closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: An old friend

An old friend

A couple of days ago I dug this out of the safe. My first Rolex- an Airking I bought nearly new in 1997 and wore as my main/daily for many years, in alternation with an old Datejust and a 1500 Date.

Those were the happy days before the disease took hold, when 3 watches felt like more than I’d ever need. This one hasn’t seen much use in recent years and is long overdue a service.

For many years I babied it -very soon after buying it I added the DJ which was in tired cosmetic condition to use as a “beater”. The DJ has been spruced up much more recently courtesy of Brendan and now looks very smart.

A few years in I made the mistake of lending the AK to my then-girlfriend who, over several months, must have contacted every single hard object she walked past while wearing it. I retrieved it before she totally destroyed it but it now badly needs some TLC. And that service.

Even so, I still think this has to be one of the best under-the-cuff and under-the-radar watches I have, out of the hundred-plus I now own. To my mind these Airkings epitomise tasteful and understated rugged elegance. And I don’t care that it’s 34mm!

So gents, my old friend- my 1997 Airking. Snapped just now in a shaded corner of Dartmouth House’s courtyard, and as comfortable here in Mayfair as it has been travelling around countless places far less salubrious.

Apprentice
    Still looks great!

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    I absolutely love that. It’s similar to my Buckley dialled Datejust 1601 which is tucked away. I really should fetch it out and wear it now you’ve reminded me how lovely these dials are.
    I hope you enjoy your Air King for another 20 years

Craftsman
    Looks ageless, superb. I like the AK’s having just bought a new one a few days ago, haven’t taken stickers of yet.

Nice clear easy to read, I hope to pick up some vintage examples maybe later this year especially a 5700.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    I don't remember seeing one of those - absolutely terrific.

Craftsman
    Too small for me but my wife has the same one, as you said it's totally under the radar but IMO a thing of beauty.

Sent from my Moto G (5S) using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Great looking watch Adrian.

Thank you gents.

Funnily enough the chap who came for my last meeting of the day was wearing a modern 116900 Airking. The WIS in me demanded a digression from our terribly interesting discussion about some client tax stuff to compare the two side by side- I’d have loved to have taken a pic of them but he’d have thought I was odd (which I am!) so I didn’t. Interesting to see how much bigger and heavier the new model is- I already have a 214270 Explorer but now want to add a 116900 to the fleet!

Craftsman
    I would certainly recommend a 116900 and yes they are surprisingly heavy but not outrageously and they site very comfortably

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Great watch, beautiful dial. Best of all, no date!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk