closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alcohol free beer

Craftsman

Alcohol free beer

After a bit of surgery I have been advised to avoid alcohol for a while :-( so have been trying the various alcohol free beers in my local.

The best I can give any of them is 6/10 for a bottled bitter called "Ghost Ship" It tastes ok but just seems to be lacking something (alcohol perhaps!)

While I am happy to remain dry at home, sitting in the juicer sipping orange juice just doesn't track right so I thought I would call upon the TZ massive to share their experience and see if there is an alcohol free beer that actually tastes like beer?

On the plus side I have lost almost a stone since knocking it on the head so I suppose there's some good in everything!

I take a few nights off alcohol every week and I've tried most of them, and none of them taste great.

I prefer IPA/light ale or amber normal beer but I found that Free Damm (from Malta, weirdly) and Bavaria 0% lagers aren't too bad, and I usually do a half and half with Brew Dog Punk AF, an IPA-type 0% beer. All from Sainsbury's.

The Becks and Heineken were horrible – like stale water.

I only do two cans before dinner then stick to Earl Grey tea after, but it gets me through

And I should add, good luck with the recovery

I realise this isn't in strict accordance with your request, but on my self-enforced 'beer free' days I have a Tonic and Tonic (ie a Gin and Tonic, but with no gin).

All served with the usual ceremony attached, nice glass, plenty of ice, wedge of lemon, wedge of lime just missing the actual gin. Somehow it tricks my brain into thinking I am still enjoying an lovely after-works drink, but without the alcohol.

I have yet to find an alcohol free beer which I would actually chose to drink I am afraid. They are getting better, but still have a way to go yet, particularly as I am at the dark/heavy stouts and porters end of the beer-sipping spectrum.

recently I had to abstain alcohol for couple of weeks for the same reason as you and tried Kronenbourg 1664 blanc. It was surprisingly good and very similar to regular beer.

Quote Originally Posted by Normunds View Post
    recently I had to abstain alcohol for couple of weeks for the same reason as you and tried Kronenbourg 1664 blanc. It was surprisingly good and very similar to regular beer.

If you were drinking that you weren't abstaining – 5% alcohol in those

Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    I just grabbed first picture from web :) alcohol free bottle design is quite similar.

I had a spell off the hooch a little while back and tried various alcohol free stuff. Most of it's pretty grim.

That said, Cobra Zero isn't bad so long as it's served cold and used to wash down a curry. The best one I found of them all was Bitburger Drive, which isn't the easiest to get hold of but does actually bear a passing resemblance to beer. Worth searching for.

Cheers,

Plug

I cheat a little insomuch as I make a 'lager and lime' using the Bavaria 0% with a small dash of lime, we'll it works for me.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Master
    I've been drinking Brewdog Nanny State recently and while not terrible I got a bit bored with it. Didn't realise they did an AF Punk - will keep an eye out.

Erdinger Weissbräu which the bloke in Waitrose recommended was absolutely foul - tasted of soap!

I'm also on the hunt so if I stumble on any other decent ones I'll update here.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I drink Becks blue now and then. The trick is that after 2 of them you don’t want another.

I was in Spain last month and tried some of their stuff - tasted much more authentic. Either that or the waiter was taking the Mick and giving me real pints.

Master
    The packaging says 5% alcohol which probably explains why you enjoyed it so much!! (Or were you joking?!)

Non-Alcoholic beer, a bit like going down on your Sister - It tastes the same but you know it's all kind of wrong! BOOM BOOM

Quote Originally Posted by David_D View Post
    The packaging says 5% alcohol which probably explains why you enjoyed it so much!! (Or were you joking?!)
    Please read my response above, their bottle design for alcohol free version is very similar.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    Great try though!

Generally speaking if I'm abstaining I'm happy enough to just go without beer but I've also found the Bavaria 0% lager to be ok. If its nice and cold its quite refreshing. Normally had enough after one or two of the little cans though

David

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by gilford View Post
    Non-Alcoholic beer, a bit like going down on your Sister - It tastes the same but you know it's all kind of wrong! BOOM BOOM
    A bit like the golfing phrase a "Sister in Law" used after hitting a lousy shot that somehow gets on the green, you may be up there but you know you shouldn't be!

Master
    I just grabbed first picture from web :) alcohol free bottle design is quite similar.
    Whoops, missed that!!

Master
    Tried a Peroni alcohol free recently and that was pretty acceptable.

The German ones are usually good too. They do need to be well chilled though.

Tried an “Infinite Session” IPA recently at a BBQ as I was driving and it was rank! Mind you, I don’t like the current vogue for hoppy craft beers.

Master
    Please read my response above, their bottle design for alcohol free version is very similar.
    My bad, as they say. Quite risky having such similar labels!!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Maysie View Post
    I realise this isn't in strict accordance with your request, but on my self-enforced 'beer free' days I have a Tonic and Tonic (ie a Gin and Tonic, but with no gin).

All served with the usual ceremony attached, nice glass, plenty of ice, wedge of lemon, wedge of lime just missing the actual gin. Somehow it tricks my brain into thinking I am still enjoying an lovely after-works drink, but without the alcohol.
    I do exactly the same - a straight tonic with ice, lime etc, does indeed do a good job of tricking the brain.

Master
    As said the German ones are normally okay.
    Worked abroad and lived in a hotel for a few weeks where the beer garden had a fridge stocked full of bitburger beers I used to like the alcohol free as it meant I'd keep up with the younger guys without the hangover.

I also drink alcohol free Kopperburg although it can be a bit sweet.

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Thanks everyone, I'll investigate the German ones out there. The Gin & tonic without gin wouldn't hurt either.

Quote Originally Posted by Maysie View Post

Same here
    Have you tried it with a dash of Angostura bitters ?
    Superb.

Quote Originally Posted by Tifa View Post
    Same here
    Have you tried it with a dash of Angostura bitters ?
    Superb.
    I haven't tried it, but oddly I was thinking of doing so only a few days ago.
    Will give it a try.

Alcohol free beer

Quote Originally Posted by kultschar View Post
    I drink Becks blue now and then. The trick is that after 2 of them you don’t want another.

I was in Spain last month and tried some of their stuff - tasted much more authentic. Either that or the waiter was taking the Mick and giving me real pints.
    The wife (pregnant) is on Becks Blue at the moment. While we were in Spain she was offered AF Estrella Galicia and she says it’s the closest thing to lager she’s ever had

I packed in drinking 5 years ago and have totally lost the 'taste' for alcohol.

I'd avoided A/F beers as i never liked them previously, but ended up trying an Erdinger. To me, it tasted really good. A great change from my usual ginger beer or tonic & bitters.

I have subsequently tried some de-alcoholised red wine (Natureo?) which was similarly very nice indeed to my taste, but ended up drinking the whole bottle (with zero effects obvs) as no-one else liked it.

I suppose the moral of the tale is that you probably get used to it if you stick with it.

The health benefit I feel from not drinking is remarkable - which is why I stayed off it : far better quality of sleep, aches & pains went, also a good deal of weight. The downside is that everyone else still drinks, so I usually end up having to take my own to drinks parties, but then I know I'll get what I like and that no-one else will drink it.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeB687 View Post
    After a bit of surgery I have been advised to avoid alcohol for a while :-( so have been trying the various alcohol free beers in my local.

The best I can give any of them is 6/10 for a bottled bitter called "Ghost Ship" It tastes ok but just seems to be lacking something (alcohol perhaps!)

While I am happy to remain dry at home, sitting in the juicer sipping orange juice just doesn't track right so I thought I would call upon the TZ massive to share their experience and see if there is an alcohol free beer that actually tastes like beer?

On the plus side I have lost almost a stone since knocking it on the head so I suppose there's some good in everything!
    Adnams Ghost Ship is the best one I've found so far. Actually tastes almost identical to the real Ghost Ship which is a favourite of mine.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Master
    Becks blue and Heineken 0.0 are ok but too gassy, you won't want more than two.
    New year's eve I was the designated driver and so went hunting for some alcohol free stuff. The very very best I've tasted was Pistonhead "flat tyre". It's actually 0.5% so not entirely alcohol free but as good as. Tastes lovely. Heavier than a lager, more like an IPA I suppose.

Erdinger is surprisingly good if you like that sort of thing

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gilford View Post
    That’s funny but i am an only child, life’s not fair

Journeyman

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

None of them worth the bother IMO, just get yourself a coke with ice and lemon and join the banter, no one will bat an eye and you soon forget that you're not drinking beer.
    Last edited by VDG; 8th July 2019 at 21:27.
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by m4ckg View Post
    Erdinger is surprisingly good if you like that sort of thing
    Yep, I'd agree with this - it's not bad at all.

Master
    As above - Erdinger is quite agreeable.

Master
    Just tried Lucky Saint while catching up with today's TdF stage. 0.5% so not strictly alcohol free but surprisingly good taste and feel. Expensive though so I'll be off in search of some Erdinger later in the week!

Journeyman
    Having researched this once, what I've learned is that most of these non-alcoholic beers have 0.5 % of alc, at least over here. And they all taste like ordering a glass of vinegar instead would be less painful.

Did you manage to find anything that tasted good to you? I'm really waiting for a good 0.0 beer! :D

As said - Spain always have a fairly tasty offering wherever I go. Mahou 0.0 is actually good enough to not know the difference.
    No idea why not reflected here - most UK stuff is not nice at all.
    Peroni Zero is not too bad, or I cut a Bud Prohibition Brew with a good shot of lime juice or even a splash of ginger ale, and it passes.

I discovered it was the bubbles, and the cold, that I really needed more than the beer.
    I don’t like too sweet things, so a tonic is a great choice, or a soda water cut with something works too. I still get that refresh hit that the beer usually provides

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    I see no point whatsoever in drinking alcohol free beer. It tastes crap and you are constantly in a state of disappointment. If you are going to have a non-alcoholic drink then do that and enjoy it. Seeing as it's sunny you could go for a virgin cocktail

Lime and soda is the only "session" drink for me. I can sit and have a few of those.

Alcohol free beer can sometimes be just palatable, but only when it's so I've cold you can't taste it. Pointless.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Tried some of this a while back https://www.rothaus.de/en/our-beers/...fle?alter=true as a friend was off the booze for a month or so and it was rather nice. Sadly about double the price of regular lager beers.

If I remember correctly, this was the only one that didn't taste gopping, in fact at the time I had to check that it wasn't normal beer! And I like a good Trappist Ale or strong real ale, so I wasn't expecting anything drinkable.

Maisels Alkoholfrei
    https://www.beersniffers.co.uk/maise...saAh3LEALw_wcB

Master
    Pints of soda water and lime(lots of lime) if I’m on the wagon, it’s only beer if it’s alcoholic anything else is fake, like the knockoff watch from the looky looky man on holiday, and we don’t do them, do we.

I did dry January this year as a bit of a personal challenge (test!) and have kept it going as the benefits have been pretty good. Lost a stone and a half, blood pressure dropped blah blah blah.

Anyway as a result of no alcohol so far in 2019 I have tried a lot of the UK available non alcoholic drinks. Some really are rank (red wine in particular) but I have found Becks Blue (v cold) with a dash of lime works well and Brewdog Nanny State is another really good one. Heineken Zero is also not bad and as mentioned above Ghost Ship. Definitely a growth industry with more seemingly appearing every week in the supermarkets. Works for me.

I usually drink “pimped” tonic water, and find Fever Tree Sicilian Lemon Tonic quite a grown-up drink. Can be tricky to find, although Morrison’s seems to carry it.

For low alcohol beer, Nanny State. I find Beck’s Blue OK, but Peroni awful. Moretti Zero tastes okay

Dave

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Erdinger is the best of the lager style low alcohol drinks but is still too sweet for most beer drinkers. Adnams Ghost Ship and Old Speckled Hen are the most authentic I’ve tried.
    Adnams GS is sold in ‘Spoons’ establishments if you are out & about

What fresh hell is this I've stumbled into ?

;-)
    F.T.F.A.

Master
    I've just tried Budweiser Prohibition Brew (0.05%).

To be honest it doesn't have much substance to it but if you like normal Bud (or Bud Light) then you'll enjoy this, it tastes almost exactly the same.

I picked up a 4 pack of 330ml cans for a quid!!! They've not long on the best before code but I'm not sure beer goes off. (Bought from Fultons. I'm not sure if Fultons are a regional retailer or national, but there is a website called Star Bargains selling the same).

Worth a try since it works out to less than 50p a pint, two cans fill a pint glass with some left over. I was well up for a drink this evening but a pint of that went down an absolute treat after work.

Quote Originally Posted by kevkojak View Post
    I've just tried Budweiser Prohibition Brew (0.05%).

To be honest it doesn't have much substance to it but if you like normal Bud (or Bud Light) then you'll enjoy this, it tastes almost exactly the same.

I picked up a 4 pack of 330ml cans for a quid!!! They've not long on the best before code but I'm not sure beer goes off. (Bought from Fultons. I'm not sure if Fultons are a regional retailer or national, but there is a website called Star Bargains selling the same).

Worth a try since it works out to less than 50p a pint, two cans fill a pint glass with some left over. I was well up for a drink this evening but a pint of that went down an absolute treat after work.

That's quite a bit to pay for canned water.
    F.T.F.A.

Bud is like making love in a canoe.

It’s f*•#<ng close to water.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.