closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: anOrdain Model 2 released

anOrdain Model 2 released

Not sure about it - some aspects are great - but it's a little different so that's good.

https://anordain.com/collections/model-2
    Last edited by OldHooky; 16th July 2019 at 16:44.

I'm always open to some new things, but have to say, not too sure about that. The enamel and hands look good, the numeral I dunno....

Reducing both case diameter & thickness compared to the Model 1 is a positive, and I really like the larger hands with their interesting construction.

However, I’m not as fond of the range of colours, and miss some of the stand-outs of the Model 1 (e.g. the striking ‘Post Office Red’; beautiful ‘Iron Cream’ & the two blues that had a lovely depth).

I quite like the design, and think these will grow on me further.

I admire them for doing their own thing, with a niche aspect in the enamel dials.

I quite like them, probably the white dial the most.

I know it's silly but I don't like the brand name logo very much, looks a bit cheap to my eyes which is a shame as otherwise I like what they're doing and could potentially see me owning one if I was ever to buy another new watch.

Just lacking a date function at the moment.
    Vote goes to the Model 1 over these though.

Quote Originally Posted by hughtrimble View Post
    Just lacking a date function at the moment.
    Vote goes to the Model 1 over these though.
    Holes make enamelling more difficult due to localisation of stress and strain. Doubt we see one for a while until they get more experienced.

Thanks for posting, David, I really like it. In fact this could very well be my next watch purchase!

Quote Originally Posted by crazyp View Post
    Holes make enamelling more difficult due to localisation of stress and strain. Doubt we see one for a while until they get more experienced.
    I emailed anOrdain with a few questions, and Lewis addressed this issue. According to him it has nothing to do with technical difficulties, but rather it's an aesthetic decision. His reply: "The reason we don't make date windows is because enamel is twice as thick as a brass dial and the depth creates a hole with shadows rather than an opening."

Master
    I like that model, especially the hands with that little bit of lume. Not so much a fan of the numerals but the filled ones look better than the unfilled. The grey and purple dials stand out for me.

Tapatapatapatapatalk

Master
    Well, I see the idea behind it, but doesn't do anything for me...

Vitreous dial ok but make it a little more interesting with some script. Not sure about putting the name on it though, even worse than C Ward!!

Quote Originally Posted by JackW View Post
    Thanks for posting, David, I really like it. In fact this could very well be my next watch purchase!

I emailed anOrdain with a few questions, and Lewis addressed this issue. According to him it has nothing to do with technical difficulties, but rather it's an aesthetic decision. His reply: "The reason we don't make date windows is because enamel is twice as thick as a brass dial and the depth creates a hole with shadows rather than an opening."
    Interesting - thanks for the info!

I keep forgetting to update this thread, but I received mine in early september and I'm very pleased with it. It seems well made, with interesting case lines and of course the dial is a bit special. Drawbacks? Lume is poor for a design inspired by field watches, but then I wouldn't want to have the dial spoilt by layers of lume. The domed crystal is a bit reflective too, despite the AR coating. Which makes it almost impossible to get a decent real life picture. I tried my best though. AnOrdain have been a pleasure to deal with by the way, patiently answering all my questions beforehand and updating me on the production process and delivery. All in all I'm really happy with it.

Master
    I've been considering the Anordain Model 2 for a few weeks now. The reviews have been largely positive and I'm in a bit of a manual-wind phase at the moment. Thought I'd revisit the website and these beauties have now appeared!

https://anordain.com/collections/model-2-fume-all

Very pricy considering the movement but those dials - wow. They remind me a little of these: https://www.glashuette-original.com/...39-52-13-02-04

Anordain seem to be on a roll at the moment.

Totally agree, I’ve certainly fallen for them after discovering the brand.

They’ve been very responsive with emails regarding questions so far and I’ve just placed an order. Now the waiting begins...I’m sure it will be worth it!

I had the pleasure of handling Hidde's Model 2 last week and it's a lovely sum of all parts. Like many watches, once on the wrist it is perfect and any doubts quickly fade.

I am tempted to put in an order myself. I really like the dark green model.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m really liking the white dial and am very tempted. I suspect I ll be in a minority but the lack of date is a real plus for me. I can’t read it so it becomes a frustrating annoyance (poor eyesight). The only thing which may put me off is size - 38 - 40mm would be perfect for me. Again I realise that this won’t be for everyone but the extra size would improve readability for me, which has become an increasingly important consideration when making purchases.

First I've seen of this brand, love the look of the Model 2 - wallet and that weedy 36mm diameter say no, everything else is a big YES from me!

Arrived today, just disappears on the wrist. Hard to photograph the deep green but it’s there and adds a nice touch of depth.

Master
    It looks like some cheap crap that's worth £10 at most!! Makes the original Swatch seem classy! And they charge the best part of a grand for it???? Who's fooling who?????

Quote Originally Posted by crazyp View Post
    ...The enamel and hands look good, the numeral I dunno....
    My thoughts exactly.

Also, don't like the 'vitreous enamel' wording on the dial, but like the colour range.
    Last edited by dejjl; 19th November 2019 at 13:08.

Quote Originally Posted by dejjl View Post
    My thoughts exactly.

Also, don't like the 'vitreous enamel' wording on the dial, but like the colour range.
    Also agree with you - the colour of above looks nice, but not feeling the overall design nor the case. Look forward to what they do with Model 3!!!

Quote Originally Posted by MrGrumpy View Post
    It looks like some cheap crap that's worth £10 at most!! Makes the original Swatch seem classy! And they charge the best part of a grand for it???? Who's fooling who?????
    There is a good chance that you may be living up.to your username :) I've handled one of these and even at £2k it would be cracking value. The pics on this thread don't do it justice but IMHO there isn't a dial under £5k that's as nice as these and that doesn't have the words Grand Seiko or Minase on it.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

I’m really liking what AnOrdain are producing. The new Fume dials are lovely in photos and I’m sure much much nicer in person. I’m very tempted by the standard Model 2 but can’t decide on the polished or brushed finish. For a daily wearer the brushed makes more sense but the polished case is lovely.

I like what they're trying to do WRT enamel dials, but this just seems like a confused mishmash of design ideas: part art deco, part brutalist. And not in a clever "that shouldn't work but it does" kind of a way. It doesn't seem to know if it's supposed to be a tool watch or a dress watch, so takes bits and pieces of both, seemingly at random. The case reminds me of the Victorinox Inox, except that the Inox actually has some sense of style and honesty about it.

It looks better in the wrist shots people have posted here than the photos on their site, but there's no way I'd buy one of these. The fume dial actually looks like it could be half decent if they put it in a different case. I'm not a fan of the printed ones at all, because the lettering doesn't look at all crisp enough for the chosen font.

I still wouldn't buy one with those fugly hands either, but at least they seem to match the dial typography, so the result could at least be somewhat cohesive. Although if you're going to have special inspired-by-needlepoint-but-totally-more-modern-and-quirky-because-they-skeletonised hands then you should probably have a minute marker chapter ring.