closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Smart gas meter. Do I want one or need one?

Blog Entries

Smart gas meter. Do I want one or need one?

Apparently, British Gas are in my area next week, and have an engineer who will have time to fit me a smart meter.

Do I want one, or need one?

Opinions from the hive mind appreciated.
    Last edited by oldoakknives; 8th July 2019 at 19:04.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Yes they can be useful but ensure they are fitting a gen2 unit so it will still work if you switch suppliers. Are they doing the electric meter at the same time?

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

of no use whatsoever to the end user , all they do is give a visual aid to people on low incomes whether they can freeze to death or starve.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pugster View Post
    of no use whatsoever to the end user , all they do is give a visual aid to people on low incomes whether they can freeze to death or starve.
    Sounds a bit crude but is actually pretty close to current reality for the less prosperous.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Arcam View Post
    Yes they can be useful but ensure they are fitting a gen2 unit so it will still work if you switch suppliers. Are they doing the electric meter at the same time?

Errmmm, didn't say in the text! It does say "If anybody in your home relies on mains powered medical equipment, please add .Yes' (sic) to your reply as we will still need to work on your electric meter."

Blog Entries
    It was my first thought I must admit!

Bang on the money.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I wouldn’t,not least for the story’s of problems after fitting.

Everyone should be getting SMETS2 now (ie you stay smart when swapping supplier)

Time of use tariffs are on their way....

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    Bang on the money.
    Talking of which there's also the cost of installing them that gets passed on to all the customers regardless of whether they have one installed.

Since the smart meters (as any other IoT) can be accessed remotely there are also privacy and security considerations, plenty of info about it is on the web.
    Last edited by VDG; 8th July 2019 at 22:31.
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

Craftsman
    Don't do it... it's of no value to you whatsoever but it will be very lucrative for them... as has been said smart use tariffs are on their way and we definitely won't benefit from that... plus it's a data harvesting device so they can sell all your information on at a profit...

Sent from my SM-G960F using TZ-UK mobile app

I had mine fitted last year as I didn’t know better and I still have to submit meter readings as according to them the auto readings worked for a few months and they are no longer getting but ... they weren’t interested in finding out why?

Blog Entries
    I'm beginning to think I might just ignore the text tbh.

I find the electricity consumption portion of the meter very useful and it was an eye opener for my wife, I could justify turning all the lights off she left on

I rejected having one fired at my old property, my new house (40 year old) has the Gen1 meters installed already.

Last edited by Arcam; 9th July 2019 at 08:27.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I have a Gen 1 device fitted. I don't bother with the display telling you how much you are using and the daily cost, but I do enjoy not having to read the meter. But this convenience is a disincentive to change supplier so I will be pleased when a Gen 2 system is fitted.

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by JonRA View Post
    I have a Gen 1 device fitted. I don't bother with the display telling you how much you are using and the daily cost, but I do enjoy not having to read the meter. But this convenience is a disincentive to change supplier so I will be pleased when a Gen 2 system is fitted.

I have a gen1 so does that mean I can’t change supplier?

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by IAmATeaf View Post
    You can change supplier but may lose the smart functionality

The day they tell me I'm going to be cut off unless I have one will be the day I'll agree to a smart meter. We all know energy costs money and so we use it in that light. We have these amazing devices in our heads called a brain, it's capable of processing stuff like this.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    The day they tell me I'm going to be cut off unless I have one will be the day I'll agree to a smart meter. We all know energy costs money and so we use it in that light. We have these amazing devices in our heads called a brain, it's capable of processing stuff like this.
    Too darn right. I'm sure most sensible people are already doing their best to save energy where ever they can. For example, having a display telling me that it's costing me 30p an hour to run the clothes dryer isn't going to make me rush over and turn the thing off... I'm not keen on wearing wet clothes. If it was possible to hang the wet washing outside on the line then we already do that!

Did you hear the news programme a few weeks ago which was showing, on average, users that have these 'app' based systems where they can control the heating from their phone were actually spending MORE (on average) than those consumers without this feature?

Journeyman
    A good rule of thumb somebody once told me is - when in doubt, the answer is probably no (even though we secretly hope everybody else will say yes). :)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by solwisesteve View Post
    Too darn right. I'm sure most sensible people are already doing their best to save energy where ever they can. For example, having a display telling me that it's costing me 30p an hour to run the clothes dryer isn't going to make me rush over and turn the thing off... I'm not keen on wearing wet clothes. If it was possible to hang the wet washing outside on the line then we already do that!

Did you hear the news programme a few weeks ago which was showing, on average, users that have these 'app' based systems where they can control the heating from their phone were actually spending MORE (on average) than those consumers without this feature?
    I have some electricity munching machinery in the workshop, so don't really want a running commentary on what I'm using! Although the missus might see how much her endless pool costs to run

Quote Originally Posted by hrvoje View Post
    A good rule of thumb somebody once told me is - when in doubt, the answer is probably no (even though we secretly hope everybody else will say yes). :)
    Reckon you're right. I'll pass on it this time I think

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    Apparently, British Gas are in my area next week, and have an engineer who will have time to fit me a smart meter.

Do I want one, or need one?

Opinions from the hive mind appreciated.
    I was getting such texts every week or so for about 6 months. It was very irritating. In the end I phoned the number & told them to stop bothering me

Journeyman
    I wouldn't bother. I have now had 2 smart electric meters fitted and 1 smart gas.
    None of which were particularly smart and I was getting occasional estimated readings for the gas.
    I still upload my meter readings monthly for my new supplier. Not an easy job as I find them harder to read than the traditional type.

Master
    avoid like the plague is my opinion, they are badly designed (down to a price), insecure and have the facility to interrupt your supply on command (electric anyway). It may be paranoid but I'm loath to let anyone have that much control over my house and life.
    If they want to cut me off, they can send someone out to do it the old fashioned way.

Master

I read an article regarding this, seems if you have the ability to turn on the heating before you get home you do, probably sooner than you need and it’s possible that you might not have bothered anyway when you get home, I have seen an “smart” kettle that can be controlled from the phone, now that is a good idea.
    Better still if it could pour a brandy to go with coffee too.

Master
    I’m in the “No and no” camp myself.

The idea of a benevolent utility company sounds like an oxymoron to me.

Quote Originally Posted by PhilT View Post

^^^^This
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by PhilT View Post

Exactly! Variable tariffs charging more at peak times is what it's about.

Avoid like the plague!!

One good thing about the Tories is that they changed the law on smart meters from 'mandatory' to 'optional'...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 33JS View Post

One good thing about the Tories is that they changed the law on smart meters from 'mandatory' to 'optional'...
    Was it ever a law?

Quote Originally Posted by IAmATeaf View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JonRA View Post
    You can change supplier but may lose the smart functionality

I have a gen 1 and have changed supplier since the meter was fitted. The main thing that we lost was the automatic sending of readings. The smart meter display still works though, just as it did before. The calculated costs aren't quite right, as the display picked up tariff details from the previous provider, and the thing is still using that data, and I can't change it. It isn't a million miles out though.

I can see the meter readings on the internal display, which means I can read the meters from the comfort of my desk chair without having to squeeze down the side of the garage.

I find the smart meter display generally useful - we have a fairly big energy usage, with an electric AGA and a reasonably big gas boiler, so I can see at a glance when stuff is running when we don't need it. The AGA in particular uses an obscene amount of electricity if you have the ovens on full together with the hotplates. I can run round and just turn it off when the display flashes red!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Incredible Sulk View Post
    The AGA in particular uses an obscene amount of electricity if you have the ovens on full together with the hotplates. I can run round and just turn it off when the display flashes red!
    Cold cuts for tea that night then :-)

Grand Master
    I'm sat in the living room watching tv,my Wife will sit in the conservatory doing same,both with iPad and laptops,if the grandkids are here we will have possibly 3 other tv's on!!.What would one of these boxes tell me that I'm not already aware off!!.

We/You will consume whatever is required to do whatever your wanting to do,we all know turning something off will be using less power......don't we?.
    Last edited by P9CLY; 10th July 2019 at 16:51.

Quote Originally Posted by P9CLY View Post
    I'm sat in the living room watching tv,my Wife will sit in the conservatory doing same,both with iPad and laptops,if the grandkids are here we will have possibly 3 other tv's on!!.What would one of these boxes tell me that I'm not already aware off!!.

We/You will consume whatever is required to do whatever your wanting to do,we all know turning something off will be using less power......don't we?.
    Point well made but that isn’t the point of smart meters.

Smart meters allow your supplier to offer you a time of use tariff. In one of those, ultimately, energy between 6pm and 7pm will be more expensive.

Whilst not advocating putting the tumble dryer on after you go to bed, it may make some put it on later in the evening.

Then the uk peak load will come down meaning we need less power stations.

Less power stations means less co2 etc etc

So it is jam tomorrow (or 2020 to be closer)

Master
    We had one fitted last year.

I unplugged the internal display as it was too depressing!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TAG0001 View Post
    Point well made but that isn’t the point of smart meters.

Smart meters allow your supplier to offer you a time of use tariff. In one of those, ultimately, energy between 6pm and 7pm will be more expensive.

Whilst not advocating putting the tumble dryer on after you go to bed, it may make some put it on later in the evening.

Then the uk peak load will come down meaning we need less power stations.

Less power stations means less co2 etc etc

So it is jam tomorrow (or 2020 to be closer)

That's certainly sprinkling sugar on it! With the instability of our grid combined with shutting down reliable power stations we will be forced through pricing to make up for the shortfalls.

Think your tumble dryer at night will be cheaper when people will be charging EV's overnight? The overnight prices will 'rocket'!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 33JS View Post
    That's certainly sprinkling sugar on it! With the instability of our grid combined with shutting down reliable power stations we will be forced through pricing to make up for the shortfalls.

Think your tumble dryer at night will be cheaper when people will be charging EV's overnight? The overnight prices will 'rocket'!
    Good point... if the penetration of EV vehicles happens the way it's proponents want, then over night electric demands will go ape. Especially as that's when all the roof top solar panels won't be working as well.

Master
    I have both for a couple of years ago. Since it's a government mandate that all energy suppliers will have to fit them eventually anyway.

I don't use the wireless monitor, as the battery lasts a day at most and I have to use more of my electricity to charge up their monitor.

It has nothing to do with the end user, it does not save you money, as you still use what you use.

The smart meters are there to prevent energy suppliers wildly over estimating / billing people, with the bullying of "pay up or you're cut off, NO we are always right" etc.

Some may use the monitoring as a guide to cutting back themselves I guess. By comparing daily readings, if they are particularly anal and have way too much spare time on their hands.

Quote Originally Posted by nunya View Post
    I have both for a couple of years ago. Since it's a government mandate that all energy suppliers will have to fit them eventually anyway.

I don't use the wireless monitor, as the battery lasts a day at most and I have to use more of my electricity to charge up their monitor.

It has nothing to do with the end user, it does not save you money, as you still use what you use.

The smart meters are there to prevent energy suppliers wildly over estimating / billing people, with the bullying of "pay up or you're cut off, NO we are always right" etc.

Some may use the monitoring as a guide to cutting back themselves I guess. By comparing daily readings, if they are particularly anal and have way too much spare time on their hands.

you dont have to get one /nor will you be forced into one (currently) - there is no legal obligation to get one fitted .
    *afaik the only government mandate is that suppliers have to offer them by 2020.
    Last edited by pugster; 11th July 2019 at 13:12.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by nunya View Post

An interesting take on the subject.

An interesting take on the subject.
    It is actually a very accurate comment. Suppliers can and do get fined if they bill on too many estimates, especially if there is a smart meter in situ

This is then graph that smart meters will hope to reduce/flatten etc IMG_9772.JPG

Taken from gridwatch.co.uk