closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches



TZ-UK Fundraiser
Results 1 to 25 of 25

Thread: Versatile titanium (or other light material) watches?

  1. #1
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Devon, UK
    Posts
    603

    Versatile titanium (or other light material) watches?

    Evening!

    With the weather getting warm, it is now clear that I don't really enjoy a heavy watch. Both speedy and submariner feel a bit heavy after wearing all day on their bracelets.

    Thinking maybe next watch should be titanium.

    Next watch needs to be versatile, ideally with some good WR and to be worn daily. Datejust/aqua terra esque. Not sure what you call that type of watch?

    Obvious contender is Grand Seiko Snowflake and plan to take a look at one very soon. Any other suggestions/experiences?

  2. #2
    Master
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    location, location
    Posts
    2,511
    What’s your budget and max / min dimensions?

    Zenith Defy? Someone here was selling a gorgeous blue dialled version recently.
    Last edited by gcleminson; 11th July 2019 at 19:25.

  3. #3
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Devon, UK
    Posts
    603
    Budget is max 6k, preferably something in the 3-5k range.

    Diameter 36-42, if 42 then shorter lug to lug the better.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  4. #4
    Journeyman DaveA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Warwickshire
    Posts
    225
    Sinn T1 or T2 - Come with a Soprod movement too (or did) which adds something a bit different.

  5. #5
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    Southampton
    Posts
    403
    Quote Originally Posted by gcleminson View Post
    What’s your budget and max / min dimensions?

    Zenith Defy? Someone here was selling a gorgeous blue dialled version recently.
    Another vote for the zenith defy from me.

    Only issue with titanium is it does tend to pick up scratches / marks easier than stainless steel.

  6. #6
    Grand Master
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Nineteen eighty something
    Posts
    10,990
    The weatherís a bit warm so you need to spend £6k on a watch. Sir, you win the First World Problem of the Year award

    Best of luck with your search.

    Why not not wear your current watches on natos when itís warm?

  7. #7
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Devon, UK
    Posts
    603

    Versatile titanium (or other light material) watches?

    Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    The weatherís a bit warm so you need to spend £6k on a watch. Sir, you win the First World Problem of the Year award

    Best of luck with your search.

    Why not not wear your current watches on natos when itís warm?
    Haha. Well not quite. I am looking to make a watch purchase at some point in the not too distant future; I now think I would like it to be a light watch.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by watchstudent View Post
    Haha. Well not quite. I am looking to make a watch purchase at some point in the not too distant future; I now think I would like it to be a light watch.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I'm loving my titanium GS SBGA041 at the moment - on bracelet. It was on various leather and synthetic straps in the other seasons, but in this weather the stock ti bracelet is superb.

    Despite the really rubbish microadjustment (there isn't any) because of its light weight it doesn't move around nearly as much as my steel Sub and as such doesn't present any where near the level of wrist restriction a moving heavy, steel Oyster does.

    I used to think NATOs and Perlon were the only option for watches in this weather, but it's only the case for 'heavy watches in this weather'.

    All relative though. If your daily is some braceleted Breitling brute then a steel Sub may well feel far more pleasant and lighter in comparison.

  9. #9
    Apprentice
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Location
    Chelmsford
    Posts
    49
    I miss my breitling emergency titanium, the mk1 was a big watch but due to the metallurgy felt light as a feather, almost.

    Not in your price range but a good example of the benefits of weight saving. Got me surfing and looking at the new ones again.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  10. #10
    I'd buy the GS titanium diver on SC if I didn't have a Sub. Serious piece of kit and in a material I prefer.

  11. #11
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    London, England
    Posts
    323
    how about a Tudor pelagos? I keep looking at the blue dial and bezel version and feeling weak.

    Or one of the ceramic cased SMPs, they look fabulous too....I admit I'm a bit of an omega fan.

  12. #12
    Seiko Shogun, light as a feather.

  13. #13
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    111
    No longer available new but what about pam 338?



    Itís 42mm but felt like 40,has charcoal-y dial and gold hands

  14. #14
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    Amsterdam, the Netherlands
    Posts
    117
    I'd be doing this (though I don't have a sub)
    Quote Originally Posted by hughtrimble View Post
    I'd buy the GS titanium diver on SC if I didn't have a Sub. Serious piece of kit and in a material I prefer.
    Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using TZ-UK mobile app

  15. #15
    Grand Master
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Nineteen eighty something
    Posts
    10,990
    Quote Originally Posted by hughtrimble View Post
    I'd buy the GS titanium diver on SC if I didn't have a Sub. Serious piece of kit and in a material I prefer.
    I would have to agree, serious watch! You never know, it might replace the Sub!

  16. #16
    Surely omega planet ocean 42mm titanium is worth a look? I have one and it's fab

    Sent from my SM-G960F using TZ-UK mobile app

  17. #17
    Apprentice
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Location
    North East
    Posts
    65
    Quote Originally Posted by watchstudent View Post
    Evening!

    With the weather getting warm, it is now clear that I don't really enjoy a heavy watch. Both speedy and submariner feel a bit heavy after wearing all day on their bracelets.

    Thinking maybe next watch should be titanium.

    Next watch needs to be versatile, ideally with some good WR and to be worn daily. Datejust/aqua terra esque. Not sure what you call that type of watch?

    Obvious contender is Grand Seiko Snowflake and plan to take a look at one very soon. Any other suggestions/experiences?

    The Grand Seiko would be my pick. I believe their titanium is supposed to be more durable and scratch resistant than most which is a bonus.

  18. #18
    Master
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Cockfosters & Cupertino
    Posts
    2,322
    I think my choice would be this:



    Taken from: https://www.omegawatches.com/en-gb/w...23390412103001

  19. #19
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    London
    Posts
    874

    Tutima DI 300 titanium diver

    How about a Tutima DI 300 titanium diver? The quality of Tutimaís titanium work is rightly renowned.


  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by Dougal View Post
    How about a Tutima DI 300 titanium diver? The quality of Tutimaís titanium work is rightly renowned.

    +1 for the DI300

  21. #21
    Quote Originally Posted by hughtrimble View Post
    I'd buy the GS titanium diver on SC if I didn't have a Sub. Serious piece of kit and in a material I prefer.
    Thatís mine - and itís bang in your price bracket, as well as being a really awesome bit of kit.
    The Ti is hardened too, so less scratch prone. Officially says itís 44mm but absolutely is not. Wears like my Tudor Black Bay, and is short lug to lug.
    Iíd buy that. In fact, why am I selling that!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  22. #22
    I had a Di 300, not sure why I sold it 🤔

  23. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by futon river crossing View Post
    I had a Di 300, not sure why I sold it 樂
    I had an orange one. Looked great and brilliant quality but I couldnít size the bracelet to fit my widests and the clasp dug in uncomfortablly.

  24. #24
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    London
    Posts
    874
    Initially, I had the same thing with the clasp. I removed a link from one side of the clasp, but added a link to the other side. This moved where the clasp sat under my wrist. Moving the position of the clasp made the bracelet extremely comfy.

    Now I find the DI300's bracelet is one of its best features - particularly the rounded links, which are beautifully crafted. It's a pleasure to wear, particularly in summer weather


    notnowkato, is this your watch? It's a great photo.


    Quote Originally Posted by notnowkato View Post
    +1 for the DI300
    Last edited by Dougal; 13th July 2019 at 11:57.

  25. #25
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    232
    Quote Originally Posted by notnowkato View Post
    +1 for the DI300
    Photo of the month , but titanium on paint .....


    Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •