closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Rolex clasp too stiff - post Rolex service

Rolex clasp too stiff - post Rolex service

Hey folks,

I'm looking for the wisdom of the forum. I got my Rolex Sub (14060m) back from a service recently. The clasp was left so tight that the sales assistant was unable to open it when she removed it from the service pouch. The in house watch maker (Rolex credited) had a couple of goes at loosening it until I was happy enough to accept it.

A few week later I've been worn it a few time and . . . it's definitely still too tight. I've reviewed the watch quote and there is wear mentioned on the bracelet, though nothing specific and no mention of it being loose.

I'm going back to the watch dealer at the weekend to have a chat and see what they can do for me to sort this out. There doesn't appear to be a way of sorting the clasp problem without just bending it and the specks can only be sorted by opening it up again.

My thoughts after reflecting on it is that both problems should be made good. I'm interested in hearing the general thoughts of this parish. What would you expect and how would you handle it?

This didn't happen the last time I got it serviced. I hope it's a one off!

EDIT: THANKS for the help and manual exerts folks! :)
    Last edited by Elwood; 18th July 2019 at 09:57. Reason: Updated problem and simplified text

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Elwood View Post
    Hey folks,

I'm looking for the wisdom of the forum. I got my Rolex Sub (14060m) back from a service recently. The clasp was left so tight that the sales assistant was unable to open it when she removed it from the service pouch. The in house watch maker (Rolex credited) had a couple of goes at loosening it until I was happy enough to accept it.

A few week later Ive been worn it a few time and . . . it's definitely still too tight. I've reviewed the watch quote and there is wear mentioned on the bracelet, though nothing specific and no mention of it being loose. In addition, there is mention of specks on the dial which I'd never noticed. On close review there are now specks on the rehaut.

I'm going back to the watch dealer at the weekend to have a chat and see what they can do for me to sort this out. There doesn't appear to be a way of sorting the clasp problem without just bending it and the specks can only be sorted by opening it up again.

My thoughts after reflecting on it is that both problems should be made good. I'm interested in hearing the general thoughts of this parish. What would you expect and how would you handle it?

These clasps are adjusted by bending, very easily done. Also, sometimes after you clean them ultrasonically, its tough to open the fliplock, because its essentially too clean... you need a bit of grease there, just rubbing your fingers on the sides when its open usually works...

Stains on the rehaut could be calcium from the water, hard to say without pictures, but would have to be opened up to get rid...

This from sometime after the Second World War may be of use 😉

Master
    Where was if serviced? Rolex themselves or somewhere else?

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    The booklet that came with my 16750 in 1986 has exactly the same advice - adjust the clasp tightness by gently bending the curved metal.

Quote Originally Posted by NigeG View Post
    Where was if serviced? Rolex themselves or somewhere else?

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    Rolex themselves - sent via a Rolex AD

Master
    Blog Entries
    This in reverse should help.

https://youtu.be/c4H7QjLVXoc

Nice, sadly I didn't think part of the servicing process was DIY! :)

Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    This from sometime after the Second World War may be of use 😉

None the less on the older models with folding clasps this is good for you to know how to alter it.

They do send out on the tight side add they loosen off pretty quickly IME.

Sent from my SM-G950F using TZ-UK mobile app

Rolex themselves - sent via a Rolex AD
    You return it, they sort it.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Wear it, take it on and off a few times and the clasp will loosen. It’s not a high tech item, just stamped metal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    Wear it, take it on and off a few times and the clasp will loosen. It’s not a high tech item, just stamped metal.

I've done just that, no improvement.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I've done just that, no improvement.
    Did you watch the video?

Master
    I just put GT85 on mine when it was new and very stiff. worked a treat.

If you look at where they clip together it’s very easy to adjust with pliers and a small piece of fabric so you don’t scratch the metal. I’ve had a few 5513’s and 14060M’s (back when they were about £1500 new!) and it’s an easy adjustment.

Grand Master
    Before messing around and adjusting it again I’d try to lubricate it with Gt85 or WD40, as it gets used it’ll loosen up slightly. If it gets adjusted now it’ll end up feeling loose in a couple of years. If it’s already been adjusted by someone who knows what he’s doing I’d be tempted to leave well alone.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    This from sometime after the Second World War may be of use 

Ken you are a STAR, my 14060M was getting a bit loose on the snap. I know the hinge cover secures the bracelet, but following your 75 yr old guidance its as snappy as a crocodile sandwich. This photo should be a sticky.

Many thanks