closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: rolex /panerai

rolex /panerai

Ok ,I know at the end of the day this is my decision .I have a gmtc and havent really worn it love the watch.Now i know its a safe bet and i wont lose on it .Would i be daft to consider selling and with the proceeds take the family on holiday and hopefully have enough left to get a pam 754( quite like the look and price) Or am I better just keeping the gmtc,(may squeeze a holiday though) Rolex are money in the bank but sometimes its not about the cash...or is it?

Not wanting to go too deep or come across as condescending but is the thought of selling the watch driven by wanting to go on holiday and not being able to afford it? If so...
    What’s more important?
    A piece of jewellery or using he money to pay for a great holiday with your family and the memory’s that will generate?
    Only you can decide.
    If you don’t need to sell the watch don’t.
    (if it were my family I would keep the watch there is only so much ‘family time’ I can stand)
    Last edited by Sinnlover; 17th July 2019 at 17:59.

Master
    Keep the GMT. Take the family camping to Skegness. Problem solved

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    Not wanting to go too deep or come across as condescending but is the thought of selling the watch driven by wanting to go on holiday and not being able to afford it? If so...
    What’s more important?
    A piece of jewellery or using he money to pay for a great holiday with your family and the memory’s that will generate?
    Only you can decide.
    If you don’t need to sell the watch don’t.
    (if it were my family I would keep the watch there is only so much ‘family time’ I can stand)
    I thought you conclude a piece of jewelry is not up to the joy of great holiday with the family...
    Until your last sentence

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

For me, a family holiday should be more about spending time doing things together rather than where you go/how far you travel (ie how expensive the holiday is). Make memories and all that.

But if I then use the same approach to the watch question, those watches are just pointless expensive trinkets and the money would be better spent on the family enjoying themselves together.

I think I have just confused myself and offered no useful advice at all.

Just ignore me. As you were. Time for a beer I suspect.

If it was me though, I would keep the watch and do a cheaper holiday. I still remember very fondly the family holidays camping in Cornwall, far more than the sun-bed package trips to Spain, Tunisia etc.

If I rarely/don't wear the watch then I'd sell it if I had a better use of the funds (and taking my kids to Florida would definitely count as 'better use'). However, if the money would just go into savings then I'd hold on to the watch as it might come back into favour, grow in value, or perhaps appeal to one of the kids in 20 years.

And at the risk of offending the residents of Skegness, kids are more likely to have fond memories of Orlando or The Maldives

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Halitosis View Post
    If I rarely/don't wear the watch then I'd sell it if I had a better use of the funds (and taking my kids to Florida would definitely count as 'better use'). However, if the money would just go into savings then I'd hold on to the watch as it might come back into favour, grow in value, or perhaps appeal to one of the kids in 20 years.

And at the risk of offending the residents of Skegness, kids are more likely to have fond memories of Orlando or The Maldives
    I’d rather stick my hand in a blender than go to Florida with the kids.
    Total hell.
    Keep the watch

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Hood View Post
    I’d rather stick my hand in a blender than go to Florida with the kids.
    Total hell.
    Keep the watch

You’re going to the wrong parts of Florida then

I’d rather put my hand in the blender than go to Skegness though.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by NigeG View Post
    You’re going to the wrong parts of Florida then
    ]

Blackpool with bigger portions

I would not be selling anything to fund a holiday.
    It's just a matter of time...

Blog Entries
    Definently bigger portions I am a least a stone heavier and don't leave until Friday.

That's before the beer, desserts, snacks and Starbucks.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

The selling of the watch is, in a way, irrelevant. Consider if you had the cash what would you do with it? Watch or holiday?

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MFB Scotland View Post
    Definently bigger portions I am a least a stone heavier and don't leave until Friday.

That's before the beer, desserts, snacks and Starbucks.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
    That’s one hell of a breakfast!!!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Hood View Post
    Blackpool with bigger portions
    Orlando for sure.

There are some far nicer parts of Florida though, just as there are some nicer parts of Lancashire than Blackpool too

Craftsman
    Orlando for sure.

There are some far nicer parts of Florida though, just as there are some nicer parts of Lancashire than Blackpool too

Craftsman
    Watches can be replaced ... an excellent chance of them being cheaper .. time with your children is a fleeting experience I look at photos of 10 years ago rafting some occasional skiing and think it’s the best money I ever spent ...

Craftsman
    Oh and I have Rolex and Panerai and I have a real soft spot for the latter .. somehow not as showy and anyone who knows , knows ...

must confess the 753 is pulling me.

Journeyman
    I’d keep the current watch and go for a holiday with your family

Radiomirs will stick around for the time being (except if the current new-ish CEO is an idiot and he totally ruin the brand....oh wait...what do you call that new submersible with candy colored lumes???) but the precious time with your family members may not...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kitz View Post
    Watches can be replaced ... an excellent chance of them being cheaper .. time with your children is a fleeting experience I look at photos of 10 years ago rafting some occasional skiing and think it’s the best money I ever spent ...

I agree family holidays are super memorable
    But out of all of mine my favourite was a week on Gigha(small Scottish island) on my brother in laws croft in a week of wall to wall sunshine with an outside toilet thrown into the mix.
    It cost about 1K all in and that was eating lobster and crab from local guy.
    Good family holidays aren"t dependent on money spent.

Journeyman
    Code:
    sell the watch. When your old what’s better to look back? How many happy memories does the roley actually give you

Craftsman
    I had a rolex hulk for a few years wore it less and less and less started to hate the bling green dial and the cyclops gave it one last chance and no
    Sold it and form the proceeds bought a pam 1351 and a 753 i i love and wear both
    Enjoy strap changing etc
    To summarise you buy a rolex for the investment and the brag
    Yer ive got a new sub bla bla but no i wont wear it because it might effect
    its increasing value (boring)
    Or buy a panerai and smile and enjoy

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

I recently sold my SubC as I do wear my PAM312 far far more. The Rolex is a lot smarter but the Panerai is a great thing to wear.

The whole Rolex 'thing' at the moment is really putting me off. I'll probably get another in the future (the SubC was my 5th Rolex to date) but not fussed at the moment. Decided to sell it and buy a Tudor GMT in its place and was going to use the rest on a new bathroom. Didn't need to but decided I wanted to. Only problem is I've since bought 2 additional watches with the proceeds leaving me with less than I anticipated but am happy anyway

If you do decide to do what you do, stick to it and don't go a bit daft buying multiple watches.

For me, if its not used/worn, then unless it is an investment (and they shouldn't be in my opinion), let it go, get a wearer and enjoy the family holiday

Quote Originally Posted by scooby View Post
    I had a rolex hulk for a few years wore it less and less and less started to hate the bling green dial and the cyclops gave it one last chance and no
    Sold it and form the proceeds bought a pam 1351 and a 753 i i love and wear both
    Enjoy strap changing etc
    To summarise you buy a rolex for the investment and the brag
    Yer ive got a new sub bla bla but no i wont wear it because it might effect
    its increasing value (boring)
    Or buy a panerai and smile and enjoy

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app
    This. I was exactly the same. I came to the conclusion that I was buying the brand and then trying to love the watch. It never really happened with any of the models that I owned.

Currently have a 590 and a 425. I actually missed the 590 while it was away for a timing issue.

I may go back to Rolex but based on current prices I just can’t see it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Would the OP be daft to liquidate finds from what I think is an over-valued watch? Not at all.

If you were enjoying the GMT and wearing it enough, then I would keep it. No one knows what will happen with future Rolex supply and demand, but I cannot believe this madness is the new normal, but it is anyone’s guess when any correction may occur.

My only issue with the accessibly priced Panerai watches is that the snap on backs just shout cost-cutting, and that would put me off. There are a lot of interesting and good value watches, so freeing funds for family, and pursuing interesting alternatives is sound

Dave

Master
    Like my Rolex. Love my Panerai.

Master
    If you’re not bothered about the GMT, sell it. It’s a massive amount of money to have sitting in a wrist trinket you don’t even enjoy that much!

Master
    Blog Entries
    I would sell every single watch I own to fund holidays to be honest. The memories far outweigh the ownership of any watch.

Master
    You can't beat the memories of a family holiday.

Having said that if I was you I would make this decision on how much you like the watch and how often you wear it. If you would genuinely prefer a PAM I would do it. Make the decision on the sole basis of the watches.

The family holiday is a bonus.

With out risk of offending anyone I see no point in owning a watch that doesn't get worn. (vintage of family heirloom aside.)

Sell the watch you don’t wear. And as for heirlooms, how many kids today will wear their dads watch in 30 years time? They’ll be impossible/ruinously expensive to service, value will make them difficult to wear as a daily, and they won’t be as useful as the Apple Watch 52 that’ll probably check your DNA every morning as you have breakfast!

Dont get me wrong ,I love the gmt but sometimes feel guilty at the value . Holiday and a watch for me softens the blow if I sell.

How long did you wait for the GMT?

Personally I think that the Rolex sports watch craziness is reaching or has reached its peak so I’d flog it.

Master
    Orlando for sure.

there are few places in Lancashire not nicer than Blackpool

"how long did you wait "

It was in the days when you could walk in a purchase a Rolex