closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Manhattan hotel recommendations

Craftsman

Manhattan hotel recommendations

My wife and I are travelling to NYC in late October this year, for 4 nights. We usually go AirBnb, but fancy a hotel this time.

We want to be on the island of Manhattan. Did the staying in Brooklyn thing before and it's too much of a pain going back and forth all the time.

Our preferred areas to stay are: Upper East Side, East Village, Greenwich or Chelsea.

We're not looking to spend much more than €350 per night. We will be spending most of our time out and about so we're not looking for a lot of facilities from the hotel, just good location, close to public transport, clean and comfortable.

I love to hear any recommendations you may have?

Cheers!

Master
    I’ve just come back from there & stayed in the Paramount just off Time Square.

Never had a room or bathroom as small. Know space is a premium but this place took it to a whole new level. I’d avoid.

If you want a great burger, head out to the 5 napkin burger in Hell’s Kitchen, the Westway Diner in Hells is also great for breakfast, and about 1/4 of the price of Pershing Square by GCC, although does lack the impact factor. Pershing is lovely by the way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve used Hotwire.com (now owned by parent Expedia, I think) going back over 20 years, and still use it today (including for our US trip this summer).

You don’t know the hotel until you’ve paid the money (no refunds whatsoever!!) but you know the area, star rating, customer rating, Tripadvisor rating and amenities before you book. That way you get a great price and the hotel remains anonymous.

Some great deals can be had. We got a family room in a 3 star with breakfast for £100 per night, not far from Central Park, and in peak August holiday time last year.

Not for everyone, but it maybe worth a look if you have an adventurous spirit.

We stayed at the Arlo Nomad earlier this year.
    Small rooms but clean, with friendly staff and they serve free wine for an hour or so in the evening...
    Centrally located just around the corner from the Empire State building.
    It has a rooftop bar as well, unfortunately closed when we were there, but it was -10!

We stayed at the New Yorker on 8th Avenue in October and it was absolutely fantastic.

Massive room on 32nd floor with a pretty decent view:

Last edited by TaketheCannoli; 16th July 2019 at 19:32.

Stayed at The Quinn four years ago. Location was spot on. I didn't have the best size room but knew that beforehand. Would be worth checking out.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Casablanca, best boutique hotel you will find. But, book early. Great restaurant (Tony’s) next door, through a speak-easy. Great Negronis.
    Last edited by Skyman; 16th July 2019 at 19:38.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Skyman View Post
    Casablanca, best boutique hotel you will find. But, book early. Great restaurant (Tony’s) next door, through a speak-easy. Great Negronis.
    Seconded. Really enjoyed our stay there. Just off Times Square but once in the hotel you'd never know. Continental Breakfast Buffet Every Morning and a Three Hour Wine & Cheese Reception Every Evening. Which means you just need to eat out once during the day.

I stayed at this one last year:

https://uk.hotels.com/ho550472672/?display=description

Amazing location, 100 mtrs from Empire State, 5 mins walk to Times Sq, great price and even breakfast thrown in too!

John

Master
    Blog Entries
    Went last year but this time decided to stay slightly more central then the usual Time Square area.

Being more central allowed us to walk easier / closer in any direction to a different neighbourhood for exploring and less time wasting. Worked out a good strategy since so much to see and do.

Think we stayed at the Langham which was superb (close to Empire also) - think I got a deal at the time.
    Last edited by kultschar; 17th July 2019 at 11:09.

Craftsman
    The SoHo Grand is my NYC go-to. Never had s bad stay and although the more affordable rooms are small, they are well designed and the service, bar and location are superb.

Craftsman
    Thanks for all the recommendations folks. They're very helpful.

Blog Entries
    Used to stay at the Grand Hyatt next to Grand Central Station which would be within your budget - https://www.hyatt.com/en-US/hotel/ne...transportation

Quote Originally Posted by westy View Post
    We stayed at the Arlo Nomad earlier this year.
    Small rooms but clean, with friendly staff and they serve free wine for an hour or so in the evening...
    Centrally located just around the corner from the Empire State building.
    It has a rooftop bar as well, unfortunately closed when we were there, but it was -10!
    Another vote for Arlo Nomad here - compact rooms for sure, but handy location and really nice place

Master
    Stayed at Langham Place on 5th/35th a few years ago & the rooms were huge (900sq), good location & nice bar. Part of a deal but suspect within budget.

Alex

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    We stayed at the New Yorker on 8th Avenue in October and it was absolutely fantastic.

Second vote for the New Yorker. I've stayed here twice and it's in a great location and just round the corner from the Skylight Diner - amazing NYC local breakfast & no tourists (apart from us!).

Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post

Yep, we've stayed there. Wonderful hotel with a real history. The biggest hotel in the world when it opened in the 1920's I think, Art Deco, and Tesla himself lived there - did you go see the Tesla Museum in the basement (free too!).

Definitely recommended.
    So clever my foot fell off.

Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingBanana View Post
    Yep, we've stayed there. Wonderful hotel with a real history. The biggest hotel in the world when it opened in the 1920's I think, Art Deco, and Tesla himself lived there - did you go see the Tesla Museum in the basement (free too!).

Definitely recommended.
    We didn't. To be really honest I didn't know it was there but we had so much crammed in it would have been way down the list anyway. Fabulous hotel with the famous Tick Tock Diner on the ground floor. I can't wait to go back to NY. It's likely to be a few years away but I knew when I sat in Central Park on a warm sunny day that I had to return :(

Craftsman
    I like the Indigo Hotel - it's Lower East Side. Has a pool on the roof:

https://www.ihg.com/hotelindigo/hote...N-_-US-_-NYCOS