closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Car crash - Who's in the wrong?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Nigel306 View Post
    I can't get over the post where you said you didn't overtake him and carried on driving at 30mph.
    That must have meant he was trying to do the manoeuvre at 30mph, which would have been impossible. His brake lights must have come on at some stage?
    I didn't see his brake lights come on at all. As mentioned his car gradually slipped off to the left as if he was going down the slip road.
    The position of the car shows I did not over take, he pulled in front of my with a few metre to spare. My car locked up and skidded in to his.

In regards to the road being a single carriage way, you are correct but the road prior to this junction opens up to the point where you can comfortably have two cars side by side. The left side often gets blocked in peak hours as it leads you to a high street and it allows the traffic on the right to continue. His car clearly went that way, I continued straight with the road straight ahead clear, I didn't need to swerve and by no means was tail gating. I was just normally driving behind him at 30mph.

My car has been for an inspection and hopefully booked in for repair next week so everything seems to be going ok.

Quote Originally Posted by GC2012 View Post
    I didn't see his brake lights come on at all. As mentioned his car gradually slipped off to the left as if he was going down the slip road.
    The position of the car shows I did not over take, he pulled in front of my with a few metre to spare. My car locked up and skidded in to his.

In regards to the road being a single carriage way, you are correct but the road prior to this junction opens up to the point where you can comfortably have two cars side by side. The left side often gets blocked in peak hours as it leads you to a high street and it allows the traffic on the right to continue. His car clearly went that way, I continued straight with the road straight ahead clear, I didn't need to swerve and by no means was tail gating. I was just normally driving behind him at 30mph.

My car has been for an inspection and hopefully booked in for repair next week so everything seems to be going ok.
    Single/dual carriageway isn't to do with the number of lanes on each side, it's whether or not there's something solid down the middle. In your case it looks like a dual carriageway with some gaps. I may be wrong, I don't know. It's not relevant anyway if there are no signs saying u-turns aren't allowed.
    "A man of little significance"

Quote Originally Posted by GC2012 View Post
    His car clearly went that way, I continued straight with the road straight ahead clear, I didn't need to swerve and by no means was tail gating. I was just normally driving behind him at 30mph.

So you are saying in effect he was doing 30mph or near as when he served across the front??!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by woodacre1983 View Post
    So you are saying in effect he was doing 30mph or near as when he served across the front??!

Possibly but more than likely slower. Perhaps he gradually slowed down a bit then carried out the manoeuvre which would slow him down further but he certainly didn't crawl out in front of me other wise I could have perhaps swerved to the right and avoided him. He shot out in front of me and left me with no time/room to do anything other than brake hard resulting in the car skidding in to his.

Master
    Whilst I think morally you are in the right, the insurance company may view things slightly differently. Although that is really not a good spot to pull a u-turn (very few are in my view), and it would have been far safer for him to turn right at the junction and effect a turn by using a side road that is potentially less hazardous, there are no signs stating that such a manouevre is illegal. Further, he did not turn over the chevrons, but over the 'turn right lane'. Your beef (rightly in my view) is that he positioned himself towards a 'turn left' feeder lane, and did not indicate his intentions until too late. Lastly, he did not clear his path before turning across the traffic.

Draw the same diagram and give the same description to your insurance company......then sit back and await their judgement (which will very probably be 50/50 unfortunately).

I'm a motorcyclist, so view all other road users as 'out to get me'........which appears a sensible attitude given the 'chimpish' behaviour and skills shown by a large proportion of drivers.

Best of luck.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete D View Post
    I'm a motorcyclist, so view all other road users as 'out to get me'........which appears a sensible attitude given the 'chimpish' behaviour and skills shown by a large proportion of drivers
    That’s the way I always think and I drive an Artic, there’s so many morons on the roads now that either don’t look or don’t think, the best ones are the ones that look at you and pull out in front of you thinking that 44 ton stops quickly.

IMG_3960.JPG

The guy got out for a piss and left this one on a live lane of a duel carriage was, who can tell what it started as.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master

Car crash - Who's in the wrong?

Wow......what a prat. Hope whoever hit that didn’t get injured.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app[/QUOTE]

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete D View Post
    Wow......what a prat. Hope whoever hit that didn’t get injured.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

The artic that hit it had the engine pushed back 10 inches and was written off, the second to hit it had the wheel pushed back. I saw it happen and thought they were dead but they had both got out before. Night time in the rain not the wisest place to park. It started as a 3 series estate.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by aa388 View Post
    The artic that hit it had the engine pushed back 10 inches and was written off, the second to hit it had the wheel pushed back. I saw it happen and thought they were dead but they had both got out before. Night time in the rain not the wisest place to park. It started as a 3 series estate.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app[/QUOTE]

Not nice at all.....must have been quite a shock!

Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100 View Post
    Single/dual carriageway isn't to do with the number of lanes on each side, it's whether or not there's something solid down the middle. In your case it looks like a dual carriageway with some gaps. I may be wrong, I don't know. It's not relevant anyway if there are no signs saying u-turns aren't allowed.
    I just had a look on GoogleMaps and you are right, there does not appear to be any sign stating that U-turns are not allowed at that point. If the Amarok just says he was turning into Keithlands Avenue on his statement, I suspect the OP may end up taking the full blame for the claim. Whether that is morally correct, or not.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Maysie View Post
    If the Amarok just says he was turning into Keithlands Avenue on his statement, I suspect the OP may end up taking the full blame for the claim. Whether that is morally correct, or not.
    If the Amarok driver says he was turning (right) into Keithlands Avenue, he was doing it from the wrong lane and into the path of the OP's vehicle.

Quote Originally Posted by David_D View Post
    If the Amarok driver says he was turning (right) into Keithlands Avenue, he was doing it from the wrong lane and into the path of the OP's vehicle.
    Not if he turned right from Norton Rd and the OP was behind him, also on Norton Rd.

Master
    I agree. If the VW driver had pulled over to the left, and then presented side on to the OP, he had positioned himself totally wrongly, and not cleared his mirrors before the turn. Thus, in my view, whilst the insurers may well go for 50:50, the OP was not driving without care....

Master
    'Fault' is a tricky thing with insurance... In this case I'd certainly be inclined to side with the OP but suspect it will go knock for knock. In the end though it won;t matter as the OP's insurance renewal will be effected negatively in the near future anyway due to being involved in an accident (fault or no fault they do you over anyway).
    Best tactic nowadays is, upon spotting an idiot, get a few cars between you and them so at least you have a chance when they do something mental.

Craftsman
    1. How is it right for a driver to swing left in order to make a U-turn, or any turn that involves a change in direction to the right? That counts as an unexpected manoeuvre to me. I was told this was an easy way to fail your test in the days of three tv channels.

2. That junction is a dangerous place for making a u-turn. See how we do it in VIC, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Xc4Eh7ZwaE. Surely his car would be left hanging over your lane if he had to give-way before completing the u-turn. That looks like a busy road to me, so there's no way he should have been performing a u-turn as he is relying on no traffic to impede his manoeuvre.

3. Anybody with sense would have have simply turned right into the road and doubled back.

4. Dangerous driving to me, careless at best.

Master
    I think a dash cam would prove the car 'in front' was at fault. If the driver of said car is honest and explicit then he'd be found at fault. But there's the big if. He can twist and minimise the degree to which he veered off the main road.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

There is only one lane..... if i'd have been the OP i'd have been sniffing a potential problem way before the collision, but then that's me, riding a motorcycle for 45 years makes you like that.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by steptoe View Post
    There is only one lane..... if i'd have been the OP i'd have been sniffing a potential problem way before the collision, but then that's me, riding a motorcycle for 45 years makes you like that.
    OP said “he started turning left as if he was going off the slip road but then quickly shot in front of me” so sounded like Amarok was turning right from the left (filter?) lane. I regard myself as an observant driver but sometimes idiots do things that no amount of experience or careful driving can protect you from.

[No idea what’s happened with the font!]

Master
    OP said “he started turning left as if he was going off the slip road but then quickly shot in front of me” so sounded like Amarok was turning right from the left (filter?) lane. I regard myself as an observant driver but sometimes idiots do things that no amount of experience or careful driving can protect you from.

[No idea what’s happened with the font!]
    He also mentioned that the other guy was driving like a sausage previously.
    Also you don't need 45 years on a motor bike, 2 weeks on a restricted moped teaches you to anticipate other road users actions and tunes your idiot radar right up to 11.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by julian2002 View Post
    He also mentioned that the other guy was driving like a sausage previously.
    Also you don't need 45 years on a motor bike, 2 weeks on a restricted moped teaches you to anticipate other road users actions and tunes your idiot radar right up to 11.
    He was racing away from the lights prior to this but this was a few miles further back in a quiet part of town, where we crashed there was a lot of traffic so he was just in the line of traffic doing the speed limit and driving normally.
    Pulling away from the lights quickly and doing stupid manoeuvres like he has done are unrelated really.

Either way I think this thread has been done to death now. My claim is going through and we have not heard anything from his side so hopefully all is well and the car is repaired soon.

Master
    Would you post up the conclusion, for clarity?

Looking at the picture I would say you would be at fault. Yes he drove like an idiot but at the same time how did you get up on him so quickly, even if he was actually turning left you must have been so close to him to then hit him when he turned right. He can just argue he was driving a lot and turned right and you tired to overtake him.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MCFastybloke View Post
    Would you post up the conclusion, for clarity?
    I doubt there will ever be a detailed conclusion, not for a minor traffic collision like this one.

I expect it will be something like ‘my car has been repaired, and the insurance company agreed joint liability so I lost a couple of years no claims for the claim’.

This one will be lost in the thousands of claims ongoing at any point in time.

1so I lost a couple of years no claims for the claim’ I d be interested if the op accepted that outcome from his posts so far, whether he will tell us the final outcome will be down to him obviously, but it may lose the following before the final outcome is known.

Blog Entries
    Hope the OP updates this thread once the matter is settled, so that we might be able to learn something, good or bad, from it.

I would be very surprised if it didn’t go 50-50 as it will turn into a case of he-said, she-said.

Remember, there are two sides to every story, and then there's the truth.