closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: New Omega Steel and Gold anniversary Moon Watch

Craftsman

New Omega Steel and Gold anniversary Moon Watch

Hey guys,

what do you think about this new anniversary release and it's price?

https://www.omegawatches.com/watch-o...31020425001001

I will be a father in a couple of weeks and I originally wanted to buy the new Rolex batman for the birth of my son and keep it packaged and give it to his 21st birthday. I directly with Baselworld had myself put on the waiting list, but later it turned out that they just continued the waiting list for the "old" batman, so that there is no chance of me getting the watch in 2019.

This new release of the moon watch looks pretty cool. So I am thinking of trying to buy it.

What do you think about it? Do you think it will keep its value?

Thnaks for oyur opinions!

Master
    You may not get much response as there's a long thread already running..

Good morning - I can't see the sense on buying something and putting it in a box for 21 years in the hope that your son is into watches enough to appreciate what you did for him.

Putting my opinions aside for a moment though, I think you'd be taking a risk with the Rolex and an even bigger one with the Omega. At 21 years of age he's going to wear what he likes the look of. A big, chunky black and blue watch may well not to be to his taste. However, the risk of him wanting to wear a watch with gold colouring is even higher!

If you're absolutely convinced that you want to do this then I'd suggest buying an Oyster Perpetual as the looks and materials are simple, elegant and timeless. Or, and this is what I'd do, buy the OP and wear it for the next 21 years. You can then give it to him for his 21st and it'll be so much cooler as it's his Dad's watch that was bought to mark his arrival.

Good luck with your decision :)

I really can't see the point in buying a watch now on the basis that you'll give it to your son in 21 years. I imagine that it'll be a complete anachronism by then and that only die-hard collectors and enthusiasts (and a few old farts) will be wearing mechanical watches.

Master
    Forget about value. If this is about celebrating the birth of your son, ‘value retention’ should not enter into it.
    If you like it, buy it, wear it and enjoy it and then give it to him when he is 21.

Journeyman
    It's hard (in fact close to impossible) to predict what type of watches he'll like when he's 21.
    Best to go for a watch you'd love, wear it for a time, make history with it, then give it to him.

I think he'll perceive it as more "valuable" as it's his father's watch, rather than a watch his dad bought and stored for 21 years

Master
    Blog Entries
    All this rubbish about buying a birth year for your son, daughter, poodle etc is getting on my nerves.

Do you like the watch? If so, buy it, Wear it, and if you still have it in 21 years get it serviced and give it to your son.

Master
    Put the money into a bond for him. When it matures he can decide for himself what he does with the cash. My guess is a mechanical watch wont just be the last thing on his list, it wont be on his list at all.

Craftsman
    Yes that’s the best idea, set up a regular saving scheme to mature when he/she is 21, much more flexible, there might even be more advances in good quality movements by then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wrong question to ask people whose legs turn to jelly at the prospect of surprise watch buy for their wives or children.
    IMO, it all depends on your liquidity. If you can park that money in a watch and not miss it, do it by all means. If there is a more pressing need for that money, may not be a wise thing. 21 years is a long time. If everything is hunky dory at that time, it might just turn out to be a great feeling handing it over to him. OTOH, there is a risk of wrist watches not retaining their charm in such a long time and it may not mean much to him. It sure is a risk.

Craftsman

Bond

Quote Originally Posted by estoban7 View Post
    Put the money into a bond for him. When it matures he can decide for himself what he does with the cash. My guess is a mechanical watch wont just be the last thing on his list, it wont be on his list at all.

Exactly as the above. A lump of Cash on your 21st, let him decide what his priorities are whether that is a car, deposit for home or cocaine and hookers.

Putting a watch in a drawer for 21years and hoping for the best regards any value appreciation is just nonsense. If you want too do it for yourself, fine but I think your son would wish to be making his own decisions and bond allows him to do that.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainSlow View Post
    All this rubbish about buying a birth year for your son, daughter, poodle etc is getting on my nerves.

Do you like the watch? If so, buy it, Wear it, and if you still have it in 21 years get it serviced and give it to your son.

And a nice, awesome even, surprise.

Granted I'm a watchie (I was going to say watcher, like a twitcher, but sounds plain wrong :)) happened to me this year. My dear old dad gave me his PPN, a rare PPN, in such a subtle / off the cuff manner. He's 86 and still very active, but can't be bothered with the fuss of going into town and dealing with people (never really been a people person, prefres precision engineering).

The events unfurled like this:

He managed to pull the crown out of the case, even though they are supposed to do that he couldn't quite re-engage it. I took a look and sorted it. But, he said he wasn't confident that the watch is OK, could I drop it off for him and sort out the service etc. Of course, no problem, he's my dad. Dropped it off, eventually got the quote back for a service and may as well have a valet at the same time. Informed my dad of the cost and I'll pay for it just as a small token of gratitude for always being there for me.

He said, no need to pay the service & valet I've already put money in your account to cover it. Thanks I said, not needed, but appreciated.

This is the bit that got me. My dad (apart from support) has never given me any single material thing, I've always been taught "want something, earn it"

His words "Do you like my Patek?" I replied "yes" his response "When you pick it up, keep it, it's yours now son"

HOW F**KING COOL IS THAT!!

Cool story there,Nunya.

Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    Good morning - I can't see the sense on buying something and putting it in a box for 21 years in the hope that your son is into watches enough to appreciate what you did for him.
    Completely agree. If you'd have done this 21 years ago chances are you'd be handing your son a Tag Heuer Classic 2000 today or Bond Seamaster Quartz, as back then they were popular. Not so much today though.

Who knows what a 21 year old might like in 2040? Something celebrating the achievements of mankind 60 years prior to his birth though is unlikely going to be it.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    Cool story there,Nunya.
    Thank you

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by nunya View Post
    And a nice, awesome even, surprise.

Granted I'm a watchie (I was going to say watcher, like a twitcher, but sounds plain wrong :)) happened to me this year. My dear old dad gave me his PPN, a rare PPN, in such a subtle / off the cuff manner. He's 86 and still very active, but can't be bothered with the fuss of going into town and dealing with people (never really been a people person, prefres precision engineering).

The events unfurled like this:

He managed to pull the crown out of the case, even though they are supposed to do that he couldn't quite re-engage it. I took a look and sorted it. But, he said he wasn't confident that the watch is OK, could I drop it off for him and sort out the service etc. Of course, no problem, he's my dad. Dropped it off, eventually got the quote back for a service and may as well have a valet at the same time. Informed my dad of the cost and I'll pay for it just as a small token of gratitude for always being there for me.

He said, no need to pay the service & valet I've already put money in your account to cover it. Thanks I said, not needed, but appreciated.

This is the bit that got me. My dad (apart from support) has never given me any single material thing, I've always been taught "want something, earn it"

His words "Do you like my Patek?" I replied "yes" his response "When you pick it up, keep it, it's yours now son"

HOW F**KING COOL IS THAT!!

Awesome story! Guess that would be only working if I give him one of the watches that I wear... no PPN, unfortunately ;)

As to all the other comments, it seems to be not taken as a very great idea. Well I don't need the EUR 9.000 it costs and will hopefully not need it in the next 21 years. Valuewise I'd probably be safer in buying a Rolex Stell Sports watch, but at double the RRP at the moment, I just don't want to do that.

I cannot imagine that my son wouldn't be interested in a cool watch like the moonwatch in this collectors box... but yeah, what do I know... he's not even born. ;)

Quote Originally Posted by wild84 View Post
    Hey guys,

what do you think about this new anniversary release and it's price?

https://www.omegawatches.com/watch-o...31020425001001

I will be a father in a couple of weeks and I originally wanted to buy the new Rolex batman for the birth of my son and keep it packaged and give it to his 21st birthday. I directly with Baselworld had myself put on the waiting list, but later it turned out that they just continued the waiting list for the "old" batman, so that there is no chance of me getting the watch in 2019.

This new release of the moon watch looks pretty cool. So I am thinking of trying to buy it.

What do you think about it? Do you think it will keep its value?

Thnaks for oyur opinions!
    I think your son would love to own your own pride and joy that you have worn for 21 years. Other than that I would just buy him one at the time. Two of my sons couldn't care less about watches and the third is very much interested. What's cool to you might not be to your son, especially in 20 years

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Darklel View Post
    It's hard (in fact close to impossible) to predict what type of watches he'll like when he's 21.
    Best to go for a watch you'd love, wear it for a time, make history with it, then give it to him.

I think he'll perceive it as more "valuable" as it's his father's watch, rather than a watch his dad bought and stored for 21 years
    Just to give you extra context, I for example have my grandad's watch that's not worth very much in terms of monetary value.
    However, I wouldn't ever trade for any more expensive watches (even JLCs, Pateks tbh) as it's emotional value it what counts at the end of the day.

Moral of the story, the brand/watch type doesn't really matter. He'll appreciate the watch more that it was yours. So get something that you'd love (could be this speedy of course), wear it wit pride and pass on that passion!

Quote Originally Posted by wild84 View Post
    I cannot imagine that my son wouldn't be interested in a cool watch like the moonwatch in this collectors box... but yeah, what do I know... he's not even born. ;)
    My dad was big into football and probably thought I’d love a signed Nobby Stiles football shirt for my 21st. I never did share his passion for soccer ball though.

Thing is with kids, sometimes you think ‘how are they even mine?’

Master
    As much as I’d have loved a brand new birth year Speedy or Rolex when I was 21, if it’s for sentimental purposes, I’d have preferred the same watch with a few bumps and bruises on it caused by my dad wearing it daily.

Sadly neither scenario for me when I was 21 as my parents a) weren’t/aren’t loaded and b) he was never massively into watches so it wouldn’t have crossed his mind

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    My Dad waited until I was in my 40s before he gave me a watch.

Thrilled doesn’t quite convey my feelings, but it did underline my black sheep status...