closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Watford to London local knowledge please...

Watford to London local knowledge please...

In a couple of weeks I'm taking the family to Harry Potter studios in Watford, booked in on a Friday afternoon visit, and staying at the Watford Hilton that night. We’ll be driving down form York.

On Saturday we plan visit to the Natural History Museum, so my question is; How do we best get from Watford to central London? Would you drive and park somewhere close enough to get the tube, or leave the car at the hotel and get the train in from Watford?

We’ll need to get back out of London in the afternoon so I can drive back home at a reasonable time.

Blog Entries
    If you get the right train, it's only fifteen mins from Euston to Watford Junction each way. Underground from Euston.

Blog Entries
    If you're staying at the Watford Hilton (I assume this is the one on the A41 just South of J5 of the M1), then I would suggest you drive to Bushey Station, which is about 2 miles (5mins) away and closer than Watford Junction from the Hilton. Parking is freely available on the roads to the West of the station, especially on a Saturday (very limited on the East side). London Euston is only 15-20 mins away on the London Midland "fast train" service (from Plat 6) or 50mins on the London Overground "slow train" service from Plat 2.

Feel free to PM me if you need any further info.
    Last edited by vagabond; 8th July 2019 at 12:05.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by vagabond View Post
    If you're staying at the Watford Hilton (I assume this is the one on the A41 just South of J5 of the M1), then I would suggest you drive to Bushey Station, which is about 2 miles (5mins) away and closer than Watford Junction from the Hilton. Parking is freely available on the roads to the West of the station, especially on a Saturday (very limited on the East side). London Euston is only 15-20 mins away on the London Midland "fast train" service (from Plat 6) or 50mins on the London Overground "slow train" service from Plat 2.

Feel free to PM me if you need any further info.
    If you do get the slow train, you can change at Harrow and Wealdstone for a faster one. Personally, I never bother, just sit on the slow one and read.

The tube station at Stanmore is only ten minutes drive from The Hilton.
    I’ve used this a couple of times to get to Wembley although there would be a fair number is stops getting in to central London.

Master
    I commute into London daily from just outside watford and as has been mentioned below Bushey will be your best bet from the Hilton but Watford junction is easy enough as well

Cockfosters station is a few junctions along the M25 and whilst a further drive, parking at the station is good for spaces and as its the Picadilly line theres no changes and will go to South Kensington the NHM is a couple of mins walk from there.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Blog Entries
    For me it would be Stanmore to Green Park change and South Ken is a couple of stops away and just be aware the Watford Hilton does not have AC.

Quote Originally Posted by thegoat View Post
    The tube station at Stanmore is only ten minutes drive from The Hilton.
    I’ve used this a couple of times to get to Wembley although there would be a fair number is stops getting in to central London.
    Stanmore for Wembley. Yes indeed.

Thanks for the input everyone. We opted to drive to Cockfosters, got parked outside (£5 for 24 hours) and the Piccadilly Line to both locations.

Driving home via the A1 was good too, late Saturday afternoon, Cockfosters to York in 3 hours 15 with no hold-ups.

A quick add on to this thread and a request for a bit of advice from our London friends.
    We are coming to London at the end of next month and as a bit of a surprise i would like to take the tribe to the Harry Potter studio tour on Sunday 1st Sptember.
    We will be staying at the Barbican Thistle in Shoreditch. What would be our best way of getting to the studios . Thanks

Craftsman

Depends..

Quote Originally Posted by Jega View Post
    A quick add on to this thread and a request for a bit of advice from our London friends.
    We are coming to London at the end of next month and as a bit of a surprise i would like to take the tribe to the Harry Potter studio tour on Sunday 1st Sptember.
    We will be staying at the Barbican Thistle in Shoreditch. What would be our best way of getting to the studios . Thanks
    Massively on which day & time you intend to travel. Driving can be affected to a significant degree by a single incident such as an accident or last minute roadworks. Do you plan on driving or are you open to public transport options?

Quote Originally Posted by hops View Post
    Massively on which day & time you intend to travel. Driving can be affected to a significant degree by a single incident such as an accident or last minute roadworks. Do you plan on driving or are you open to public transport options?
    Thanks for the reply , we will be using public transport .

Download the Citymapper app. It’s free and will give you the best public transport options between your hotel and Watford for the day.

Buy tickets for the studio tour first, they sell out well in advance –*the website shows tickets are sold out for the 1st Sept already. It's an excellent day out though.