closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Trickle charger

Craftsman

Trickle charger

He folks can anyone recommend a decent trickle charger that won't break the bank and actually does what it says!!! I know I could Google it but I'd like to hear real world experience rather than made up reviews on the internet...
    Many thanks

Sent from my SM-G960F using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    I use a C-Tek MXS 7.0.

Very good piece of kit.

Craftsman
    I have Ctek and Optimate, both do the same thing.

Master
    Every 6 months or so Lidl do a trickle charger called ultimate speed at about £15. It looks remarkably like a C tech and many think it is.

They then end up on the bay as below. Not used or bought one but folk rate them.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Car-Motor...42cd1d54c67d1f

Master
    I had the Aldi charger before I got the CTEK. The CTEK can charge my Range Rover battery from totally flat, whereas the Aldi one can’t.
    I guess it all come down to what size of battery you’re charging and how flat it gets.

Craftsman
    CTEK for me also. Lots of cars stored at work Ferrari,Aston etc usually with OEM supplied charger although they are all CTEK on the inside.

Craftsman
    CTEK MXS 5 here, works perfectly. They were also quite helpful when I needed a spare part.

Master
    CTEK - there is a reason that most high end car makers either use them or have a re-badged version. They don't fry your electrics!

I bought a CTEK MXS 3.8 about 6 months ago. Charged my Golf battery up from flat overnight so that I could drive it to a garage to get the alternator fixed. Worked well.
    Dave E

Skating away on the thin ice of a new day

Master
    CTEC for me as well, LR L320 so big battery. I think mine is also the MXS5 which I chose because it also has the range to charge my ride on mower. They have different charging ranges, and some do an AGM battery so make sure that it suits your purpose.

Craftsman
    CTEK is the Industry Standard

Another vote for CTEK here, mine did a great job of resurrecting the battery in the 928.

Craftsman
    Thanks guys ctek it is!!!

My Optimate is now 20 years old and has been operating 24x7 for that entire period. Flawless.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

How about solar dashboard chargers? I have no access to a power point. I read you need to buy one that cuts off when the battery is full, but not all do that so you have to check it daily, which is a pain.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    CTEK are excellent, remember there is a specific model for stop/start batteries.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Another vote for CTEK.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Peter franks View Post
    He folks can anyone recommend a decent trickle charger that won't break the bank and actually does what it says!!! I know I could Google it but I'd like to hear real world experience rather than made up reviews on the internet...
    Many thanks

Visit Theriderbase to find more models of battery that you maybe concern.
    CTEK is the good choice. It is an independent cold-proof bike battery charger.

Blog Entries
    I use an Optimate on my bike. Works well.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Craftsman
    Ctek, optimate or noco

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    I use an Optimate on my bike. Works well.
    Ditto

I had a few issues with Ctek and the last two just packed up on me, despite showing they were operating correctly, I lost two batteries that were completely flat

Have gone back to optimate now which seems to be keeping thing tip top

Quote Originally Posted by Glamdring View Post
    How about solar dashboard chargers? I have no access to a power point. I read you need to buy one that cuts off when the battery is full, but not all do that so you have to check it daily, which is a pain.

Does anyone have one of these solar dash chargers, do they work ok?

Master
    We have 2 Optimates, a Lidl cheapie and a Halfords. All work well, but the only one I use on the Radical SR3 (bike battery) is the higher spec Optimate.

I've had that Optimate for 10 years and am on my 3rd Radical. I've never had to replace the batteries on any of them, much of which is down to the charger IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by Zephyr View Post
    Does anyone have one of these solar dash chargers, do they work ok?
    I asked this a month ago and received no response, so maybe not, and this has question lain in this thread for a week. There is a real need for solar chargers, particularly by those who use RVs, etc, but there are also those who don't have access to outside power points, which is partly the reason I'm looking. My car hasn't been used since last Monday and may not be used until Tuesday because of illness.

I asked this a month ago and received no response, so maybe not, and this has question lain in this thread for a week. There is a real need for solar chargers, particularly by those who use RVs, etc, but there are also those who don't have access to outside power points, which is partly the reason I'm looking. My car hasn't been used since last Monday and may not be used until Tuesday because of illness.
    Ahh thank you. I looked on Amazon at some earlier, there is a lot to choose from and lots of good reviews & not too expensive, might be worth a punt.

If you Google them there are responses, most of which indicate the chargers need to be checked daily or so and turned off if the battery is full. You have to pay to get one that will turn off by itself and need no attention. I found one at £51 but haven't bought it yet.

If you Google them there are responses, most of which indicate the chargers need to be checked daily or so and turned off if the battery is full. You have to pay to get one that will turn off by itself and need no attention. I found one at £51 but haven't bought it yet.

Thank you, I might give one a go.

I tried a solar one a few years ago. The problem was that it just didn't provide enough current to counter the natural discharge of the car's battery. I'm sure that solar cell technology has moved on since then, but so has the current draw of the average car (alarms, keyless entry, etc). You are also at the mercy of the UK climate, which doesn't always provide enough sunlight!

Personally, I use CTek chargers and I have their "comfort connector" hard wired into each car, so I can connect them quickly.

As mentioned, if you have an AGM battery (often used in cars with Stop/Start), then you need a charger that can provide the specific requirements of that type of battery. And if you want to connect a charger to your cigarette lighter socket, then it will need to be one which is always live, rather than only live when the ignition is on.

The solar charges that plug into a cigarette lighter socket are dependent on the socket being 'live' even when the engine isn't running, if the socket doesn't work with the engine off it won't charge the battery.

Ah sorry already covered.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Master
    My Lidl one died this year after 5 or so years, I've just bought one of these: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12V-6A-Ca...n/183830250123

I've tested it on my spare battery and it all seems to work well, I like the battery voltage and charge current indication although my (admittedly also cheap Chinese) clamp meter was reading half the current that the charger was but that might be an RMS thing. Budget £1 and and 5 minutes to put a uk plug on.

I shall probably splice the old Lidl charge leads on to give more reach and better clamps.
    Last edited by Jeremy67; 16th July 2019 at 15:10.