closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Gold pocket watch

Lightbulb Gold pocket watch

My pocket watch finally surfaced from a storage tub. Photo added. The mechanism works but the hands don't move and the second hand is missing. This was my great grandfathers time-piece, probably his sunday best as it has no scratches and the nice silver chain. Must have looked good with a suit and waist coat.
    On the inside of the front face is engraved;
    XX
    On the inside of the rear (sorry no photo yet) is;
    MOON
    TRADE MARK
    ALD
    DENNISON
    WATCH CASES LTD
    There is also three circular designs, a half moon a sun and a star. My eyes have trouble reading the small detail work so may have some letters wrong.
    Not sure of exact age as this may have been given to my G grandfather by his father.
    It looks like gold plate but cannot be sure. The chain is solid silver.
    Do the two X's denote early 20th century ?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by theylive View Post
    My pocket watch finally surfaced from a storage tub. Photo added. The mechanism works but the hands don't move and the second hand is missing. This was my great grandfathers time-piece, probably his sunday best as it has no scratches and the nice silver chain. Must have looked good with a suit and waist coat.
    On the inside of the front face is engraved;
    XX
    On the inside of the rear (sorry no photo yet) is;
    MOON
    TRADE MARK
    ALD
    DENNISON
    WATCH CASES LTD
    There is also three circular designs, a half moon a sun and a star. My eyes have trouble reading the small detail work so may have some letters wrong.
    Not sure of exact age as this may have been given to my G grandfather by his father.
    It looks like gold plate but cannot be sure. The chain is solid silver.
    Do the two X's denote early 20th century ?

Having done a search online Ebay has a few working and non working examples up for sale. The history is quite interesting from the dennison site.

http://dennisonwatches.com/history/

@MADDOG, thanks for placing my photo.
    Last edited by theylive; 15th July 2019 at 17:06. Reason: addition

Dennison was the case maker and they came with a huge variety of different movements depending upon who put the watch together.
    Any chance of a picture of the movement?
    The watch case is rolled gold so probably can't be dated to an exact year, but most likely from late 1920s into 1930s
    Here is my Sun grade from 1931 (date was engraved on the inner back)

Also just because I like the picture

If you are looking for some info on Dennison, this is worth a look
    http://www.vintagewatchstraps.com/blogdennison.php
    Last edited by animalone; 15th July 2019 at 17:43.

From the vintagewatchstraps.com describing the stamps on the rear case of my model;

'A mark consisting of three symbols, a radiant sun, crescent moon and a star, was stamped on many Dennison cases, including cases made of nickel. This mark does not appear to indicate any specific type or grade of material, it seems to have been simply a trademark.'

Photo to follow later as the watch is elsewhere at the present time. (no pun intended)
    As for a photo of the movement - to follow if I can pry it apart carefully.

A couple of pics of the movement. Apologies for the poor focus. The inside case facing the movement reads;

ENGLISH MAKE GUARANTEED MADE OF TWO PLATES OF 10 0Z GOLD WITH PLATE OF COMPOSITION BETWEEN AND TO WEAR 20 YEARS 810171 and underneath is what looks like 2C

on the movement;

HEXAMETER SWISS

Apparantly this was my Scottish grandfathers better time piece as he wore a cheaper silver coloured model when working on the farm.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by theylive View Post
    A couple of pics of the movement. Apologies for the poor focus. The inside case facing the movement reads;

ENGLISH MAKE GUARANTEED MADE OF TWO PLATES OF 10 0Z GOLD WITH PLATE OF COMPOSITION BETWEEN AND TO WEAR 20 YEARS 810171 and underneath is what looks like 2C

on the movement;

HEXAMETER SWISS

Apparantly this was my Scottish grandfathers better time piece as he wore a cheaper silver coloured model when working on the farm.
    Nice looking movement

I'm not an expert, but I seem to remember that hexameter has some connection to Revue-Thommen who were well known watchmakers at the time.
    Last edited by animalone; 21st July 2019 at 19:33.

According to Mikrolisk, Hexameter is a trade mark of Reichenberg & Cie. of La Chaux-de-Fonds, so a proper Swiss maker by the sound of it. Looks like a nice watch. Hope that helps your research.