closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: FlyBe Hand Luggage

Journeyman

FlyBe Hand Luggage

Hi all,

I'm flying on FlyBe tomorrow - domestic flight. Haven't flown on this particular route (Manchester to Exeter) for years and just noticed that the hand luggage sizing is a little draconian. 55x35x20. I'm really struggling to find a case that fits within that in time for my trip tomorrow as all the ones I can lay my hands on at short notice are 55x40x21. Anyone flown on FlyBe recently and know if this will be a problem - my memory of them previously is that they'll do anything they can to extract the extra £50 out of you to place the bag in the hold. Any advice gratefully received!

cheers,

Simon

I’ve flown with them a few times recently (internal flights) and it’s something they definitely enforce I’m afraid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    Bugger! Thanks for letting me know. Looks like I might have to go on a bit of a luggage hunt tomorrow before my flight.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    There is one at Argos that is 55 x 36 x 19, item number 790/8370

or you could borrow mine, not too far away from you.

Journeyman
    That's really kind! But that's putting you to too much trouble. Thank you a million times for the offer though. Argos here I come I think!

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jestermedia View Post
    That's really kind! But that's putting you to too much trouble. Thank you a million times for the offer though. Argos here I come I think!
    As a last resort you are more than welcome

I'll probably be hit with their charge today. They are checking every bag and case on every flight I've been on this year and I've been flying on average every couple of weeks so far.

There are some very annoyed passengers - but they have been sending repeat emails to remind people. I just bought a few too many items this trip, do my usually fine rucksack is bursting at the seams lol. The overhead locker is tiny on the flybe planes, compared to most, so it's understandable.

Fingers crossed.
    It's just a matter of time...

Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    I'll probably be hit with their charge today. They are checking every bag and case on every flight I've been on this year and I've been flying on average every couple of weeks so far.

There are some very annoyed passengers - but they have been sending repeat emails to remind people. I just bought a few too many items this trip, do my usually fine rucksack is bursting at the seams lol. The overhead locker is tiny on the flybe planes, compared to most, so it's understandable.

Fingers crossed.
    One of the reasons I avoid flying out of the IoM whenever possible. Prefer the boat any day.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by wjkerfoot View Post
    There is one at Argos that is 55 x 36 x 19, item number 790/8370

or you could borrow mine, not too far away from you.
    Bought one of these last week for Flybe to Aberdeen.

Lots of teeth-gnashing from the Fly-be staff when they couldn’t charge!

If that one isn’t in stock, can also recommend the “silver” coloured poly-carbon version from the same make “IT”.

Good luck!

Master
    Flew with them from Exeter to Faro a couple of weeks back and they were checking cabin sizes.

On top of that all 10 seats that we’d pre booked and paid for were changed on both flights! On the return journey even the cabin manager commented to passengers that it was ‘“like they had taken everyone’s ticket, thrown them up in the air and handed them out randomly’. Doesn’t surprise me that they have had all true problems.

Quote Originally Posted by draftsmann View Post
    One of the reasons I avoid flying out of the IoM whenever possible. Prefer the boat any day.
    I've had too many dodgy crossings on the ferry, but still use it for every bike trip and a car to or two each year. The convenience/speed of flying to some destinations tends to win out.

I've bought some, not really, duty free, so have some extra space in that bag to transfer some clothes from the rucksack - so I might just make the size limit :)
    It's just a matter of time...

FlyBe Hand Luggage

It is starting to look like you need a different bag with every airline nowadays as hardly any of them have the same size regulations.

I recently got stuck with easyJet with a bag I have used with them for years. 1cm to wide apparently and so €60 hit!

It’s enough to make you give up on the low cost carriers as I hate this baggage lotto every time you go to the airport

Master
    The message is obvious, hand luggage is a PITA because it slows the boarding and exiting process. The boarding and departure process would be much smoother if no one had to lift a small suitcase in and out of the locker. Everything should go in the hold with just very small items such as a jackets and hats going into the overhead locker.

The staff hate hand luggage.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    The message is obvious, hand luggage is a PITA because it slows the boarding and exiting process. The boarding and departure process would be much smoother if no one had to lift a small suitcase in and out of the locker. Everything should go in the hold with just very small items such as a jackets and hats going into the overhead locker.

The staff hate hand luggage.
    Meanwhile Mick, back in the real world...

I fly every two weeks on average. Sometimes I carry cash. Sometimes I carry a couple of watches. I always carry two iPhones two iPads and an old iPod plus a case stuffed with online banking keypads. If I’m travelling light I’ll also have a Windows tablet. If it’s a longer trip I’ll have a laptop too. I don’t carry clothes or toiletries or shoes because like you I’m shuttling between homes but I still have to carry the paraphernalia of a busy working person. I do however pay for an EasyJet plus card and always without fail book priority boarding on flights.

Master
    Meanwhile Mick, back in the real world...

I fly every two weeks on average. Sometimes I carry cash. Sometimes I carry a couple of watches. I always carry two iPhones two iPads and an old iPod plus a case stuffed with online banking keypads. If I’m travelling light I’ll also have a Windows tablet. If it’s a longer trip I’ll have a laptop too. I don’t carry clothes or toiletries or shoes because like you I’m shuttling between homes but I still have to carry the paraphernalia of a busy working person. I do however pay for an EasyJet plus card and always without fail book priority boarding on flights.
    I average 12 return flights a year, so between us we are making a right mess of the environment.

My aim is to board EasyJet with just my passport and boarding pass. Everything else goes in the suitcase in the hold.

I average 12 return flights a year, so between us we are making a right mess of the environment.
    Good for you on 'fessing up'.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Master
    One understands Mick's post, though: the problem is that so many people take the p***. On some airlines you conscientiously try to fulfil the conditions only to watch others marching on with absurdly over-sized bags. BA are probably the worst at not policing things, which of course encourages the boarding scrum, since people are then anxious to get on and grab what they know is - thanks to them - limited space.

Also true that varying Ts&Cs is very unfair to the customer. [1] A standardised, modest carry-on size which was then [2] actually policed would be a blessing.

The basis of civilisation is self-restraint, but there can't be any environment less conducive to selfless behaviour than modern flying...

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom-P View Post

The basis of civilisation is self-restraint, but there can't be any environment less conducive to selfless behaviour than modern flying...
    Amen to that!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Hate Flybe. And Exeter airport has more than its fair share of idiotic jobsworths.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom-P View Post
    One understands Mick's post, though: the problem is that so many people take the p***. On some airlines you conscientiously try to fulfil the conditions only to watch others marching on with absurdly over-sized bags. BA are probably the worst at not policing things, which of course encourages the boarding scrum, since people are then anxious to get on and grab what they know is - thanks to them - limited space.

Also true that varying Ts&Cs is very unfair to the customer. [1] A standardised, modest carry-on size which was then [2] actually policed would be a blessing.

I totally agree - lost count of how many times I've got to the row of seats I've booked for the family to find the overhead locker already full with oversized backs and are left distributing hand luggage all over the plane.

My aim is to board EasyJet with just my passport and boarding pass. Everything else goes in the suitcase in the hold.
    You don’t use a mobile phone, tablet, Kindle, music player or even take a paperback with you? You must be better than me at making scintillating conversation with the random person in the next seat!

Master
    You don’t use a mobile phone, tablet, Kindle, music player or even take a paperback with you? You must be better than me at making scintillating conversation with the random person in the next seat!
    I snooze, simple as that.

Master
    As ex BA cabin crew - the best time was after 9/11 when everyone was only allowed a small transparent plastic bag for essentials in the cabin - oh, if only that had been maintained.
    Whatever rules and/or limits are put upon your ticket conditions, most will try to push or exceed those.

Master

FlyBe Hand Luggage

I often find BA are the worst at enforcing their baggage rules. You just need to look at the “priority” line with pretty much every person had a case, a laptop bag and a n other bag. The reason they want on first is to make sure all of their luggage goes in the overhead locker, even those with the yellow “under the seat” label attached. I’ve seen so many people board with ridiculous amounts of cabin baggage.

We tend to only fly BA on medium to long haul, their cabin allowance is super generous so we now do “carry on” for a 2-3 week holiday, just toiletries are a pain.
    One memorable Flybe flight out of Exeter a number of years ago, when cabin baggage was limited to 5kgs, and we were doing carry on only to Tenerife, they weighed our bags and said they were too heavy, the empty bag weighed almost 3 kg, so would have to go in the hold. So the both of use took out all our clothes and layered up, underwear stuffed down jeans and two hats on head, got it down to 5 kg but looked proper berks. Check in staff complained that we couldn’t do that, why not? And had to let us through.
    Stupid thing was after we went through check in and out of sight, quickly took everything off and stuffed it back in bags then went onto security for bag checks, well guess who was doing the security bag checks, the same woman who had done our check in, multitasking, damn we going to get caught out, but not even a glimmer of recognition as she checked our bags and sent us through.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Neilw3030 View Post
    We tend to only fly BA on medium to long haul, their cabin allowance is super generous so we now do “carry on” for a 2-3 week holiday, just toiletries are a pain.
    One memorable Flybe flight out of Exeter a number of years ago, when cabin baggage was limited to 5kgs, and we were doing carry on only to Tenerife, they weighed our bags and said they were too heavy, the empty bag weighed almost 3 kg, so would have to go in the hold. So the both of use took out all our clothes and layered up, underwear stuffed down jeans and two hats on head, got it down to 5 kg but looked proper berks. Check in staff complained that we couldn’t do that, why not? And had to let us through.
    Stupid thing was after we went through check in and out of sight, quickly took everything off and stuffed it back in bags then went onto security for bag checks, well guess who was doing the security bag checks, the same woman who had done our check in, multitasking, damn we going to get caught out, but not even a glimmer of recognition as she checked our bags and sent us through.
    Hand baggage weight rules are stupid and designed as cash-gatherers. Some 9 stone guy who is a fraction overweight on his hand luggage gets penalised, some 18 stone lump who is a fraction underweight on his hand luggage sails through without penalty.

I fly from Exeter a lot and the current cabin bag size is a royal pain in the backside as it’s smaller than just about any other airline. Strangely it seems it’s only certain routes and times. that they check. It’s quite possible to be accosted by the bag police on one leg of the trip and ignored on the other. Anyway, I have a Kipling soft sided wheeled cabin bag which is within limits. Widely available and because it’s soft you have a fighting chance of getting it in the sizer if required. Kipling bags are top quality btw.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07DRJ5G...detail_2?psc=1
    Last edited by Scrubnut; 9th July 2019 at 06:49.

I've only flown FlyBe once, I carried an eBags Motherlode Weekender Junior and a Billingham Hadley Small which was within the allowance and enough for several days away. I try to avoid budget airlines when possible but there is sometimes no other option. I generally travel with hand luggage only as no hold load = no queuing at check in or waiting at the luggage carousel = more time to spend with family & friends.