closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Killing Weeds

Master

Killing Weeds

I have just returned back home and as per usual the block paved drive is covered in weeds of a dozen varieties. Also the overspill has gone into the rose bed as well. I wouldn't say that I have a million weeds but it certainly looks like it.

I know that weed killers are not as strong as they once were and I don't fancy removing each weed individually, so can anyone suggest a really lethal weed killer or what about a flame gun type of thing ?

All suggestions welcome.

Blog Entries
    Roundup.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Master
    A friend told me that whilst it used to be strong, it's like pouring a cup of tea over it now a days.

Have you used some recently ?

I've used weedol and resolva recently and killed nettles and blackberry with them.

They've laid waste to an incredibly overgrown garden with ease, i struggle to see how much stronger they could need to be.

Perhaps if you just gave each weed a light spray they might survive but used generously they work perfectly well.

Roundup works perfectly well on my patio weeds, and my neighbours’ Virginia Creeper that they planted directly below my Sky dish.

Cover up with gloves etc. if you are using it.

Master
    Before it gets banned, go on line and get a gallon of full strength Glyphosate and make it up really strong. I put about an inch of the glysophate in the bottom of a 1l spray bottle and then fill up with water. Spray. Wait 2 weeks and should be dead. Repeat regularly. I have a permanent spray bottle made up and easy to hand so if I'm in the drive or garden with a few mins spare (e.g. waiting for SWMBO to stop mucking about and come to the car if we're going out) I'll grab the spray and spend a couple of mins going round. If you keep at it then you only have to do this every couple of weeks.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    I use Nuedorff from Amazon, amazing stuff, weeds turn brown and die off in hours rather than days. Forget Roundup, Weedol etc. they are too weak these days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    A friend told me that whilst it used to be strong, it's like pouring a cup of tea over it now a days.

Have you used some recently ?
    Use it regularly. No complaints, kills weeds.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Craftsman
    Clinic up 360g/l glyphosphate......nuclear strength.

20 to 30 ml per litre should kill just about anything.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by magpie215 View Post
    Clinic up 360g/l glyphosphate......nuclear strength.

20 to 30 ml per litre should kill just about anything.
    Yes that's the stuff. £30 from ebay for a gallon.

Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

Quote Originally Posted by Raffe View Post
    Quite.

It's not great for bees either:

https://www.sciencemediacentre.org/e...on-honey-bees/

Weeds 'wild flowers growing in the wrong place'.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Journeyman
    Yes , Gallup 360 is all you will ever need if you want a super strength killer , I spray the paths and driveway in spring and it lasts the summer , zero weeds . Use in an accurate sprayer as you don’t want this stuff going on anything else. This does stop the need for repeated applications like the usual well known ones.

Master
    I have just returned back home and as per usual the block paved drive is covered in weeds of a dozen varieties. Also the overspill has gone into the rose bed as well. I wouldn't say that I have a million weeds but it certainly looks like it.

I know that weed killers are not as strong as they once were and I don't fancy removing each weed individually, so can anyone suggest a really lethal weed killer or what about a flame gun type of thing ?

All suggestions welcome.

Not sure if they still sell it but Wilko used to do an own brand Glyphosate (the active ingredient in Round up, as far as I recall) concentrate which you can dilute to whatever strength. If you use a pump spray thing, you don’t need to use much. Don’t like using too many chemicals but it really gets the job done.

Master
    There's a lot of misconception about how glyphosate based weedkillers work. Glyphosate needs to be taken down to the roots to kill the weed & for that to happen the weeds need to be growing & not killed off quickly. Using a higher concentration (in a domestic environment) won't do the job any better & may be worse - the foliage dies off too quickly to get the weedkiller to the roots. Nor will glyphosate stop weeds reseeding as it gets inactivated on contact with the soil.

There are very few weedkillers availble on the domestic market (Monsanto & the EU have seen to that) but that doesn't mean the chemical isn't still for sale, it's just not allowed to be described as a weedkiller. One popular one is Ammonium Sulphamate which used to be available from Amazon but seems to be out of stock. You can still get it on ebay though:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/items/?_n...ium+sulphamate

Amazon reviews here:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lancelot-Am...ews/B004MMTVJI

Master
    I use roundup pro vantage at work and if you put something like pistol or chikara in with it it will stop the weeds coming back for a while depending on what they are

Master
    I used my strimmer on the path this year - it did quite a good job of getting into the cracks and I actually found it less of a slog (and much healthier) than the usual pump and spray. And the results are instant.

Craftsman
    Yep Roundup.Use sparingly .It kills the grass around the weed too if You overdo it on a lawn.

There is only one way to be sure link

Fas est ab hoste doceri

Master
    Many thanks for the replies, much appreciated.

I think I will give the glyphosphate a miss, it seems overtly brutal and I would rather have weeds than no bees.

I will give the Roundup a go and give it a second dose a week afterwards and repeat until the damn weeds are deceased.

Journeyman
    I'm pretty sure the active ingredient in roundup is glyphosate. I've also bought the weedkiller from Aldi and Lidl which also use glyphosate as their main ingredient. Does the job and is cheaper.

Many thanks for the replies, much appreciated.

I think I will give the glyphosphate a miss, it seems overtly brutal and I would rather have weeds than no bees.

I will give the Roundup a go and give it a second dose a week afterwards and repeat until the damn weeds are deceased.
    Roundup = Glyphosate

No idea what Glyphosphate is....

Master
    Try not to use Roundup it is glysophate with a pretty name. It will kill pollinators and yourself it has been tied to cancer in humans. Boiling hot water and string trimmers work just as good and don't cause cancer.

Please think twice before using herbicides and pesticides!

Master
    OK I will give the Roundup a miss.

What about a flame thrower thingy ?

Craftsman

Flames will kill plant above ground but leave the roots untouched....so will prob grow back

Master
    Not to be seen rushing to the defence of glysophate, but the issue isn't really with the home user spraying some weeds on their driveway, it's the farmers that spray whole fields to either kill weeds or immature wheat. For example, a couple of weeks before harvesting a farmer will spray his field of wheat to kill off any immature sprouts. If these are left in then it can taint the crop. It's this mass spraying which is the current source of contention. A litre of dilute on a driveway is immaterial compared to a thousand gallons on a 20 acre field!

Journeyman
    Also the cancer link is if you use it for your job on a daily basis and breathe in the mist. Home users should be fine. I found that it was the only thing that killed bindweed.

Ahh, all good then.

Can I spice up my food with it, too?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Raffe View Post
    Ahh, all good then.

Can I spice up my food with it, too?
    Not sure about that one. I'd say probably not but I'd be interested in your findings ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by solwisesteve View Post
    Not to be seen rushing to the defence of glysophate, but the issue isn't really with the home user spraying some weeds on their driveway, it's the farmers that spray whole fields to either kill weeds or immature wheat. For example, a couple of weeks before harvesting a farmer will spray his field of wheat to kill off any immature sprouts. If these are left in then it can taint the crop. It's this mass spraying which is the current source of contention. A litre of dilute on a driveway is immaterial compared to a thousand gallons on a 20 acre field!
    Agreed and unlikely to be bees foraging on a driveway.

Master
    I am 70 years of age, so getting cancer holds no fear for me. We all got to die sometime and I expect to pop my clogs anytime but I don't want to needlessly kill off wildlife whose only crime is to walk around in my garden.

Therefore I have purchased a thing that is basically a long broom handle with a small very stiff brass brush on the end. You scrub it between the block pavings and the weeds come out, roots and all.

I killed off the weeds in the rose bed with a Dutch hoe.

This is how our grand parents did it and if it was good enough for them, it is good enough for me.

I am 70 years of age, so getting cancer holds no fear for me. We all got to die sometime and I expect to pop my clogs anytime but I don't want to needlessly kill off wildlife whose only crime is to walk around in my garden.

Therefore I have purchased a thing that is basically a long broom handle with a small very stiff brass brush on the end. You scrub it between the block pavings and the weeds come out, roots and all.

This is how our grand parents did it and if it was good enough for them, it is good enough for me.
    Good man.

You don’t need to use Agent Orange in a domestic setting.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by j0hnbarker View Post
    Good man.

You don’t need to use Agent Orange in a domestic setting.
    That's 2,4-D....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2,4-Di...oxyacetic_acid

Quote Originally Posted by solwisesteve View Post
    Itself, not particularly dangerous and that and and similar compounds widely sold as lawn weedkillers (garden aisle in local Tesco stinks of the stuff) - the problem in Vietnam was the presence of trace amounts of dioxins (manufacturing impurities) which affected the local population.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ironmonk3y View Post
    Also the cancer link is if you use it for your job on a daily basis and breathe in the mist. Home users should be fine. I found that it was the only thing that killed bindweed.

Yes I think that's the case, regular occupational use will result in much greater exposure than occasional use in you garden, but it's also important to ensure good hygiene and apply sensible precautions.

I use roundup spray on the odd weed in my drive and always use hand protection, try not to inhale when applying and wash my hands thoroughly afterwards.

Simple common sense measures that just require a little thought and don't cost anything.

And the real upside, you get some exercise in the fresh air instead of being stuck in front of telle, iPad or laptop. What not to like?
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by VDG View Post
    And the real upside, you get some exercise in the fresh air instead of being stuck in front of telle, iPad or laptop. What not to like?
    The real upside is that this morning I felt virtuously smug, now a few hours later, I ache in places I never knew I had.

Quote Originally Posted by magpie215 View Post
    Flames will kill plant above ground but leave the roots untouched....so will prob grow back
    What Magpie said.

I use a flame gun after a spray on weedkiller once the weeds are dead. It cleans up the patio and the pathways nicely. There's a lot of it, so a pain to do by hand.

One thing you have to watch though in this hot spell is accidentally setting fire to things. The gun I have is basically a roofer's torch, and it doesn't half produce a big flame front on full welly. I make sure I have a hose to hand, just in case.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pointy View Post
    There's a lot of misconception about how glyphosate based weedkillers work. Glyphosate needs to be taken down to the roots to kill the weed & for that to happen the weeds need to be growing & not killed off quickly. Using a higher concentration (in a domestic environment) won't do the job any better & may be worse - the foliage dies off too quickly to get the weedkiller to the roots. Nor will glyphosate stop weeds reseeding as it gets inactivated on contact with the soil.

One popular one is Ammonium Sulphamate which used to be available from Amazon but seems to be out of stock. You can still get it on ebay though:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/items/?_n...ium+sulphamate

Amazon reviews here:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lancelot-Am...ews/B004MMTVJI
    This ^^^^

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Incredible Sulk View Post

One thing you have to watch though in this hot spell is accidentally setting fire to things. The gun I have is basically a roofer's torch, and it doesn't half produce a big flame front on full welly. I make sure I have a hose to hand, just in case.
    I did this very thing last week. Set fire to some railway sleepers we have in the garden, didn’t realise and came back to a decent size fire........ and because they have oil in them took bloody ages to put out!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was going to suggest a gardener (that's what I use), but it looks like you've made the right choice.

I wouldn't touch any sort of weedkiller.

Master
    The biggest problem with weedkillers is the homeowners who use them. They don't read the label and figure whats a little extra going to hurt and so the problems begin. Given how many pro's vs the average homeowner are using herbicides and pesticides the homeowners out number them. Putting extra dioxins in the environment hurts everyone especially pollinators and to think that they don't leach from your little secure slice of land is completely wrong.

The world ran smoothly without them for a long time but with their introduction like DDT, Agent Orange, Roundup we have seen what these can do to the environment and people.
    My uncle was 82nd Airborne 2 tours in Vietnam with the 1st Cav under Colonel Moore (think Movie) and a purple heart recipient hit with grenade shrapnel in the face as a door gunner on a Huey and Agent Orange ended up killing him. They used to walk through the jungle and fields with 5 gallon buckets and spread it by hand when he came home his skin would get orange and white patches all over it and his hands would grow welts and eventually it got into his lungs suffocating him.

Herbicides are not friendly nor are they choosy they kill anything and everything.

Where is Greta Alabed sorry Thunberg to educate us about man made harm to the environment cased by Dow, Monsanto/Bayer et al products when you need her?!
    Last edited by VDG; 11th July 2019 at 09:34.
    Fas est ab hoste doceri