closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Springbars - Beware!

Springbars - Beware!

Received my lovely Sinn EZM1.1 this week and although I love my nato style straps wanted to fit the rubber deployment.

Once resized, with spring bars all over the place and cut rubber scattered over my desk proceeded to re-attach to watch and deployment.

Not the easiest time fitting the rubber strap to the watch lugs but my patience and a little sweat / swearing was rewarded and thank goodness for the tegimented steel case.

Fitting the rubber strap to the deployment was a breeze and once on wrist felt great. And so the next 4 hours it sat securely on my wrist until half way through barbecuing disaster occurred!

The rubber strap detached from the deployment with force on one side (thick rubber under curved tension) and if it wasn’t for my wrist being horizontal at that precise moment the watch would have gracefully slipped from my wrist and hit the patio! I try not to dwell on what damage would have occurred but with heavy sandstone slabs not pretty I’m sure.

Further investigation with the aid of my eye loupe revealed my mistake. A spare lug spring bar had been used for the deployment and although both 22mm, the ends of both springbars were clearly different for lug and deployment.

So word of warning, don’t mix up your springbars, not all equal length springbars are the same!!

Heat from the bbq obviously aided in ensuring the wrong springbar failed when the deployment expanded slightly. Scary as when I initially fitted the rubber strap I tugged very firmly to ensure all fittings were secure.

Hope this helps fellow TZ’ers avoid a potential disaster also!
    Last edited by Chinnock; 13th July 2019 at 18:12.

Journeyman
    Interesting thread - I've just switched my GSG9 to the black rubber and deployant and had similar issues. The watch hasn't popped off, but it was difficult to figure out what went where, the instructions aren't great and yes the spring bars are all different. I found one spring bar much easier (although still lots of trial and error!) to fit, so I assumed I had it wrong at first.

So of waiting for it to pop off now! hideously tricky to fit the rubber to the case though!

I once accidentally mounted a leather strap with shoulderless spring bars from my Rolex on a Speedmaster. I ended up cutting the bars, a €100 strap, and damaging the lugs in a ham-fisted attempt to remove them. Seriously, don't do that.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyfire View Post
    I once accidentally mounted a leather strap with shoulderless spring bars from my Rolex on a Speedmaster. I ended up cutting the bars, a €100 strap, and damaging the lugs in a ham-fisted attempt to remove them. Seriously, don't do that.

When you already have to sacrifice the strap why would you go anywhere close to the lugs?
    You can basically cut the spring bar in the middle.
    I know it’s easy to be clever afterwards though...

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by witti View Post
    When you already have to sacrifice the strap why would you go anywhere close to the lugs?
    You can basically cut the spring bar in the middle.
    I know it’s easy to be clever afterwards though...

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    I tried to save the strap, it was an expensive one, I finally gave up and ended up cutting the bars, afterwards I noticed the damage to the lugs in my first attempts.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyfire View Post
    I tried to save the strap, it was an expensive one, I finally gave up and ended up cutting the bars, afterwards I noticed the damage to the lugs in my first attempts.
    It's always best to sacrifice the strap in this situation. A thin bladed knife to cut along the top of the strap at the spring bar, remove the strap then snip the spring bar.

Craftsman
    Took my Helson (Brass) for swims in the ocean, soon afterwards the springbar failed as the spring rusted away.