closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Kennedy Space Center Visit

Blog Entries

Kennedy Space Center Visit

Decided to go to Kennedy Space Center yesterday as we thought it may be too busy later on this week. 50 years ago today the mission set off.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    My favourite part was seeing the Atlantis Space Shuttle. The Space Shuttle launches were so iconic when I was growing up.

Blog Entries
    Some blurry Speedmaster photos....

After all its a WT thread

I was there last year and from your photos I can see you done to bus trip to the launch sites, the whole complex is just amazing and in my eyes blows away the rest of Florida’s attractions, even my lad who was 11 at the time said it was the best day he had on holiday.

Enjoy your hols..

Still an ambition of mine to bring my family there.
    I ran home from school as a child to see space shuttle launches.
    Got to see the Enterprise in NYC to, which was a privilege.

I went for the day in January (I was in Florida for the Daytona 24 Hours) and would heartily recommend a visit to KSC (rather than KFC!) to anyone.

Being that bit older, the Saturn V and the Apollo programme were the highlights for me, but I did enjoy the Space Shuttle and the Mercury and Gemini project displays too.

The sneak peek into future Mars projects was interesting too.

Not many watches on display though!

M

Craftsman
    Funnily enough I visited the Johnston Space Centre (Huston) last week, here you can see the restored mission control centre. This, too, is an amazing visit...

Went a couple of years ago. Have to admit to being a little emotional when the doors opened and we were confronted with Atlantis.

What a perfect time to have visited. Well played!

Fabulous place, visited myself in 1980 and 2012. Appreciated it more as an oldie

Blog Entries
    My absolute favourite place, compounded last year when I saw a launch. The kids were a nightmare to get to the view point but admitted it was spectacular.
    Going back next July as there are 3 scheduled launches in one week.
    Not a great picture but you get the idea......

Blog Entries
    I thought the Saturn V was truly impressive.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Been there

Fas est ab hoste doceri

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Danstone View Post
    Went a couple of years ago. Have to admit to being a little emotional when the doors opened and we were confronted with Atlantis.
    I agree, that was a very special moment and superbly done in my view.

I was there in April this year as part of a 2 week trip to Florida, easily the highlight of the entire trip for me was the KSC visit. The Falcon Heavy was on the pad when we were there and lifted off a few days later. To watch the re-useable elements of that vehicle return to earth again was just spectacular.

The Atlantis exhibit is breathtaking, I spent an hour just doing circuits around it, a lot bigger than I imagined it would be too. The exhibit for the lost crews of Columbia and Challenger was very respectful.

The Shuttle almost stole the show but for me, the Saturn 5 edged it, absolutely stunning and extremely humbling too.

For anyone planning a visit, just book the Bus Tour, that way you get to see everything.

Thanks to the OP for taking the time to post.

Master
    We did Florida last year. Disney and Universal were ok, but Kennedy was just amazing. The 5 and the Atlantis were my highlights, but the biggest eye-opener was the scale of the assembly buildings. Hard to take in.

Master
    In 2007, we saw shuttle STS-118 launch from the Astronaut Hall of Fame museum, about 4 miles away. There was a big screen so you could see close up video and then eventually the trail was visible with the naked eye. Awesome experience and would recommend the Space Centre wholeheartedly.
    Last edited by David_D; 19th July 2019 at 16:04.

Master
    Did a visit in the mid 90s and remember it for all the wrong reasons, had an altercation with a couple of Hispanic gentlemen on the double decker bus which very nearly came to blows. As my wife said, I can’t take you anywhere!

Master
    We did the Florida trip to Orlando, Universal, Kennedy Space Centre about 5 years ago.
    I can honestly say that I didn’t really enjoy Florida that much, but Kennedy was a fantastic experience and easily the highlight of the holiday.

- - - Updated - - -

We did the Florida trip to Orlando, Universal, Kennedy Space Centre about 5 years ago.
    I can honestly say that I didn’t really enjoy Florida that much, but Kennedy was a fantastic experience and easily the highlight of the holiday.

Craftsman
    Absolutely stunning place. We visited on May 8th this year. We’ve also visited a few times over the years. Saw Atlantis launch on May 14th 2010 (STS132). One of the best days of my life.