closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches



TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 50 of 67

Thread: Chris Ward new releases

  1. #1
    Apprentice Watch_Collector's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    Yorkshire
    Posts
    20

    Chris Ward new releases

    Hello,
    I noticed Christopher Ward have released a few new models. The C1 Moonglow caught my eye.

    What do we think?




    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  2. #2
    Apprentice
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Location
    North East
    Posts
    65
    Quote Originally Posted by Watch_Collector View Post
    Hello,
    I noticed Christopher Ward have released a few new models. The C1 Moonglow caught my eye.

    What do we think?




    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Looks quite interesting. I think I like it...

  3. #3
    Apprentice Watch_Collector's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    Yorkshire
    Posts
    20
    Quote Originally Posted by Reiver View Post
    Looks quite interesting. I think I like it...
    Link to the range https://www.christopherward.co.uk/wa...moonglow-range

    Looks interesting. I canít decide if itís too much of a gimmick or really clever


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  4. #4
    Apprentice
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    36
    Thatís a seriously good looking watch for the price. Were it not for the outrageous lies in the advertising copy or in the paid for review, I would buy one. I have limited funds to throw at such luxuries however and they cannot be directed at companies who lack basic decency. Shame really.

  5. #5
    No denying it... That's lovely.

  6. #6
    Apprentice
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Location
    North East
    Posts
    65
    Quote Originally Posted by Watch_Collector View Post
    Link to the range https://www.christopherward.co.uk/wa...moonglow-range

    Looks interesting. I canít decide if itís too much of a gimmick or really clever


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I agree part if me thinks gimmick, but then I do really like the look of it and itís a bit different.

  7. #7
    Grand Master number2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    North and South.
    Posts
    18,408
    Quote Originally Posted by Watch_Collector View Post

    Looks interesting. I canít decide if itís too much of a gimmick or really clever
    Gimmicks don't seem to do Omega any harm.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Satori View Post
    Thatís a seriously good looking watch for the price. Were it not for the outrageous lies in the advertising copy or in the paid for review, I would buy one. I have limited funds to throw at such luxuries however and they cannot be directed at companies who lack basic decency. Shame really.
    I know itís generally fashionable to have a go at CW here but where are the outrageous lies?

  9. #9
    Master Christian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    London
    Posts
    5,630
    What is their JJ01 movement based on?

  10. #10
    At least the Rapide range has had a giant using the newer branding, instead of the crazily placed Christopher Ward on much.
    It's just a matter of time...

  11. #11
    Master igorRIJEKA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    1,681
    Blog Entries
    4
    With their QC and customer service problems, not my cup of the tea.

  12. #12
    Master igorRIJEKA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    1,681
    Blog Entries
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    What is their JJ01 movement based on?
    Eta 2824-4

  13. #13
    Craftsman jimmbob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Shropshire, UK
    Posts
    494
    Quote Originally Posted by igorRIJEKA View Post
    With their QC and customer service problems, not my cup of the tea.
    If you want a laugh check their recent trust pilot reviews. There’s some good ones there. But their 5 star score has dropped to a 4 very rapidly over recent weeks.

    The Rolex of the internet shouldn’t be having such simple customer service failures.
    It’s a shame as I’d possibly try out 1 or 2 of their watches if knew the after sales side would be competent.
    Last edited by jimmbob; 10th July 2019 at 08:12.

  14. #14
    Master igorRIJEKA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    1,681
    Blog Entries
    4
    Too high score imo. They are more 4,9 company today.

  15. #15
    I think it is funny that people have a go at CW who are doing some nice looking and high quality mechanical watches for relatively low prices especially when so many are gushing over some recent Dan Henry tat because they use a Newman-alike Daytona dial!

    As for marketing copy, I think all brands are OTT, e.g. superlative chronometer anyone?

    I think people need to stop knee jerking and look at the full situation. It is no different to so many brand across all areas. If you donít like them fine. I donít like lots of brand but I donít go moaning about them all over the Forums!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by paw3001 View Post
    I think it is funny that people have a go at CW who are doing some nice looking and high quality mechanical watches for relatively low prices especially when so many are gushing over some recent Dan Henry tat because they use a Newman-alike Daytona dial!

    As for marketing copy, I think all brands are OTT, e.g. superlative chronometer anyone?

    I think people need to stop knee jerking and look at the full situation. It is no different to so many brand across all areas. If you donít like them fine. I donít like lots of brand but I donít go moaning about them all over the Forums!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    👋👋👋👋well said

  17. #17
    Master igorRIJEKA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    1,681
    Blog Entries
    4
    I like them, I own one, but the problem is qc and customer support, not the brand (for me).

  18. #18
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    South East
    Posts
    662
    I've bought quite a few bits from over the years and maybe I've been lucky, I've never had a problem with their customer services- Always bent over backwards to accommodate, nothing ever too much trouble etc.....

  19. #19
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Lake District UK
    Posts
    173
    As far as gimmicks go, that's a nice one. Well done CW

  20. #20
    Master
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Posts
    2,008
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob153 View Post
    I've bought quite a few bits from over the years and maybe I've been lucky, I've never had a problem with their customer services- Always bent over backwards to accommodate, nothing ever too much trouble etc.....
    Likewise. I've had two, no issues with QC or service. 60day return and a 5yr warranty seems pretty good when you look at watches costing many multiples more.

  21. #21
    Master Der Amf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    London
    Posts
    9,875
    I just had a look at the Christopher Ward Forum - multiple threads expressing dismay with the recent / current customer service situation.

    I went there to see if there was a thread explaining the differences between the newly released Mark II of the C65 Vintage and the Mark I. After reading a thread on it, I decided I'll need to track down photos to compare myself, if I want to know how the case is different. I think perhaps it now looks a bit less like the Sinn 556.

  22. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    I just had a look at the Christopher Ward Forum - multiple threads expressing dismay with the recent / current customer service situation.

    I went there to see if there was a thread explaining the differences between the newly released Mark II of the C65 Vintage and the Mark I. After reading a thread on it, I decided I'll need to track down photos to compare myself, if I want to know how the case is different. I think perhaps it now looks a bit less like the Sinn 556.
    I went to their last G2G where there was a few of their watches on show so got a chance to try a few on and compare, what info are you looking for?

  23. #23
    Craftsman jimmbob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Shropshire, UK
    Posts
    494
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    I just had a look at the Christopher Ward Forum - multiple threads expressing dismay with the recent / current customer service situation.
    Agreed. The forum is absolutely peppered with customer service failures. One of the founders actually said on there that they were dealing with the issues. Maybe there will be a turnaround, but as of this morning there's a guy who has started a thread because the 6 emails he sent to customer services have been ignored.

  24. #24
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    South East
    Posts
    662
    Quote Originally Posted by Scepticalist View Post
    Likewise. I've had two, no issues with QC or service. 60day return and a 5yr warranty seems pretty good when you look at watches costing many multiples more.
    Maybe we've both just been lucky!

    Not really had any QC issues, when I've returned bits they've always been quick to respond by email and always been very helpful- Spoke to Katie in their customer services a few weeks ago and she went out of her way to help. Read a few of the bad reviews myself and was surprised considering my dealings with them over the past 5/6 years.

  25. #25
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    Amsterdam, the Netherlands
    Posts
    112
    Pretty sure i saw a moon phase with Lume from Ball on SC a while ago, not that was lovely, far nicer IMO

  26. #26
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob153 View Post
    Maybe we've both just been lucky!

    Not really had any QC issues
    Same here. Have two and perfectly happy with those.

  27. #27
    Apprentice
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    Cambridge
    Posts
    28
    Looks like an interesting watch...still cant get over the horrible new logo though

  28. #28

    Chris Ward new releases

    Great looking watch - I think that for a young brand they are creating some of the nicest watch designs out there.
    As an aside, thank you for brightening my day as it always makes me laugh when I read about the terrible Trustpilot rating for Christopher Ward.
    As of today there are 5664 reviews for Christopher Ward with 81% being 5* and only 7% of reviewers rating them below 3*.
    This from a business that deals direct with the consumer rather than having an AD to take the flak on their behalf - only 43 reviews for Rolex with only 42% rating it as 5* - whilst 31% rate the brand at below 3*!
    I'm fairly sure that Rolex production far outstrips that of Christopher Ward so their customers are clearly not engaging online which bears out my theory.
    In fairness when I sent my new Rolex off to RSC UK for a simple regulation to meet COSC standards (never mind +/-2 spd) it took almost 3-months, never met COSC and came back damaged.
    I'm not sure that anyone could have done worse from a customer service perspective - yet people are giving Christopher Ward 1* ratings for successful repairs that took far less than that!
    I'm not saying that Christopher Ward are perfect (who is?) but they are a growing brand, developing their infrastructure as they grow and offering good quality watches at a fair price - so let's give the knocking a break.



    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by adg31; 10th July 2019 at 12:32.

  29. #29
    Moaning/whinging is the favorite sport of 21st century.
    Just like I am moaning about the moaning.
    I always smile when peoples comment on the Ďdreadful logoí.

  30. #30
    Master snowman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Hampshire
    Posts
    9,431
    Is it just the lumed moon that's new?

    I quite like the look of it, I must admit, but I don't think I'll buy one - I bought a Certina HAQ to satisfy my moonphase itch as I don't keep mechanical watches running on a permanent basis.

    Still, I like the CW, it's not horribly expensive and it looks pretty decent.

    I've had 3 CWs, but only my Makaira dive watch remains. The others were OK, except for a faulty spring bar on a Trident I bought, but CW fixed that quickly, swapping the orange strap for a black one at the same time (I found the orange strap a bit insipid).

    No complaints on service or quality of the watches from my experience.

    M
    Last edited by snowman; 10th July 2019 at 12:16.

  31. #31
    Master
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Between here, there and nowhere
    Posts
    3,325
    Quote Originally Posted by paw3001 View Post
    I think it is funny that people have a go at CW who are doing some nice looking and high quality mechanical watches for relatively low prices especially when so many are gushing over some recent Dan Henry tat because they use a Newman-alike Daytona dial!

    As for marketing copy, I think all brands are OTT, e.g. superlative chronometer anyone?

    I think people need to stop knee jerking and look at the full situation. It is no different to so many brand across all areas. If you donít like them fine. I donít like lots of brand but I donít go moaning about them all over the Forums!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    More horological standard of excellence, which is marketed, it's not just plain marketing
    https://www.fhs.swiss/eng/2016_04_28_01_Rolex.html

  32. #32
    Journeyman RS404's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Norwich, Norfolk
    Posts
    218
    Speaking objectively I really like the design, I haven't seen a full dial moonphase like that before, it's nice to see an original idea. A friend of mine has a Trident and loves it, I've tried convincing him to get something more expensive but he won't have it!

  33. #33
    Apprentice
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Tiptree, uk
    Posts
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    I just had a look at the Christopher Ward Forum - multiple threads expressing dismay with the recent / current customer service situation.

    I went there to see if there was a thread explaining the differences between the newly released Mark II of the C65 Vintage and the Mark I. After reading a thread on it, I decided I'll need to track down photos to compare myself, if I want to know how the case is different. I think perhaps it now looks a bit less like the Sinn 556.
    They are indeed different cases. The new one is based on the current slimmer "light catcher" profile. The mk I was based on the previous trident case. I owned the mk I for a while and it was a nice watch but think the new case is an improvement. In fact I think it is a really good looking watch but I personally couldn't hand over any cash while they are going through these issues.

  34. #34
    Quote Originally Posted by nunya View Post
    More horological standard of excellence, which is marketed, it's not just plain marketing
    https://www.fhs.swiss/eng/2016_04_28_01_Rolex.html
    Sorry but for me it's more the ultimate marketing machine (sorry to paraphrase BMW) rather than a standard of horological excellence.
    When it comes to customer service and based solely upon personal experience I'd take Christopher Ward every time.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  35. #35
    Master
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Between here, there and nowhere
    Posts
    3,325
    Quote Originally Posted by adg31 View Post
    Sorry but for me it's more the ultimate marketing machine (sorry to paraphrase BMW) rather than a standard of horological excellence.
    When it comes to customer service and based solely upon personal experience I'd take Christopher Ward every time.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    That's fair enough, it's your opinion and you're entitled to it. I'm more inclined to go along with The Federation of the Swiss Watch Industry.

    Interesting you say "When it comes to customer service and based solely upon personal experience I'd take Christopher Ward every time." Out of curiosity, compared to which other brand or brands?

  36. #36
    Quote Originally Posted by nunya View Post
    Interesting you say "When it comes to customer service and based solely upon personal experience I'd take Christopher Ward every time." Out of curiosity, compared to which other brand or brands?
    Rolex


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  37. #37
    Quote Originally Posted by nunya View Post
    More horological standard of excellence, which is marketed, it's not just plain marketing
    https://www.fhs.swiss/eng/2016_04_28_01_Rolex.html
    So a industry marketing group talks about Rolexís strengthening its classification of its own watches (not independently measured) which Rolex now continue to call Ďsuperlativeí, now if that isnít marketing guff for a product feature then I donít know what is!

    My comment/example wasnít on Rolex quality which I agree is high but the use of over the top marketing copy which all brands use including CW as it is basically essential in the luxury arena to build a sense of exclusivity or attitude to allow customers to buy into your story!

  38. #38
    In the same vein as using Oystersteel which we are told 'belongs to the 904L Steel family'. Now tell me again how that's not branding?
    Dials 'designed and manufactured in-house, largely by hand to ensure perfection.' No hyperbole there so far as I can see!
    Rolex are amazingly good marketers and have built one of the true global luxury super brands and I salute them for their achievement.
    However let's consider how much of your purchase price is taken up with horological excellence and how much is accounted for by brand building and promotion.
    In contrast the Christopher Ward model is based around (I believe) a 3x multiple of cost to retail so you can see how much is accounted for by the watch and how much on everything else.
    As such, I'd say the new models look like excellent value - which seems to be reflected by decent residuals.



    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  39. #39
    Master Der Amf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    London
    Posts
    9,875
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    I went there to see if there was a thread explaining the differences between the newly released Mark II of the C65 Vintage and the Mark I. After reading a thread on it, I decided I'll need to track down photos
    Mark I:





    Mark II:


  40. #40
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    113

    Chris Ward new releases

    Quote Originally Posted by igorRIJEKA View Post
    Eta 2824-4
    Itís actually based on the 2836.

    The moonphase module is driven by modified gearing for the 2836 day mechanism. Pulling the crown out to the 2nd position, then turning it one way sets the date whilst the other way rotates the moonphase display.

    Itís seems like a simple solution that allows you to simply set the moonphase, without the need to keep the thing perpetually running on a winder.

  41. #41
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    163
    Quote Originally Posted by Darklel View Post
    Looks like an interesting watch...still cant get over the horrible new logo though
    Yep, its the one thing that detracts from whats actually quite a nice watch. The logo and its position throw the dial completely off balance, it just looks off, to my eye at least.

  42. #42
    Master
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Down south jukin
    Posts
    1,764
    Itís actually a very nice looking watch.

    I found the customer service excellent along with the products Iíve bought.

  43. #43
    Grand Master number2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    North and South.
    Posts
    18,408
    I really fancy a new blue dial sports watch, something with a slightly vintage look, not overly large and with standard lug width, were it not for Christopher Ward on the dial I think I'd be "in like Flynn",
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

  44. #44
    Craftsman Arcam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Rochdale, UK
    Posts
    624
    I agree CW make some great looking watches but the Christopher Ward on the dial puts me off.

    Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

  45. #45
    Grand Master number2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    North and South.
    Posts
    18,408
    Just remove the name, leaving the weird dimply thingy, I'd be good with that.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

  46. #46
    Craftsman Arcam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Rochdale, UK
    Posts
    624
    Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    Just remove the name, leaving the weird dimply thingy, I'd be good with that.
    Works for me

    Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

  47. #47
    Apprentice
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    North Yorkshire, England
    Posts
    15
    I agree.


  48. #48
    Grand Master number2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    North and South.
    Posts
    18,408
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisA View Post
    I agree.

    Where do I sign?
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

  49. #49
    Apprentice
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Location
    North East
    Posts
    65
    Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    Just remove the name, leaving the weird dimply thingy, I'd be good with that.
    I agree that would be an improvement, but I don't think the writing is bad enough that it would put me off the watch.

  50. #50
    Grand Master number2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    North and South.
    Posts
    18,408
    For me it's just another example of "if only".
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •