closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Ivy

Master

Ivy

I want to grow ivy out of the bottom of my walls (pavement side) because I’m fed up of having to paint the outside of my walls every year. The garden behind the wall is only about a foot or so below the top of the wall so I have moisture coming through the wall all the time and it’s caused the render to crack and the paint always peel.
    Does anyone know what the legal stance is on this? I know you have to trim any hedges back that can block a pavement or road but ivy wouldn’t be coming that far off the surface of the wall.
    My plan is to enlarge the drainage holes at the bottom of my wall and plant an established(ish) ivy horizontally in the hole.
    It’s also an added bonus that for me personally, I think a green natural wall would look a million times better than a flaky painted one.
    Cheers.

Edit: if anyone can suggest a better plant that will give year round coverage and better variety of colour, please feel free to suggest.

Master
    Are you there for a while? The ivy will damage the render on the wall. What about a self coloured render? Or paint it a colour you have to paint less often. What sort of paint are you using, proper breathable exterior masonry paint, I'm surprised it needs doing every year.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy67 View Post
    Are you there for a while? The ivy will damage the render on the wall. What about a self coloured render? Or paint it a colour you have to paint less often. What sort of paint are you using, proper breathable exterior masonry paint, I'm surprised it needs doing every year.
    The walls are the same colour as the house, so I don’t really want to change the colour other than to a live wall as it were. It’s proper masonry paint. If my garden wasn’t so high behind the wall, I think I would be ok, but because it is, and the amount of rain we get, the wall is always wet, hence the paint peeling. I’m not worried about the ivy damaging the render because it’s already cracked anyway.

Don't do it.
    Over time the Ivy will wreck your wall as it attaches itself with rootlets which grow over time and blow the render/fracture the mortar joints.

Much better to plant something on your side of the wall which can be trained to trail over the top and hangs down to cover the other side. Or just use a through-coloured render as suggested above.

Craftsman
    Remove the soil that's up against the inside of the wall to stop moisture transfer through wall.
    If needed you can apply moisture barrier/paint etc to stop it.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Nigel306 View Post
    Remove the soil that's up against the inside of the wall to stop moisture transfer through wall.
    If needed you can apply moisture barrier/paint etc to stop it.
    Unfortunately that is not even remotely possible. The garden is only a foot below the top of the wall.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Maysie View Post
    Don't do it.
    Over time the Ivy will wreck your wall as it attaches itself with rootlets which grow over time and blow the render/fracture the mortar joints.

Much better to plant something on your side of the wall which can be trained to trail over the top and hangs down to cover the other side. Or just use a through-coloured render as suggested above.
    The wall had seen better days before I rendered it anyway. It was built when the house was built which was back in the 60’s I believe.
    I’ve already planted some ivy on the inside of the wall but I’m hoping to grow that up through the fencing.

Ah. I thought this was a restaurant discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by draftsmann View Post
    Ah. I thought this was a restaurant discussion.
    Same thoughts exactly. Anyway, we had a really nice virgin mojitos while waiting to be seated at one of their brasseries yesterday.
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

Have a look at a Russian vine?
    Grows like mad and pretty, green turning red later.

You need Superdec exterior paint - that lasts ten years plus. Our entire house exterior is painted with it.
    So clever my foot fell off.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingBanana View Post
    You need Superdec exterior paint - that lasts ten years plus. Our entire house exterior is painted with it.
    Will it make a difference if the brick/render is permanently damp?