closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Graduation gift? Ideas

Master
    Exiled in the Land that time forgot - Yorkshire

Graduation gift? Ideas

Hello chaps.

My friend's daughter graduation is in a fortnight, she's now fretting on getting her a personal gift that doesn't cost the earth.

I have no doubt some of you have been in the same situation, please share some of your ideas. She's beginning to panic on what to get her.

Cheers!

Adam

Didn’t know there was such a thing.

Master
    I sell more jewellery around graduation time than I do at Christmas these days! Can't go wrong with a pendant.

Failing that, my own preference would be something that will help her in her chosen vocation after Uni - be it a fancy briefcase or leather satchel or (probably more apt these days) a piece of tech, sadly a new laptop isn't going to last forever though.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Didn’t know there was such a thing.
    Neither did I!!

Quote Originally Posted by kevkojak View Post
    Failing that, my own preference would be something that will help her in her chosen vocation after Uni..
    ^^^
    This is what my BiL bought for my niece when she graduated. A nice Montblanc pen for her new job as a trainee solicitor.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Maysie View Post
    ^^^
    This is what my BiL bought for my niece when she graduated. A nice Montblanc pen for her new job as a trainee solicitor.
    I suggested a pen, but was laughed out of town.

My “graduation present” was a lecture from the old man, the general gist being “now you’re in the real world so you’d better get off your arse and get a job”.

Quote Originally Posted by kevkojak View Post
    Failing that, my own preference would be something that will help her in her chosen vocation after Uni - be it a fancy briefcase or leather satchel
    This. Maybe I'm getting old and nostalgic but something "to keep" in shiny metal, leather or even wood is definitely ideal.

My mum gave me a hip flask. Bloody enabler!

Master
    Few years ago, my parents took me out for a pizza. Hit the spot. I didn't see any reason for a gift, it's only graduation. It's hard not to graduate these days.

A pair of stud diamond earrings. Classic.

Better still an offer to pay off some of her student loan, or a small cash sum towards a SIPP. Get her thinking about a pension. She will thank her later

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post

Better still an offer to pay off some of her student loan, or a small cash sum towards a SIPP. Get her thinking about a pension. She will thank her later
    Not sure that an offer to repay some of the loan is good financial or indeed general sense. Apart from being cheap borrowing where the requirement to repay is means tested I think it’s healthy for young adults not to be given everything on a plate. I appreciate that my view isn’t necessarily popular these days...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post

Not sure that an offer to repay some of the loan is good financial or indeed general sense. Apart from being cheap borrowing where the requirement to repay is means tested I think it’s healthy for young adults not to be given everything on a plate. I appreciate that my view isn’t necessarily popular these days...

To my mind any gift is unnecessary but if you must I think some form of keepsake is far more preferable to cash or equivalent.

Surprised no one has mentioned a watch.

Quote Originally Posted by draftsmann View Post
    My “graduation present” was a lecture from the old man, the general gist being “now you’re in the real world so you’d better get off your arse and get a job”.
    I had the exact same graduation gift.

Journeyman

Graduation gift? Ideas

My parents funded my way through study, that was gift enough. I was old enough when I graduated at almost 22 to appreciate this but only just.

I agree with the above sentiments, a little keepsake in keeping with her chosen career is a very nice thing to do. Aspinal, Mulberry, Bottega Veneta etc. all do nice folio bags that aren’t too old fashioned. I use an Aspinal Connaught in black saffiano when I’m schlepping about the city and I always get great comments.

If budget is a little larger, perhaps a holiday that she’ll never forget before she dives into 5 decades of work would be nice.

Thinking about it, if you want to go practical, one of my friends got his security deposit and first month of rent for a flat in London. Allowed him to move down there. Millionaire now. Changed his life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by adam164 View Post
    And that’s why it’s virtually impossible for us to answer the question as we don’t know her, her interests or motivations. I wouldn’t have appreciated a pen at her age but would now. Her parents know her best so should be able to come up with something. Maybe they could ask her?

Blog Entries
    For my nephew’s PhD graduation got him a solid back Tissot, new because box etc is more appropriate. And I used the service from a Sheffield shop (20 pounds only) to have a short phrase engraved with laser etching. Took out the back, got it done, put the back back in the watch.

Quote Originally Posted by adam164 View Post
    To be fair, a pen would not have worked so well for his other daughter, who went into the army as a dog handler!
    As TTC mentioned above, it is very hard without knowing the person and their situation.

Quote Originally Posted by vortgern View Post
    Surprised no one has mentioned a slow worm or an MX5.
    Corrected for you

I didn’t get my kids anything except to take them out for a meal.

Master
    we bought both our girls a Tiffany necklace to wear on the day

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    I had the exact same graduation gift.
    Sounds like there was a job lot of that particular gift doing the rounds, I received mine in 1998 and value it to this day. ;-)

On the OP's question, I think the main question for the parent is always whether to give an experience or a physical object, depending on the individual. Certainly I'd almost certainly have lost or ruined a nice object during my early 20s, but the experience of the post-graduation chat has stayed with me...

Craftsman
    Well I think I got it wrong, my daughter graduates next week and the only gift bought so far is an Elgin B W Raymond railroad grade pocket watch & matching chain, for me obviously.
    Must put the thinking cap on & find something for my hard-working daughter before next week.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by lewie View Post
    we bought both our girls a Tiffany necklace to wear on the day
    Just to wear on one day?!!!!
    Seriously my daughter was happy just to get her old room back at home, and two servants once again. Times change of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Pitfitter View Post
    Seriously my daughter was happy just to get her old room back at home, and two servants once again. Times change of course.
    I didn’t like going back to my parents’ to live after I graduated and moved out as soon as I could. Seems that these days they are all too keen to return to the tit...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by draftsmann View Post
    I didn’t like going back to my parents’ to live after I graduated and moved out as soon as I could. Seems that these days they are all too keen to return to the tit...
    My daughter graduated approx 20 years ago and was glad of somewhere to go until she got sorted, wife and I were right put out after peace and freedom of the house for 4 years.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Pitfitter View Post
    Yeh they threw them away after the ceremony

Craftsman
    I got my son a kilt for his graduation. Last him a lifetime.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Journeyman
    A fountain pen would do the trick