closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Alcohol free beer

Craftsman
    The best I have tried is Heineken 0,0

It doesn’t have any unpleasant aftertaste love Becks Bleu etc.

Craftsman
    If i'm the Driver and i will be drinking zero alcohol beer i know its going to taste "wrong". I start with half a pint of the real stuff mixed with a bottle of zero, then just keep adding zero to the half empty glass. As the taste gets worse you have already become aclimatised.

Therefore i go for the cheapest, currently San Miguel.

https://www.sanmiguel.com/en/producto/san-miguel-00/

We hosted a BBQ last Saturday and muggins here ended up doing all of the cooking - 2 hours worth.

I stayed on zero or very low during the cooking bit as I’d learned by lessons from last time when I was totally bladdered and couldn’t remember how long I’d cooked everything!!

My favourite was Adnams Ghost Ship it comes in a decent sized bottle so it feels like you are having a proper pint. It is 0.5% rather than true non alcohol

Felt very smug the next morning when I woke up fresh as a daisy and the misses had Prosecco fuzziness!!

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

My local has Bavaria, which is ok if predictably bland. A wedge of lime gives it a bit more edge.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sjedwardz View Post
    We hosted a BBQ last Saturday and muggins here ended up doing all of the cooking - 2 hours worth.

I stayed on zero or very low during the cooking bit as I’d learned by lessons from last time when I was totally bladdered and couldn’t remember how long I’d cooked everything!!

My favourite was Adnams Ghost Ship it comes in a decent sized bottle so it feels like you are having a proper pint. It is 0.5% rather than true non alcohol

Felt very smug the next morning when I woke up fresh as a daisy and the misses had Prosecco fuzziness!!

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    Still find Ghost Ship the best, and so low in alcohol as to be pretty safe.
    (Don’t tell Magirus!!)
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    Still find Ghost Ship the best, and so low in alcohol as to be pretty safe.
    (Don’t tell Magirus!!)
    If you like Ghost Ship you will like Old Speckled Hen 0.5% and it’s £3 for 3 500ml bottles at Tesco at the moment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It’s just not right,I’d rather drink pop

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wjkerfoot View Post
    If you like Ghost Ship you will like Old Speckled Hen 0.5% and it’s £3 for 3 500ml bottles at Tesco at the moment.

Thanks, will give it a go as I do like Old Speckled Hen.

Master
    The range of alcohol free or low alcohol beers is just steadily increasing and it’s great. I like a beer as much as the next guy but for some reason my tolerance for the stuff is next to non existent and I have had some colossal hangovers after only a couple of pints. So whilst the alcohol free stuff will never come close to a pint of decent stuff like a nice Chocolate or Imperial Stout for example, it still tastes close enough with a curry or whatever to put you in the same frame of mind just without all the misery the next morning.

Master
    I too had an enforced spell on low alcohol beers and now still have to limit my consumption. Big drop do a pale, stout and a lager. The pale won an award, unlike some this is brewed to 0.5 rather than having the
    alcohol removed.

Tesco and Holland and Barret stock it, certainly the best I’ve had although not tried the lager.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by StuS View Post
    I too had an enforced spell on low alcohol beers and now still have to limit my consumption. Big drop do a pale, stout and a lager. The pale won an award, unlike some this is brewed to 0.5 rather than having the
    alcohol removed.

Tesco and Holland and Barret stock it, certainly the best I’ve had although not tried the lager.
    Just read some reviews of the Big Drop Stout and I will endeavour to find it and try it as it sounds great and will fill the void / desire for such types of beer.. for some reason dark ales like stouts, whilst being my favourite, are the ones that punish me the most in terms of how awful I feel so.. be interesting to see if a low alcohol one has the same effect! Cheers.

Craftsman
    Never really understood people that want to drink beer and not get pissed/tipsy and other people that want to drink stuff that tastes like lemonade that gets you pissed..strange world

Master
    Big drop available mail order from here https://www.hollandandbarrett.com/sh...op-brewing-co/

Master
    Men’s tits

Quote Originally Posted by Hooshabak View Post
    Men’s tits
    Tell me more ;)

I popped into the Whole Foods over the weekend and bought a couple of bottles to see if my initial impressions have changed. Well.. The Ghost Ship had a familiar notes but it’s far from the satisfying depths of the real thing. Jupiler wasn’t actually bad if you like fruity beers. I have high hopes for Maisel's Weisse which I haven’t tried yet and other German beers like Pauliner, Franziskaner, Erdinger etc Also look forward trying Leffe Blond 0.0
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by VDG View Post
    Tell me more ;)

I popped into the Whole Foods over the weekend and bought a couple of bottles to see if my initial impressions have changed. Well.. The Ghost Ship had a familiar notes but it’s far from the satisfying depths of the real thing. Jupiler wasn’t actually bad if you like fruity beers. I have high hopes for Maisel's Weisse which I haven’t tried yet and other German beers like Pauliner, Franziskaner, Erdinger etc Also look forward trying Leffe Blond 0.0
    The German ones all tend to taste kind of similar.. they have isotonic / malt style taste about them which, if you have ever drank something like Vitamalz whilst in Germany, will seem slightly familiar. Personally I like them but I think for some, stuff like Vitamalz is an acquired taste.

Craftsman
    German Lager with < 0.5 Alc. by volume: JEVER Fun
    German Wheat Beers < 0.5 Alc. by volume are more popular nowadays than non alcoholic lagers, as there is more flavor in a Wheat beer and top fermenting yeast. Some are too malty sweet as previously posted.
    A new style of German < 0.5 Alc. by volume lager is coming up that uses a yeast strain that does not ferment much and these alc free beers are unfiltered (like a Keller/Zwickl) and the flavour is quite nice.
    0.0 Alc. is really hard to produce, the breweries who offer this have spent a huge amount on alc. removal systems. Unfortunately beer alcohol does carry a lot of flavour in the product, so you are always missing something. At least in Britain, people are used to low alcohol ales, in Germany, you have to look hard to find a beer below 4.9 % Alc. by volume. Its a shame, as one can brew beautiful beers at the 2.8% mark. Perfect for a thirsty summer session.
    Last edited by bmwrover; 23rd July 2019 at 10:12.

Quote Originally Posted by Tifa View Post
    Same here
    Have you tried it with a dash of Angostura bitters ?
    Superb.
    This (and tonic) has now been a regular evening tipple for the past week.

Very nice! Thanks for the tip.

Apprentice
    Got some Baltika 0.5% Russian low alcohol lager in Aldi the other day, surprisingly good. Way better than Heineken 0 for my tastes anyway.

If driving, or working early the next day, and a night out couldn't be avoided due to family commitments or whatever, it would be nice to be able to have a pint of draught very low alcohol lager. Is this happening anywhere?
    Last edited by Ruggertech; 3rd August 2019 at 10:24. Reason: Mispell

Master
    I was at a barbecue last weekend and the designated driver. I had an Estrella alcohol free which was ok. I could finish a bottle but didn’t relish a second one. It was probably the most drinkable alcohol free beer I’ve tried. Tonic & tonic is my usual choice but even that gets dull after a while.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruggertech View Post
    If driving, or working early the next day, and a night out couldn't be avoided due to family commitments or whatever, it would be nice to be able to have a pint of draught very low alcohol lager. Is this happening anywhere?
    Not sure about lager but saw Adnams Ghost Ship 0.5% in loads of pubs in Suffolk. Good taste. (if you like the normal Ghost Ship)

Master
    Blog Entries
    The best alcohol free (well, very low) larger I've ever had was from Sainsbury's. Called Czech Lager - 0.5%.

What I tend to stick to now is the supermarket budget stuff. 2% and quite palatable when icy cold. Both Sainsbury's and Morrisons are ok. Not much street cred at the tills but six of those over an evening leaves you bright eyed and bushy tailed the following morning.

Craftsman
    I've tried many alcohol free beers but it never seems or tastes right, on a par with vegetarian burgers. I'd rather have a lime soda or virgin cocktail. Some bars do a really good "virgin & tonic" that is a convincing long drink that doesn't have your mates asking "what's up with you" and treating you like an outcast because you want to stay sober!

I'm just about to start chemotherapy and one of the side effects of the drugs I've been prescribed is apparently a lack of appetite for dairy and alcohol so will be interesting how that pans out.

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    Not sure about lager but saw Adnams Ghost Ship 0.5% in loads of pubs in Suffolk. Good taste. (if you like the normal Ghost Ship)
    Thanks, I'm nowhere near that neck of the woods, but good to know its starting. Quite handy for a cheeky cheat when on a session that's becoming a bit of a struggle also wink wink.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by broxie View Post
    I'm just about to start chemotherapy and one of the side effects of the drugs I've been prescribed is apparently a lack of appetite for dairy and alcohol so will be interesting how that pans out.
    Fingers crossed for you; hope all goes to plan

Quote Originally Posted by broxie View Post

I guess if you don't have a hankering for alcohol you probably won't be bothered about trying alcohol free beer either.
    And I wish you the very best of luck with your treatment, my thoughts are with you.

Craftsman
    Thanks for the kind words, I didn't mean to hijack the thread, in fact after reading the moving mental health thread, I was going to search or start a post about cancer. In fact I'll do that now.

Master
    Alcohol free beer? Nope I don't understand, is that like Fosters or Carling?

Quote Originally Posted by nunya View Post
    Alcohol free beer? Nope I don't understand, is that like Fosters or Carling?

No. It's even more like p**s than they are.

;-)

F.T.F.A.

I have been trying these so you don't have to.

Winner : Clausthaler Unfiltered

Runner up : Infnite Session IPA

You're welcome

Brewdog's Nanny State is the best I've tried.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries

Alcohol free beer

Quote Originally Posted by Caruso View Post
    Brewdog's Nanny State is the best I've tried.

Isn’t it strange how taste’s differ, I absolutely hated this.

Quote Originally Posted by wjkerfoot View Post
    Isn’t it strange how taste’s differ, I absolutely hated this.

It's the only one I've found so far with any real flavour, but if it's not a flavour you like that would explain it.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Caruso View Post
    It's the only one I've found so far with any real flavour, but if it's not a flavour you like that would explain it.
    Have you tried Old Speckled Hen 0.5%?

Craftsman
    I quite like the Henikan stuff.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    No. It's even more like p**s than they are.

;-)

Tried this at the London craft beer festival last night.

The best I have ever tasted. Highly recommended.