closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Buying an Omega Pie Pan: opinions?

Master

Buying an Omega Pie Pan: opinions?

Dear all,

I am thinking about buying an Omega Pie Pan. I am well aware of the franken Constellations.

What are the opinions about this watch: https://www.chrono24.nl/omega/conste...-id7971188.htm

Master
    Blog Entries
    I wouldn’t buy that watch. Condition looks average, and too expensive

I’m a big fan of the Omega pie pan, be patient something better will come along

Master
    Thanks.

The casing looks not to keen, but I would like to have a white original dail that isn't restored.

edit: what would be a good price? It doesn't have to be the cheapest, as long as it's a good Pie Pan that's well worth.

One of those watches that you really need to buy from a trusted seller, someone like Mike Wood for example.

Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    One of those watches that you really need to buy from a trusted seller, someone like Mike Wood for example.
    +1

"Buy the seller"

Deleted.
    Last edited by AKM; 12th July 2019 at 20:11.

Lovely watches ! You wont be disappointed .

Heres a couple of pics of my 168.010 [IMG] [/IMG]

The way the light hits the indices on the pie pan is stunning.

Good luck with the hunt its half the fun

Master
    ​I actually think the C24 watch is in very good condition, the dial looks right and the lugs on those get worn easily and dont take a polish well, that one still has good clean bevels. Most solid gold ones that age will look worse. I personally would avoid the earliest bumper models like that though and go for a late 1950s full rotor. Or better still a 1960s dog leg. It is way over priced though, by about a grand IMO.
    Last edited by Padders; 13th July 2019 at 10:22.

Grand Master
    Overall, considering the age of the watch, I think the condition is good, but I’d need to inspect the dial very carefully before deciding whether it’s one I would be happy to own.

I refuse to use the term ‘redial’, that’s what you do with a phone. Dials are original, or genuine replacements from the manufacturer, or they’re refinished. Refinished dials are often obvious because the finish or the font isn’t quite right, but often they simply look too fresh. However, given the age if these watches there are examples where dials have been refinished many years ago but have now suffered ageing, and they don’t age in the same way that an original would. These are the harder ones to spot. In my opinion the value of a pie- pan Constellation is influenced 90% by the dial, I’ve yet to see a refinished one that looks truly authentic, usually they just don’t look right.

As for the price, I think this example is way too expensive, especially when the dial is an area of concern. However, I wouldn’t be put off by the bumper movement provided it’s in good condition, it’s a better proposition than the later 501/503 in my experience, but an early 60s 550/560 series is better still and easier for parts. Bumper pie -pan Constellations are rare, and consequently will appeal to collectors, but only if the dial is ‘right’.

I recently serviced an excellent 168.005 gold-capped version with an almost perfect dial, the owner had bought it recently and paid a strong price, but the watch was one of the best I’ve seen therefore the price was justified. The watch looked v. sharp, and made me realise how nice the gold-top or gold- capped versions can be in the right condition.

My advice is to keep looking, and try to handle/ carefully inspect a few before buying. Pictures are fine but there’s no substitute for getting the watch in your hands, those of us involved in the pre-internet era learned this by trudging round antiques fairs and shops.
    Last edited by walkerwek1958; 13th July 2019 at 12:07.

Quote Originally Posted by henk View Post
    I'd go for the Globemaster myself

Sent from my SM-G950F using TZ-UK mobile app
    or this, if you can find one.

Quote Originally Posted by Normunds View Post
    or this, if you can find one.

What reference is that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by mark.wilo13 View Post
    What reference is that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    it's 4531.32.00