closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Mini GTGs...

Mini GTGs...

....are always a pleasure. Especially in my old local.

Pleasure to see you both again Gents!

Grand Master
    Thanks Kirk, I really enjoyed the evening.....even though you dissed my Zenith on the spurious basis of the wonky date window!

3 of these watches have something in common, all fixed by the same watchmonkey

Paul
    Last edited by walkerwek1958; 10th July 2019 at 23:43.

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Thanks Kirk, I really enjoyed the evening.....even though you dissed my Zenith on the spurious basis of the wonky date window!

3 of these watches have something in common, all fixed by the same watchmonkey

Paul
    Nice to see my old Zenith out and about Paul!

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mindforge View Post
    Nice to see my old Zenith out and about Paul!
    Yes, it’s one of my favourite watches thesedays. I wear it on a generic deployant with a nice padded alligator- style strap, suits the watch perfectly IMO.

Kind of regretting the last pint I had whilst waiting for the train...

Craftsman
    Nice selection there.

That Zenith is stunning!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirk280 View Post
    ... with a pickled egg per chance?

z

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainspring View Post

That Zenith is stunning!
    It's a really nice watch ....in the right light! In some light conditions it's not easy to read, the dial's a bit 'busy' and the hands could do with being a bit fatter. It's an elegant watch, dating from around 1999, 38.5mm diameter and around 11.5mm deep, designed before the big watch craze took hold. The El Primero movement was designed in the late 60s to be as slim as practicable whilst incorporating automatic winding and calendar, a design classic IMO albeit with a couple of weak spots. I`m not a fan of high-beat movements (36000 in this one) because I think they attempt to solve a problem that doesn't need solving. However, timekeeping and overall performance on this one's excellent, probably the best watch I own in that respect. My gut feeling tells me that these need servicing more frequently than some designs but I`ve no evidence to prove this.

Second-hand Zenith El Primeros are great value in my opinion, especially when compared to some of the other stuff out there.
    Last edited by walkerwek1958; 11th July 2019 at 18:41.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirk280 View Post
    Me too, took me until lunchtime to feel OK. Owing to the Stalybridge-Huddersfield train running late by 11 minutes I missed the train back to Wakefield/Normanton, had to kill 45 minutes waiting for the next one by drinking more beer!

Quote Originally Posted by zelig View Post
    ... with a pickled egg per chance?

z
    If only mate. I love pickled eggs!

It's a really nice watch ....in the right light! In some light conditions it's not easy to read, the dial's a bit 'busy' and the hands could do with being a bit fatter. It's an elegant watch, dating from around 1999, 38.5mm diameter and around 11.5mm deep, designed before the big watch craze took hold. The El Primero movement was designed in the late 60s to be as slim as practicable whilst incorporating automatic winding and calendar, a design classic IMO albeit with a couple of weak spots. I`m not a fan of high-beat movements (36000 in this one) because I think they attempt to solve a problem that doesn't need solving. However, timekeeping and overall performance on this one's excellent, probably the best watch I own in that respect. My gut feeling tells me that these need servicing more frequently than some designs but I`ve no evidence to prove this.

Second-hand Zenith El Primeros are great value in my opinion, especially when compared to some of the other stuff out there.
    Glad to hear it! Entirely my fault of course as when I bought a new dial for it from LVMH I chose the silver one instead of the black one as I have too many black dialled watches already!

Master
    My gut feeling tells me that these need servicing more frequently than some designs but I`ve no evidence to prove this.
    Watch Roger Smith's lecture to the NY horological society, it's on YouTube, called something like 'designing a practical watch escapement'. He explains how high beat averages out beat errors and increases accuracy but at the price of higher stress and wear, necessitating more services.