it's in a horse box now not seen it in years)

Any info would be appreciated.

I head over to LandyZone: https://www.landyzone.co.uk/forum/
    They were very helpful when I had a Discovery of a similar vintage, mostly pointing out all the stuff I should have known before I bought it.

I ran a 96 plate v8 as a second car for years. Miss the old girl, was a great workhorse.
    Most common problems are with the air suspension (the bags, sensors & the compressor) but obviously not a problem if converted. I stuck with them though, as was a lovely ride when all working correctly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Last of the classic British designs. Wouldn't mind one myself one day.

I think these had the BMW 2.5 l lump so no real problems check turbo ect

At least you wont have to take the body off to replace it !

I have never owned one but have wanted to , I researched which engine and a lot of people online say the diesel engine is a bit gutless and you would be better getting the 4.0 /4.2 . These are known for headgaskets as most people run them with Gas conversion

Master
    Blog Entries
    FrankieFourFingers is the guy for real advice.
    All I'll say is that the 2.5 is painfully slow to pull out of junctions.
    Also, it'll break a lot and parts of trim will drop off at will.

If you're looking for a cheap but dependable load lugger, look elsewhere (Hilux Surf).
    For a bit of fun, RR all the way but get a V8.

Quote Originally Posted by Robbo12 View Post
    I think these had the BMW 2.5 l lump so no real problems check turbo ect

At least you wont have to take the body off to replace it !

I have never owned one but have wanted to , I researched which engine and a lot of people online say the diesel engine is a bit gutless and you would be better getting the 4.0 /4.2 . These are known for headgaskets as most people run them with Gas conversion
    Yes it has the BMW engine, it has apparently been chipped for better performance and improved MPG

Master
    Make sure the electrics work, all of them, and then check them again. HVAC has a real habit of going awol on P38s. The air suspension is a pain at times but swopping to coils is sacrilege, it won't self level and the ride is worse. At least the p38 has the compressor where you can get to it under the bonnet.
    They are nice cars when all is working but they don't have the best reputation in the RR range and that's saying something.
    FFF is indeed the chap to ask, and he's just bought one although it is a proper 4.6v8!

To be honest I think you guys have it virtually all covered.

The 2.5 BMW lump is a slug of a thing and pulling out of junctions can be a bit hairy.
    Chassis's are always good on these which is a plus, so everything else really is just nuts and bolts.
    As David said the Hevac (climate control) can be problematic, the LCD displays generally fail and are rare to get hold of. Blend motors and temp sensors on the climate all very common but no real major issue to fix. Air suspension again an issue but ordinarily just springs and compressors fail. If you're really unlucky the valve driver can fail which will cost you a lot more. If you've had the conversion then obviously dont have to worry about that. Engines, gearbox, transfer box and axles all reasonably reliable.
    Check the Brake pipes across the rear axle you may be unlucky and they haven't been replaced....this can be costly and time consuming job. Check front hubs upper and lower ball joints again very common and a bit of a tit swinger to replace. All in all not a bad car if you buy right compared to some other models.

Thanks for the replies gents, What denotes a P38 I have read about it being something to do with the office design building, is it just the body style? to what year were they in production ?

FFF,
    There is apparently an issue with the AC side of things, said it needs re-gassing which I read as potential leak on the system, would this be a deal breaker ? I could
    live with no AC, just about every old motor I have bought had the same issue.

Interesting to know about this engine being a slug from pulling away, I would have to speak with the owner regarding the so called it's been chipped for better performance, not sure what that actually achieves.

Quote Originally Posted by geran View Post
    Thanks for the replies gents, What denotes a P38 I have read about it being something to do with the office design building, is it just the body style? to what year were they in production ?

FFF,
    There is apparently an issue with the AC side of things, said it needs re-gassing which I read as potential leak on the system, would this be a deal breaker ? I could
    live with no AC, just about every old motor I have bought had the same issue.

Interesting to know about this engine being a slug from pulling away, I would have to speak with the owner regarding the so called it's been chipped for better performance, not sure what that actually achieves.
    Any AC system can leak from virtually anywhere, condensers and pipework being the most common places. Climate on these vehicles can fault from a varied amount of reasons leaks being one of them. On the Hevac panel check to see if you have an open book symbol showing-if so this indicates an AC issue which would have to be investigated. Temperature blend motor faults are very common along with the heater core temp sensor issues.
    All easily fixable but can be costly.

I've owned the P38 now since August last year, as with most old motors the more you look the more you find, the list kept getting longer.

The blend motors were stuck, but I sorted this without having to replace them, just needed a wiring diagram, bit of cable and a 9v battery, touch wood been ok since, with heating / cooling working on both sides, there were a lot of silly bits and bats that needed sorting on the way.
    I have a folder full of service records, receipts etc, it had been very well looked after over the years, let down by the last couple of owners.

It started leaking into the head lining a month or so back, assumed it was sunroof related, but all was dry in there, drain off's were clear not blocked, the paper work showed it had a new front screen some years ago, so that's where I looked next, after removing part of the upper trim on the glass, and removing the plastic roof rack trim, the picture shows what was it was like, just constantly holding water, found a couple of suspect areas in the bonding to the glass, cleaned up and resealed, nothing but wind and ran for the last three weeks, and still dry

These motors are prone to other areas allowing water ingress around the pollen filter housing, this had been addressed by others previously. last owner used to park it under a tree, I found a lot of debris in the water drain off channels that had to be cleaned out.
    In all it's a great motor and gets a good run out every weekend in all weathers.

Last edited by geran; 23rd February 2020 at 12:36.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Franky Four Fingers View Post
    To be honest I think you guys have it virtually all covered.

The 2.5 BMW lump is a slug of a thing and pulling out of junctions can be a bit hairy.
    Just had a look at these, 0-60 slower than a 1.1 Panda, didn’t realise they were that sluggish!