closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Looking for a Rolex present to myself. Suggestions up to 4K.

Blog Entries

Looking for a Rolex present to myself. Suggestions up to 4K.

Last Thursday, it was the 40th anniversary of me starting a professional career: earning money for a living. I'd been to the uni to become a teacher but then there was hardly any work for a teacher! So I decided to join the army. I went to the barracks on July 11th, 1979 - and I ultimately became an infantry platoon sergeant. My first job. But I wanted to be a 'real teacher' and so on...

Now, 40 yrs later and semi-retired, I think it's time to reward myself with something nice. My wife and I discussed the various options like a holiday, a dinner at a 3*** Michelin Restaurant and so on. Until she said: well, why don't you buy yourself a Rolex, next to your Sub? That was the best plan of the evening. Since it's my 40th anniversary, I've set a max amount to spend of 4K. There's a limit to what I want to spend!

The first suggestion on my list: Explorer II, the 39mm model. But, I'm more than happy to read your suggestions as well!

Menno
    Last edited by thieuster; 13th July 2019 at 19:38.

Great option. I love the model.

Alongside a Sub, I'd be tempted with a DJ, or maybe a new model Air King if you like the size etc.
    It's just a matter of time...

New or pre-owned?

Sent from my LG-H870DS using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jpjsavage View Post
    New or pre-owned?

Sent from my LG-H870DS using Tapatalk
    Good question. I forgot to add that in my posting. Pre-owned also considered. It will expand my possibilities.

M

For £4K, even the basic OP is out of reach. It’ll have to be ore owned and even then probably OP, Datejust, Explorer or Air King.

Any one of the above us s great choice although personally I’d go for an explorer of the latest Air King.

Grand Master
    Out of the current range, my choice would be the Oyster 36, or 39 if you prefer a bit more size. Both are just the wrong side of £4k.....but not by much. Shouldn’t be too difficult to get hold of too.

Craftsman
    I’m not 100% sure but I think most Explorer ii’s are beyond £4K now. Good choice though if you can get one in budget.

OP is a classic in my opinion, very understated and versatile. I’m sure there will be plenty of choice in the £4K territory

Master
    Blog Entries
    I'd go for a very nice DateJust. It's a special occasion watch so it'd be nice for something you won't wear all the time.

Or,
    If you'd like new, is a 36mm OP above budget these days? I paid £3600 for one five years ago so I'd guess they are around £4K now?

Looking for a Rolex present to myself. Suggestions up to 4K.

I was looking at a freshly serviced TT Oysterquartz today at just shy of £4K.

I thought it a big pricy though!

On MJ Watches there is a 2016 Air King which is just over budget at £4195.

Craftsman
    I’d go and view all the items mentioned by others here, then having settled on your choice look around for a pre-owned example. The quality of these watches are such you will get the same benefit even pre-owned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What size is your wrist? How does the Rolex you currently have wear on you for size? What are you not willing to consider? Two tone etc?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    What size is your wrist? How does the Rolex you currently have wear on you for size? What are you not willing to consider? Two tone etc?
    I already own a 14060 and the size of that watch is more or less perfect for my wrist (and my likings). 1mm larger or smaller wouldn't be a problem, but a 36mm or less and over 41, 42mm would be problematic. I like most styles and dial colours. E.g, a blue dial is okay. A mother-of-pearl not... I suppose that the Explorer II is right up my alley. I like the Air King, but it's too small and I just found out (here) that there's a new Air King I need to check out.

M

Master
    I'd suggest a DJ, smart enough to be sporty, sporty enough to be smart. From an ex rifleman, congratulations on your service.

Craftsman
    The new AK is 40mm so within your size needs but you seem keen on the explorer II.

Quote Originally Posted by CatalystGuy View Post
    The new AK is 40mm so within your size needs but you seem keen on the explorer II.

Couldn't buy a Rolex with the Morrisons colour scheme personally. Would always go for the Exp 1.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Couldn't buy a Rolex with the Morrisons colour scheme personally. Would always go for the Exp 1.
    Airking is much maligned but have to say really nice in the flesh.

Journeyman
    You might have to extend your budget slightly ?

QUOTE=thieuster;5148580]Last Thursday, it was the 40th anniversary of me starting a professional career: earning money for a living. I'd been to the uni to become a teacher but then there was hardly any work for a teacher! So I decided to join the army. I went to the barracks on July 11th, 1979 - and I ultimately became an infantry platoon sergeant. My first job. But I wanted to be a 'real teacher' and so on...

Now, 40 yrs later and semi-retired, I think it's time to reward myself with something nice. My wife and I discussed the various options like a holiday, a dinner at a 3*** Michelin Restaurant and so on. Until she said: well, why don't you buy yourself a Rolex, next to your Sub? That was the best plan of the evening. Since it's my 40th anniversary, I've set a max amount to spend of 4K. There's a limit to what I want to spend!

The first suggestion on my list: Explorer II, the 39mm model. But, I'm more than happy to read your suggestions as well!

Menno[/QUOTE]

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Out of the current range, my choice would be the Oyster 36, or 39 if you prefer a bit more size. Both are just the wrong side of £4k.....but not by much. Shouldn’t be too difficult to get hold of too.
    This would be my choice too, even if I had to stretch the budget marginally.

Blog Entries
    This is a feast for the eye as well, I think! (From the Rolex website)

Wondering why people with no interest in watches are on a watch forum?
    Blog Entries
    Latest air-king is the sweet spot at £4K IMHO

Craftsman
    I would second’ extending your budget. That way you will get the watch you like. No point in settling for second best. I’m still on the hunt for my first Rolex. I won’t skimp on the model nor purchase one off a certain auction site as it could be money down the drain. If it means waiting so be it (just as well as it’s an in demand model!)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mysqueek View Post
    I would second’ extending your budget. That way you will get the watch you like. No point in settling for second best. I’m still on the hunt for my first Rolex. I won’t skimp on the model nor purchase one off a certain auction site as it could be money down the drain. If it means waiting so be it (just as well as it’s an in demand model!)
    Good luck with the hunt, what are you looking for?

Blog Entries
    I'll be off to Maastricht later this summer. Maastricht is the southernmost town of the Netherlands and the most 'mondaine' (Forget Amsterdam, Maastricht is much nicer). Anyway, Maastricht houses 5(!) vintage watch shops with high-end items and two Rolex dealers with new watches. It will be worth the look. And knowing my wife, she won't mind watch-shopping. (After all she bought her Rolex within seconds after spotting it in the window of one of these vintage watch shops).

For now, I'm more and more turning to the blue dial'd Oyster Perpetual. At first I was thinking about the Explorer (as I stated above) but the blue dial is very tempting!

What about a nice Oysterquartz for something a bit different?

You may be lucky & source a 1979 model year watch!
    ______

​Jim.

Blog Entries
    No not a Quartz. Not for the technology, but for the shape of the watch. The '1979-angle' is a nice one! Something new to think about!

Menno

Banned
    Blog Entries
    2018 Explorer 1, Basel version, yours for £4K, full set, 95%. You need to collect from France. Forum gesture.��
    Last edited by Skyman; 14th July 2019 at 18:37.

Master
    Blue dialled 36mm Oyster Perpetual with Arabic markings is lovely. Explorer(esc) in appearance with the sunburst colour behind.

Might also be relatively easy to find.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedy2254 View Post
    Good luck with the hunt, what are you looking for?
    Hi Speedy
    If I could get a Sub (date or nd) from an AD by the end of the year I will be one happy Chappy. There are others I wish to add however I’m being realistic

Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    This is a feast for the eye as well, I think! (From the Rolex website)

That is the one.

Master
    Hi Speedy
    If I could get a Sub (date or nd) from an AD by the end of the year I will be one happy Chappy. There are others I wish to add however I’m being realistic
    Try Watches of Switzerland in Oxford Street if you are near London. I got my DJ41 from there as a result of a random phone call, it may be worth a call. Good luck!

Craftsman
    Try Watches of Switzerland in Oxford Street if you are near London. I got my DJ41 from there as a result of a random phone call, it may be worth a call. Good luck!
    Thanks for the heads up. The big smoke is currently out of my way. (I’m also a carer so my free time is precious - hence the wish to buy a Rolex) I’m already registered to a WOS elsewhere & I’ve heard through the grapevine its counterproductive visiting another branch or even Goldsmiths/Mappin & Webb if you are registered as it will get (wrongly) flagged up as a flipper.

Craftsman
    I had an expression of interest with M&W, but I I made a random call to WoS to ask about a part of the purchase process as I knew that M&W were closed as it was after 1700 on a Friday night & WoS are part of the same group. The sales guy answered the question & asked if it related to a specific piece. When I said rhodium DJ41 he said "I've got one if you want it". I wasn't going to knock that back.
    I'd also made enquiries with WoS in Glasgow (Mark there is a really nice guy to deal with & knew what I was after).
    Having made the purchase, I contacted WoS & M&W to let them know - they both congratulated me on getting one & wished me enjoyment of it. As I got it from a seller within the group, they were OK with it.
    I appreciate a DJ isn't a Sub but multiple enquiries don't seem to done me any harm.
    Congrats on the DJ41..
    I think what I was informed related to some of the SS Professional models, (Sub, GMT and of course Daytona) I’m considering a DJ41 but mulling over dial/bracelet options. Now you have one, it’s more likely you will get other references

Master
    Congrats on the DJ41..
    I think what I was informed related to some of the SS Professional models, (Sub, GMT and of course Daytona) I’m considering a DJ41 but mulling over dial/bracelet options. Now you have one, it’s more likely you will get other references
    I went for stainless steel, rhodium dial, smooth bezel & oyster bracelet. It works for me, as I already have a dive watch & a chronograph. I tried the Submariner but it doesn't look good on me, the DJ fills the gap in my collection between sports and dress perfectly.

Blog Entries
    *Update*: I had a 36mm Explorer on my wrist. I know that a lot of people like the 36mm-size, but it's too small for my likings. So, it narrows down to the 39mm models.

Menno

Craftsman
    Good choice, I love my 39mm Explorer, it does wear a little larger than 39mm in my experience however - just something to consider.

Still love it mind , good luck with the hunt :)

Master
    *Update*: I had a 36mm Explorer on my wrist. I know that a lot of people like the 36mm-size, but it's too small for my likings. So, it narrows down to the 39mm models.

Menno
    39mm Explorer is a great watch. It goes with everything & is tough but subtle.

Menno
    You popping over to France to collect Skyman's? Great gesture from him.

I would second the tt oysterquartz
    Amazing value and something different

Menno
    Menno - the 36mm oyster wears slightly larger than the 36 explorer so worth trying that one as well.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 5avvy View Post
    Menno - the 36mm oyster wears slightly larger than the 36 explorer so worth trying that one as well.
    +1.....I owned a post 2006 Datejust for a while and it wore bigger than the 36mm Explorer 1 which I also owned.

My strong advice is to try the various models on the wrist and keep an open mind, this will be an emotive purchase and you’ll probably know immediately when you see the watch that looks just right.

You might want to check SC for an Exp 1 right now before it goes...

Craftsman
    Indeed, cracking price, it wont hang around!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    +1.....I owned a post 2006 Datejust for a while and it wore bigger than the 36mm Explorer 1 which I also owned.

My strong advice is to try the various models on the wrist and keep an open mind, this will be an emotive purchase and you’ll probably know immediately when you see the watch that looks just right.
    I agree with this. My 114270 is the last of the 36mm Explorers and is almost perfect IMO. Ask me 2 years ago whether I'd own a watch as 'small' and I'd have dismissed it immediately.

I had a 39mm Exp but just found its proportions out of sync, too much dial and bezel. Swapped it for a 14060m (which wears smaller BTW) which I loved but couldn't stop thinking about the simple elegance of the Explorer, so decided to try one in 36mm. IMO, it takes a week to get used to the wearable size of a watch, my Exp is now perfect for me and has ignited a preference for more modestly sized watches now.

I agree that the current 36mm 'Supercase' will wear bigger than they appear and would be my recommendation. Just a tad over budget in 116000 spec, even these are getting harder to source if my local ADs are anything to go buy. The established UK online retailers are now starting to charge over list for these too !