closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Car Boot Sunday

Banned
    Torquay, Devon. Great place to work and relax. Love flying and lots of great sea walks.

Car Boot Sunday

At 7am I was just about to give up and come home having got to the sale at 6am. Thinking what am I doing here ? It's still night and I'm walking around like a Zombie half asleep and on auto pilot. Looking at the kids dragged there by parents, I could see they felt the same.
    Anyway, just about the last stall I stumbled upon, there was a young lady with this set of PP watch books, a PP video and a couple of handy boxes, the LV still has a lovely stitched cotton bag inside. She told me she had worked for IWC Schaffhausen in accounts and had a couple of interesting stories about them.
    The stall opposite, I found the Elliot clock. A drop of oil on the pivots and platform escapement, and it's now going. Running for at least eight days hopefully.
    Up until then, all I had found was this Eclipse demagnetiser. Now I can demagnetise all my larger watch tools, my vernier calipers, micrometer, even my lathe and components too large for my watch demagnetiser. A really useful find.
    The Patek books will be a great read for both myself and my apprentice.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

You definitely have some good car books around you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Cracking finds!

Banned
    Torquay, Devon. Great place to work and relax. Love flying and lots of great sea walks.
    Thanks for your comments. It does mean getting up at 5am on a Sunday, reminds me of picking mushrooms as a kid !

Quote Originally Posted by Webwatchmaker View Post
    Thanks for your comments. It does mean getting up at 5am on a Sunday, reminds me of picking mushrooms as a kid !

There is a 05:00 on a Sunday? Must contain a lot of coffee then! and strong coffee at that!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by woodacre1983 View Post
    There is a 05:00 on a Sunday? Must contain a lot of coffee then! and strong coffee at that!

I think that time is still classed as Saturday night...

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by mtagrant View Post
    I think that time is still classed as Saturday night...
    I remember it well. Staggering home from a great night out. I don't go to pubs any more. The smoking ban although great for the health, has rather killed the atmosphere. That and live sports on huge TV 's has destroyed it for me.

Master
    At 7am I was just about to give up and come home having got to the sale at 6am. Thinking what am I doing here ? It's still night and I'm walking around like a Zombie half asleep and on auto pilot. Looking at the kids dragged there by parents, I could see they felt the same.
    Anyway, just about the last stall I stumbled upon, there was a young lady with this set of PP watch books, a PP video and a couple of handy boxes, the LV still has a lovely stitched cotton bag inside. She told me she had worked for IWC Schaffhausen in accounts and had a couple of interesting stories about them.
    The stall opposite, I found the Elliot clock. A drop of oil on the pivots and platform escapement, and it's now going. Running for at least eight days hopefully.
    Up until then, all I had found was this Eclipse demagnetiser. Now I can demagnetise all my larger watch tools, my vernier calipers, micrometer, even my lathe and components too large for my watch demagnetiser. A really useful find.
    The Patek books will be a great read for both myself and my apprentice.

I've worked in engineering since leaving school in 1974 and used Elipse magnets in DTI bases, on Jones and Shipman surface grinders, and most of the CNC robots use them for picking up heavy components but i didn't know they made de-mag boxes. Cheers for that 
    Last edited by RD200; 15th July 2019 at 08:18.

Banned
    I didn't know that either !

It's certainly powerful.

Master
    There was a rotary grinder at one place i worked that surface ground gear faces and the lad on it de-magged the gears but it was just a big square box with a hole in and obviously passed the gears through.
    Looks like you picked up some good stuff.

You must have the patience of a saint - I lose it with the wetsuits, skateboards, kiddie clothes, toys, wetsuits, skateboards, kiddie clothes, toys, wetsuits, skateboards, kiddie clothes, toys, wetsuits, skateboards, kiddie clothes, toys
    Gray

Banned
    I forgot to ask if anyone wants a copy of the PP DVD ?

I remember it well. Staggering home from a great night out. I don't go to pubs any more. The smoking ban although great for the health, has rather killed the atmosphere. That and live sports on huge TV 's has destroyed it for me.
    With you on the TVs, but I can't believe, looking back, I suffered voluntary incarceration in a gas chamber so often!

There's definitely less 'atmosphere' in a pub these days, but at least you can breath it now!

Nice haul, but maybe go around the car boot the other way next time?

M

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    With you on the TVs, but I can't believe, looking back, I suffered voluntary incarceration in a gas chamber so often!

There's definitely less 'atmosphere' in a pub these days, but at least you can breath it now!

Nice haul, but maybe go around the car boot the other way next time?

M
    Hmm... The Swiss reckon diesel fumes are far worse ! But they do have a large Philip Morris plant !
    *I'm half asleep going round the stalls, so I start in the middle !

Hmm... The Swiss reckon diesel fumes are far worse ! But they do have a large Philip Morris plant !
    *I'm half asleep going round the stalls, so I start in the middle !

The Swiss may well be right about diesel fumes, but I've never locked myself in a double garage for 4 hours with the engine running numerous times a week

M

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    The Swiss may well be right about diesel fumes, but I've never locked myself in a double garage for 4 hours with the engine running numerous times a week

M
    That's a shame ! (Only kidding).

Last edited by Webwatchmaker; 16th July 2019 at 23:46.

That's a shame ! (Only kidding).

M