closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Solving the ‘no half links’ on my 58 bracelet issue I have...

Master

Solving the ‘no half links’ on my 58 bracelet issue I have...

With the adjustability on offer I can not get my 58 to fit comfortably on my 7 inch wrist in this warm weather. The spacing between then adjustments on the clasp are 3mm and the spare links are 10mm. As a result the play I have is 4mm by either adding/removing a link and moving the bracelet to the inner/outer most hole on the clasp. On the snugger setting its perfect when cold but tight when warm and the looser setting it is too loose and falls around on my wrist. It bugs me!

I recently visited Simon Freese and he is a terrifically skilled watch maker. I am in discussions to add an additional hole to the clasp 2mm in from the last position. By doing this and adding a link I can increase the size of the bracelet by 2mm. Add 10mm link and move the bracket to the new position taking away 8mm. To do this a link also needs to be sacrificed as the faux rivets need to be removed so the link can fit inside the clasp. That’s not an issue though for me.

This may seem extreme to some but to make the watch wear perfectly it’s a change that will look oem and make the watch perfect for me. I’ll update once this is done with some pictures.

Stu
    Last edited by Stuno1; 14th July 2019 at 21:56.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Sounds like a good solution for you.

Fantastic, love it, got any pictures of the finished bracelet?

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Arcam View Post
    Fantastic, love it, got any pictures of the finished bracelet?

In discussions with Simon at the moment. I’ll post an update once it’s all done.

Thanks, I should have re-read your original post as you say you will upload pics when done.

I can think of at least 2 bracelets of mine that would benefit from this mod.

Last edited by Arcam; 15th July 2019 at 07:14. Reason: Typo

Master
    I can see him being inundated with work from here if the cost is reasonable, certainly two of mine. Looking forward to an update.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanie View Post
    I can see him being inundated with work from here if the cost is reasonable, certainly two of mine. Looking forward to an update.
    I chap I speak to regularly is considering the same with his bb36 once I let him know the outcome. Surprised no one else has done this to be honest. I know some will it want to alter the original watch in anyway but one extra hole that adds more size flexibility is a plus for me.

Master
    Small update:
    Unfortunately Simon is busy until late September and I agreed I will pick up with him then. However since buying my GMT I have realised the 58 definitely needs this done. I believe the 58 and GMT bracelet length are the same but the extra 2mm of lug to lug length has meant my GMT fits perfectly on my wrist. Small gap when my wrist is fully swollen from heat and not too loose when cold. It’s amazing how such small margins change a watches comfort.
    Last edited by Stuno1; 27th August 2019 at 15:43.

Grand Master
    It’s a shame the manufacturers of expensive watches don’t put a bit more thought into bracelet adjustment. The old- styles with holes in the clasp were fine, generally they could be adjusted to within 2 or 3mm easily. Having to take links in or out isn’t a problem but ideally two shorter links that are either slightly more or slightly less than half should be provided, thus allowing fine adjustment. The aim should be to provide adjustment to +/- 2 mm, it isn’t difficult to design.

What really bugs me are bracelets where the 6 side can’t be made short enough, the pre-2006 Rolex Oyster bracelets were bad for this, not a problem for those with bigger wrists but a deal-breaker for folks like me.

I love the Easylink on my Rolex bracelet. So simple to expand a bit when needed. Something you'd think wouldn't be beyond Tudor to incorporate.

It's one of the things that I've never understood other manufacturers not including.

They seen to be learning - omega have been at it for a while, breitling claps since 2018 have included an easy link + micro holes to the tone of a full link. Hopefully others will join in too.

Master
    Simon now has capacity to do this work so I will be sending off the clasp and link this week. I’ll update with photos when the work is complete. I image 2-4 weeks.

I am looking forward to this. I believe the 58 and GMT bracelets are the same length making the only delta in fit the lug to lug of the watch cases. My GMT being 50mm and 58 being just under 48mm. My GMT fits my 7 inch wrist perfectly (for my taste) so it will be great to achieve a similar fit with my 58.

Craftsman
    Have done this successfully as a DIY job for anyone who has wondered about it with a less expensive bracelet. Photo further down this thread....

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.php?t=433939

Sent from my G8441 using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by boywithabubblegun View Post
    Have done this successfully as a DIY job for anyone who has wondered about it with a less expensive bracelet. Photo further down this thread....

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.php?t=433939

Sent from my G8441 using TZ-UK mobile app
    That’s the plan. It will work for me and having a watch maker do it, it should look oem.