closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Boiler gone - Repace? With what?

Master

Boiler gone - Repace? With what?

My central heating boiler (heat only, not a combi) is now obsolete and has to be replaced. With what I ask? Do I have a modern gas boiler or should I go electric heating, or something else? All suggestions welcomed. No rush to change as the heating will not (hopefully) be required until late September/October.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Replace with a Gas boiler, I recommend a Worcester or valiant.
    Last edited by CaptainSlow; 8th July 2019 at 19:00.

Owl1
    Vaillant with a 7 year warranty

I’d say stick with the gas boilers, Worcester Bosch or Vaillant are market leaders and both worth fitting, Ideal are making some better boilers again and some of their range come with a 10 year warranty as standard.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Master
    With renewables in the ascendant then it's tempting to suggest ground source heat pump. Surely the difference between electricity and fossil fuels is only going one way.

Quote Originally Posted by Owl1 View Post
    Vaillant with a 7 year warranty
    Just last week had one fitted £850. all in.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    £ 850 all in fitted ? Was there any dents on it where it'd fallen off the back of a lorry perhaps ??

Master
    Blog Entries
    So he supplied the boiler and fitted it for free 😄

Craftsman
    A lot of plumbers I know have moved away from Vailiant and Worcester. I have just had a ideal vogue max combi fitted, not cheap but hopefully worth it. Boiler has stainless steel heat exchanger and a 12yr warranty

My next Gas boiler would be an Intergas , it has Open therm tech built in which a lot of the smart thermostats support too.

10 year warranty too.

Quote Originally Posted by reggie747 View Post
    £ 850 all in fitted ? Was there any dents on it where it'd fallen off the back of a lorry perhaps ??
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainSlow View Post
    So he supplied the boiler and fitted it for free 
    Lolz, some of us don't get our legs lifted, Ian looks after all our rentals, an annual gas check and boiler service is less than £50.00

Craftsman
    Please don’t use £850 fully fitted as a guide, as pointed out most good boilers cost £850 at least for a good output.

The type of building or part-building and the nature and pattern of usage are likely to be relevant factors.

For example I have an Edwardian house in London divided into two maisonettes, one of which I use for typically between 1-5 nights per month, as I live overseas. The building has solid brick walls which we’ve insulated from the inside and is double glazed. If I relied on central heating alone I’d have the choice between heating it while I’m away at great cost, or returning to a freezing house in winter which would take quite a few hours to warm up, or possibly resorting to some sort of smart remote control system. As it is, I use an Everhot electric heat storage cooker which keeps the kitchen warm and the entire maisonette aired and at a temperature where, even if I arrive with snow on the ground, I can fire up the (gas) central heating, go out for dinner, and return to a comfortable home.

Worth asking as some people do work away or divide time between different homes.

Lolz, some of us don't get our legs lifted, Ian looks after all our rentals, an annual gas check and boiler service is less than £50.00
    Which model did you get installed?

Quote Originally Posted by eagletower View Post
    Which model did you get installed?
    Alpha e tec28, 7 Yr warranty, into a Victorian cottage.

Master
    Blog Entries
    We have a Viessmann. Had it around 7 years with no probs. Stainless steel heat exchanger.

its not a Vaillant, in the post you quoted the poster has mentioned a valiant to which you quoted , you had one flitted £850 last week. Secondly they retail for around £750 so he charged you £100 for fitting? You can sure as hell bet he didn’t power flush the system for that .

It’s not a realistic install price- no one else is getting bent over by paying over £100 for install.

its not a Vaillant, in the post you quoted the poster has mentioned a valiant to which you quoted , you had one flitted £850 last week. Secondly they retail for around £750 so he charged you £100 for fitting? You can sure as hell bet he didn’t power flush the system for that .

It’s not a realistic install price- no one else is getting bent over by paying over £100 for install.
    Indeed it isn't, my error and profound apologies, the charge per invoice, boiler £550.
    Fitting £300. now I understand that you're desperate to make a point from the edgy tone of your post and whilst you may be gas engineer and feel that somehow its your duty challenge the installation costs, I am simply the landlord and am hardly qualified to take part in your argument, reading the install guide confirms that its been flushed as per BS7593.

Indeed it isn't, my error and profound apologies, the charge per invoice, boiler £550.
    Fitting £300. now I understand that you're desperate to make a point from the edgy tone of your post and whilst you may be gas engineer and feel that somehow its your duty challenge the installation costs, I am simply the landlord and am hardly qualified to take part in your argument, reading the install guide confirms that its been flushed as per BS7593.
    Edgy tone? Don’t be so sensitive.

PS I am not a gas engineer. However even without being one , charging 300 quid to install a boiler abandoned flush an old system considering the cost of just the chemicals doesn’t make your plumber much if any money. He’s either doing it for pocket change, or not doing it what he’s stated or you’re being liberal with the truth
    Last edited by eagletower; 8th July 2019 at 23:09.

Edgy tone? Don’t be so sensitive.

PS I am not a gas engineer. However even without being one , charging 300 quid to install a boiler abandoned flush an old system considering the cost of just the chemicals doesn’t make your plumber much if any money. He’s either doing it for pocket change, or not doing it what he’s stated or you’re being liberal with the truth
    Have a good evening.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy67 View Post
    With renewables in the ascendant then it's tempting to suggest ground source heat pump. Surely the difference between electricity and fossil fuels is only going one way.
    When I replaced the gas boiler in my previous house with a new Vailiant gas boiler the job cost £1800.
    The GSHP in my new ECO house cost £12,000 to install.
    A service by Vailiant was £70. For the heat pump its £395!

Master
    Blog Entries
    I’d keep a bucket under the boiler if I were you.

Seriously.

Owl1
    Good deal . I have had 2 fitted over the years (in separate houses obviously ) never had a problem ..Touch wood .

Had mine changed today. Baxi 630. Nearly £2k in all
    https://postimg.cc/GHmL2sjb

Have you considered an Air Source heat pump system and using PV or Economy 7 to power it. Gas is sooo 20th Century plus it's Planet friendly

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Master
    Replace with a Gas boiler, I recommend a Worcester or valiant.
    This, I was quoted c. 2k for new boiler, fitted and system flush recently.

At 17 years old, its just a matter of time before our boiler packs up and I wanted a heads up re likely replacement costs. Hopefully it will go another couple of years yet but I’m not holding my breath!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JeremyO View Post

At 17 years old, its just a matter of time before our boiler packs up and I wanted a heads up re likely replacement costs. Hopefully it will go another couple of years yet but I’m not holding my breath!
    Should have called Ian

Quote Originally Posted by mart broad View Post
    Should have called Ian
    Ian has done two gas certificates for us today

PS I am not a gas engineer.
    Sorry to be so anal, but I studied at university for 4 years to get an engineering degree. And then it took me 9 years practising to become chartered.

The guy/gal who fits you boiler is a not an engineer.

Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    Sorry to be so anal
    That’s o.k everyone has the right to be shitty now and again.

Master
    Well folks, after discussion, it seems that my boiler was ruined by a faulty fitting of parts by the service engineer. The company have agreed to install a brand new equivalent boiler (Worcester) free of charge! Result! Thanks to all for input!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Free boiler. Is Ian fitting it?

Master
    Sorry to be so anal, but I studied at university for 4 years to get an engineering degree. And then it took me 9 years practising to become chartered.

The guy/gal who fits you boiler is a not an engineer.

I think that argument was lost years ago. Lots of people using the term engineer these days, I think it’s up to the Chartered Engineers to call themselves “Chartered Engineers” and stop trying to own exclusive rights to a word which the general public understand in its wider sense.

Craftsman
    The guy/gal who fits you boiler is a not an engineer
    I feel the same way, 4 years studying electronics engineering! The others are glorified technicians.

Quote Originally Posted by tixntox View Post
    Well folks, after discussion, it seems that my boiler was ruined by a faulty fitting of parts by the service engineer. The company have agreed to install a brand new equivalent boiler (Worcester) free of charge! Result! Thanks to all for input!
    That’s a result, how or who determined that a faulty part caused the demise?

My parents just had an ASHP system fitted, works a treat and about £1600 per annum received in RHI payments for the next 7 years.

Recently had a Baxi fitted at my gas safe bloke's recommendation = £1800. Yearly service = £80

Replaced an eight year old Worcester Bosch that had a cracked heat exchanger.

Modern combi's don't seem to last as long as the old inefficient models.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

My Speedmaster website:

http://www.freewebs.com/neil271052

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post
    Recently had a Baxi fitted at my gas safe bloke's recommendation = £1800. Yearly service = £80

Replaced an eight year old Worcester Bosch that had a cracked heat exchanger.

Modern combi's don't seem to last as long as the old inefficient models.
    Worcester heat exchangers have a ten year warranty.

Quote Originally Posted by tixntox View Post
    My central heating boiler is now obsolete and has to be replaced. With what I ask?
    Replace it with a Corby trouser press?

Or maybe a Kenwood Chef, perhaps?

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Leeds View Post
    Worcester heat exchangers have a ten year warranty.
    They didn’t 8 years ago.

Master
    I’d keep a bucket under the boiler if I were you.

Seriously.
    Sorry but I have to agree, had a (not inexpensive) Alpha boiler fitted and had nothing but issues with it, finally we’d had enough and had it ripped out & a Viessmann boiler installed a good while back - not one hint of trouble since and a 10yr warranty gives peace of mind anyways, but I guess in threads like this you just gets lots replies of what people have got/had fitted themselves (kinda like just exactly what I’ve just done...)
    Great result for the OP!
    Last edited by gmt 16750; 6th August 2019 at 19:46.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JeremyO View Post

Some of the older boilers last far longer than the newer ones, cast iron exchanger may not be the most efficient but last.
    When we moved in to our latest property 2011 I asked my boiler man to price up a new one.
    He replied this will go forever or as long as the spares are available, still running sweetly.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    They didn’t 8 years ago.
    Mine did - fitted in 2010 and heat exchanger replaced under warranty in spring 2018. I just had to pay a fixed labour charge of £120 and they actually replaced quite a number of unrelated parts free of charge as they guarantee the boiler against any fault for a month or two after the repair has been completed.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    They didn’t 8 years ago.
    I'm pretty sure the WB3 and WB5 did.

I had an Ideal Logic Boiler fitted in February, most of the components are the same as a Bosch, for a lot less £££'s. Very pleased with it!