closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Feather-board Fencing Question

Feather-board Fencing Question

Maybe I’m being a bit anal, but here goes.

Just built a frame to put up some vertical feather-board fencing.

If I’m looking from the house into the garden, which direction should the vertical feather boards run to get the best look, thick to thin, or thin to thick?

Don’t fancy knocking a whole load in to decide I should have done it the other way.

Master
    Do you like it smooth or rough? My gut reaction was with the thick ends away from you, i.e. smooth.

Master
    I don't know whether there is a standard way of doing this, but my preference would be to normally view the thick edge of the board, so that you get the full texture effect.

Master
    I’d recommend you start the boards at the farthest point away from the house and have the ‘thin’ end of the wedge pointing towards the house, then overlap the thin edge with the thick edge of the next board.
    This way you have the ‘thick’ end on show and any gaps (of which there could easily be once the boards dry out/season etc) between the boards cannot be seen easily.

Blog Entries
    Best bet, have a walk around the neighbourhood and look at some.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Quote Originally Posted by gmt 16750 View Post
    I’d recommend you start the boards at the farthest point away from the house and have the ‘thin’ end of the wedge pointing towards the house, then overlap the thin edge with the thick edge of the next board.
    This way you have the ‘thick’ end on show and any gaps (of which there could easily be once the boards dry out/season etc) between the boards cannot be seen easily.
    If the thin end is pointing towards the house, isn’t the thin end what you see from the house. Therefore, the thin end, rather than the thick end is on show?

Or am I missing something?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by gmt 16750 View Post
    This - my house is on a slope so they all run downhill but the end of the run is the narrow edge. There are 3 distinct sections (due to gate etc.) and they all run like this and it looks correct to me. I would also say if you are going to paint them do so first as is much easier and you can get the edges covered properly too so if they move with the weather are still fully coloured.

Quote Originally Posted by MB2 View Post
    This - my house is on a slope so they all run downhill but the end of the run is the narrow edge. There are 3 distinct sections (due to gate etc.) and they all run like this and it looks correct to me. I would also say if you are going to paint them do so first as is much easier and you can get the edges covered properly too so if they move with the weather are still fully coloured.
    But how can you have the thick end on show, if the thin end is pointing towards the house?

Start furthest away from the house, thick edge of the board also furthest away. Nail that in place. Place next board (also thick edge away from house) over-lapping the first board by about an inch. Nail this about half way across its width, this will allow each board to shrink / expand on its own and move independently of each other. Don't nail both boards together. If properly anal use a small baton with a nail through and a mark where you want the nail to be in the board and hook over the top of the board so all your nails are in line.

Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    But how can you have the thick end on show, if the thin end is pointing towards the house?

If you walk up the steps (towards the house) you see the thin ends, down the steps (towards the road) you see the thick ends. Looks right to me.

Blog Entries
    Normally the boards are fixed thus...

so will either look like this ...

or this........de[ending which end you start from.

Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    Normally the boards are fixed thus...

That is how mine were done although I like the idea of allowing them to move individually as I have had to touch in some of the edges as they have moved and must have pulled more as screwed through both boards.

Quote Originally Posted by MB2 View Post
    If you walk up the steps (towards the house) you see the thin ends, down the steps (towards the road) you see the thick ends. Looks right to me.
    And if it’s fencing is in the garden, and you really only look at it one way from the patio, should you be looking at the thin end or thick end?

You’re post seem to say thick, but subseastu’s says thin.

Totally confused now.

Blog Entries
    Good points about not nailing boards together to allow movement - though I believe there will be more strength if they are(?)

WRT thick or thin edging facing - I doubt there is a wrong or right way in this case and it will be based purely on aesthetics.

Why not have a look at a similar fence in your neighbourhood and decide which you prefer looking at - the "thick" end or the "thin" end. Then do your fence that way?

I'd go as per oldoakknives diagram with the thin end of the boards are towards the house. The thin end will be overlapped by the thick end of the next board laid over it. That way you are not looking at a series of board ends. Only thing I would do differently as I said before is only nail (no need for screws) each individual board to allow movement of each board.

Quote Originally Posted by subseastu View Post
    I'd go as per oldoakknives diagram with the thin end of the boards are towards the house. The thin end will be overlapped by the thick end of the next board laid over it. That way you are not looking at a series of board ends. Only thing I would do differently as I said before is only nail (no need for screws) each individual board to allow movement of each board.
    Ok, got it now. Many thanks. Also took a walk around and saw other fences, and I agree that viewing the thin end is a more pleasing view.

I’ve already put 16 boards up the wrong way (and starting from the wrong direction) so will be gingerly taking those off (hopefully without splitting them) and starting again.

Master
    I’m glad someone put up pictures, I had no idea what was being spoken about, learned something new today. Ta.

Master
    Round here if there are multiple bays or sections they alternate them.

Master
    The OP has said that he has started from the wrong end, however, if you are right handed you will naturally work left to right - hold the board with your left hand and hammer with your right. It will be awkward to progress in the opposite direction.